• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes S&B PMII 5x25 explanations

Sbui

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2013
Ok, so I know there are different reticles and between mil and moa, besides that can someone school me on the different versions of this scope?

There are price differences between different ones and haven’t been able to figure it out.

Options that affect cost include: illuminated reticle, more tactical clicks (mtc) or double turn (dt), locking turret (lt), counter clockwise (ccw) or clockwise (cw)

Last edited:
Pretty sure MTC means More Tactile Clicks. Each click has a more noticeable detent and is easier to distinguish. And also makes it harder to dial 0.1 without going over.

Reactions: Vargmat
Ok, so I know there are different reticles and between mil and moa, besides that can someone school me on the different versions of this scope?

There are price differences between different ones and haven’t been able to figure it out.

Standard double turn turrets = less cost
MTC turrets = substantially more cost

Except for reticle costs, the turrets play the biggest part in affecting price. That is my experience with S&B when you’re discussing the 5-25.

As mentioned above, the MTC turrets almost always skip past the .1 mil mark. You have two choices.

1: turn it past .1, then back and likely need to look at the turret

2: dial to your closest whole mil and then hold over or under as needed (I’m not sure, but I’d bet this was a big consideration in the design of the turret. Something where an operator could stay on their rifle, easily count the mils to get as close as possible and make holdover adjusts in the heat of battle)

Not sure it is clear from the above post. The MTC is every 10Th click (1 Mil) is heavier. With practice you can get it so you do not dial past. It's an OK feature but I would not pay much extra for it.

Not sure it is clear from the above post. The MTC is every 10Th click (1 Mil) is heavier. With practice you can get it so you do not dial past. It's an OK feature but I would not pay much extra for it.

I haven’t met anyone who can consistently dial to 1/10 mil past the mtc under time/pressure. By consistently, I mean confident enough they always only dial .1 past without over traveling to .2 or .3 and not needing to look at their turret to make sure. Now, you can click it over to the whole mil and then consciously barely turn it and get on .1 mil fairly consistently, but you’ll take as much or more time than coming off the cheek to check it. And you’ll still probably over click a decent amount of the time.

This is the only complaint I typically see with the mtc turrets.

I agree, it’s not worth the premium they charge for it. I wanted an LRR reticle now, so I hade to go with mtc.

Last edited:
Reactions: W54/XM-388
Reference the MTC turrets, I’m guessing they made them for guys dialing on dope in the dark to be able to more quickly differentiate whole mils. In your experience is that accomplished or do you just lose count when you go past the full mil detent?

Reference the MTC turrets, I’m guessing they made them for guys dialing on dope in the dark to be able to more quickly differentiate whole mils. In your experience is that accomplished or do you just lose count when you go past the full mil detent?

Depends on the person. It’s very easy to count the full mils. You typically will slip from a full mil to the .2 or .3 mil detent. If you consistently slip to the same 1/10 mil, then you could do it. I seem to consistently slip to the .2 mil.

Personally if I were to use this at night or in a combat situation, and say I needed 2.4 mils, I would dial 2 mils and hold the .4. If I need 2.8 mils, I would dial 3 mils and hold under .2.

To me, that is the only way I would trust myself with the MTC in the dark or not looking at the turrets.

It’s extremely easy to dial whole mils and to be honest, for the situations the mtc turrets were likely designed for, they are awesome.

Reactions: Eostech
Standard double turn turrets = less cost
MTC turrets = substantially more cost

Except for reticle costs, the turrets play the biggest part in affecting price. That is my experience with S&B when you’re discussing the 5-25.

As mentioned above, the MTC turrets almost always skip past the .1 mil mark. You have two choices.

1: turn it past .1, then back and likely need to look at the turret

2: dial to your closest whole mil and then hold over or under as needed (I’m not sure, but I’d bet this was a big consideration in the design of the turret. Something where an operator could stay on their rifle, easily count the mils to get as close as possible and make holdover adjusts in the heat of battle)

Then what is up with the CCW and CW turns on the dials?

Personal preference, but CCW is more popular. You can often find CW at discounts.

Price is it the same from the manufacturer, but CW is often discounted from the seller's because they don't sell as well.

Reactions: RTH1800
CCW is more popular in the USA. Not so much in European/foreign countries. I have a buddy from S Africa, ex-military, and another from Italy, ex-LEO, and all their S&Bs are CW.

Personal preference, but CCW is more popular. You can often find CW at discounts.
What does the CCW and CW referee I’m a bit confused. Clockwise only or counter clockwise? Somebody please elaborate what is that really mean

What does the CCW and CW referee I’m a bit confused. Clockwise only or counter clockwise? Somebody please elaborate what is that really mean

The direction you turn the elevation turret.

Most are counter clockwise

Buy the one that operates like the threads of a screw so you will never forget which way to adjust your turrets as long as you think of the top of the turret as the cap of a screw.......

Righty equals tighty and also down and left.

Lefty loosey equals up and right.

Reactions: b6graham
I like CW because just like a clock winding up from 0 to 12 or 24 it's the same thing, as you go clockwise the elevation adjustment increases.

Depends on the person. It’s very easy to count the full mils. You typically will slip from a full mil to the .2 or .3 mil detent. If you consistently slip to the same 1/10 mil, then you could do it. I seem to consistently slip to the .2 mil.

Personally if I were to use this at night or in a combat situation, and say I needed 2.4 mils, I would dial 2 mils and hold the .4. If I need 2.8 mils, I would dial 3 mils and hold under .2.

To me, that is the only way I would trust myself with the MTC in the dark or not looking at the turrets.

It’s extremely easy to dial whole mils and to be honest, for the situations the mtc turrets were likely designed for, they are awesome.

As an option, I would take MTC to non MTC any day but it is a feature which probably feels different for each manufacturers turrets. Im comfortable using MTCs unseen with my current setup if I need to but there is obviously practise behind that.

Ive handled a few MTC scopes where the jump of .2-.3 after the full mil was a problem. I bought the MTC/LT turrets on mine, and the detent is not as pronounced as the MTC-only (not locking), so I don't have the issue of jumping.

Personally I find the MTC to not be worth it for me.
However if you needed quick 1 mil jumps in the dark then it might be a perfect idea for you.

I have 3 of the 5-25s all with the DT (double turn) turrets. I do not find the MTC (more tactile clicks) and LT (locking turrets) to be functions have add value to me. I can never get the MTC turrets to go to X.1 or X.2 it always shoots past and then I have to dial back down. If my dope was always in the X.7 to X.9 range maybe it would be fine. This is me though - maybe I would eventually get used to it.

The MTC on the low profile S&Bs is nicer than those found on the 3-20s and the 5-25s IMO.

All of mine are CCW as that seems to be the North American standard and the CWs have a tougher time selling it seems.

I have both CW and CCW S&B 5-25s. I have found both of them at incredible discounts over the years, and I haven't hesitated to buy either one if the price is right. Turret rotation direction is not a deal breaker for me. It takes 2 seconds to look at the turret and get oriented.

I think it might be a bigger deal to someone using the scope in the dark in, say, a more serious environment. Then I can understand having consistency across rifle platforms and the importance of muscle memory.

All my s and b’s have the DT turrets excepts the new 5x45 which only comes with the mtc which I do not like....