• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes S&B turret range question

Sloblk8

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2014
Long time lurker and finally in the long range game so now i have reasons to ask questions lol.

I did search but saw nothing in regard to my specific question. I bought a second hand S&B PM II 5-25 scope. It is the double turn and it only goes to 21.6 mils but the turret range goes to 26 mils. I assume it's that way because of the zeroing process and after it's zeroed you lose some adjustment range. I just figured the turret would go to the highest indicated position. Is that why S&B recommend a 45 moa mount? It's in a 20 moa mount currently. The scope is awesome by the way and just making sure I'm looking at it correctly. Thanks for the help.

Good evening,
I posed your post to my S&B tech rep and he replied:

"He is probably mounted on a 20 MOA rail and cartridge dependent it may be more adjustment than he needs.

In the case all 26 mil is needed he is advised to mount it on a 40 MOA cant.'

Good evening,
I posed your post to my S&B tech rep and he replied:

"He is probably mounted on a 20 MOA rail and cartridge dependent it may be more adjustment than he needs.

In the case all 26 mil is needed he is advised to mount it on a 40 MOA cant.'

Thanks for the reply. I'm shooting a 6.5 creedmoor so I definitely don't need that much adjustment, I'm right on the edge of where I'd like to be as I'm trying to stretch it out to a mile. I was really more curious to just make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong. Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it.

I just received another e-mail from him stating
"I didn't read the entire post so I didn't see that he stated having a 20 moa base.
For future reference a flat rail on a 5-25 will get you about 13 mil, 30 will get you around 22-23 and a 40 will allow all 26 if needed."

One thing to note, when you use a 40+ Moa base, your site picture at your zero may look oblong.

I've been wrestling with this same question, and trying to decide if I need rings with additional cant for the same scope on a 7-300WM (Surgeon 1086) and a 338 NM (Deviant LA), or if the built in 20MOA base is adequate.

Are you saying this is true for the PMII in a 40moa base, or was this a general statement?
Have a PMII 5-25x56 mounted on Deviant action with a Spuhr 4601 mount which gives me a total of 40 MOA. 100 yard zero with no distortion. Have to go back and check the total elevation but believe it was just under 23 mils.

Reactions: 4-Co LR
All sounds fine.
If it's a second hand scope, the zero stop is probably set for the previous owner's setup.
You're always going to lose a bit of travel when you zero... no biggie.
Leave the 20MOA rail, stop typing... go shoot more. ;)

Have a PMII 5-25x56 mounted on Deviant action with a Spuhr 4601 mount which gives me a total of 40 MOA. 100 yard zero with no distortion. Have to go back and check the total elevation but believe it was just under 23 mils.

Not the image that is distorted but the viewable area is not round but oblong because the top is cut off.