• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns S&W BodyGuard 380

VTgunner

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2009
Fredericksburg, VA
I'm looking for a small .380 for a summer conceal/glovebox gun. I've heard some decent things about the Bodyguard but want some opinions. The last thing I found on here was from 6 months ago so I'm looking for some updates. The P238 is out of my price range at the moment so I'm really just looking for stuff on the Bodyguard because I get a LEO/military discount.

I don't want a caliber debate, I carry a Glock 32 (.357SIG) 99% of the time I just want something smaller as a backup type gun.

Thanks guys.

Re: S&W BodyGuard 380

I also shot one this past Sunday at the range. The guys shooting next to me had one and after some discussion offered for me to shoot it. It was reasonably accurate for such a small gun ~3" at 7 yards and functioned flawlessly. However the owner did complain of light primer strikes with the steel cased Tula ammo that he was using. He mentioned that WWB went off without a hitch. After shooting it I'm looking into one was it was a nice size, shot reasonably well for its size and the laser is a nice addition.

They have a pretty heavy trigger pull but one of my co-workers has one and he likes it especially for the price. I believe at SHOT Sig is making a SIG-P238 in .9mm and its not supposed to be much bigger than the .380. You might want to hold off and wait.

I have plenty of 9mm's (P226, G19, G34) plus my G32 and others. I want something small and slim that won't cost me $700 like a SIG 238 or 938 would and isn't as bulky as a G26/27/33. This is why I was looking at the Bodyguard.

I own one, and carry it when I am wearing a suit. Otherwise it resides in the safe. I figured out quickly that the laser's position varies greatly, and is impossible to see during the day. Also, holster options are limited. I use an Intruder IWB. The other issues with the laser is that the placement of the activator switch is good in theory, but activated by the holster with normal movement, causing batteries to die quickly. I gave up and took the batteries out.

The sights suck, but it is damn accurate if you become accustomed to the long, heavy trigger pull. I put on XS 24/7 tritium dot sights, and it made all the difference. The feature that stands out the most is that the slide locks back on an empty mag.

As a backup, or an occasional carry, I believe the Bodyguard 380 fits the bill. For edc, I found that I like my Glocks better. I think with what you are looking to do with it, the BG should do everything you are asking from it.

I already owned a Ruger LCP w/ a Crimson on it. I too had the chance and all the deputies and I got a local dealership talked into doing a group buy for us on the S&W bodyguard 380. I was hoping for a better trigger than the LCP. We got them for $275 out the door. I had mine for 3 days and sold it.

The trigger was not at all better than the LCP and it might not as well of had a laser because 10 out of the 14 that we ordered needed two fingers pushing on each side of the pistol to get the laser to engage and turn on. Not that you need a laser to shoot a pistol but if it is there it should be easily turned on. The Crimson on the LCP does that. When I grip the pistol it is already on b/c the pressure switch is on the front strap of the grip and normal grips activates it.

That being said, I did like that the Bodyguard locked open on the last round and it did have better sights than the LCP.

But like I said, and this is only my opinion. I was hoping it was better than the LCP and it WAS NOT. It went down the road and I carry the LCP as a backup along with my G21sf. My 2 cents.

I dont know where your finding these P238 for $700... bought mine for $500 and since then have seen several local sell for $450.

Shot all 3 of these pistols looking for something for my wife to carry.
LCP W/laser- reliable, accurate, laser quick and easy. no slide lock and a TERRIBLE trigger. long and heavy stacking.
Bodygaurd - very bad laser, better trigger, slide locks
P238 w/laser - best by far. same laser as lcp. reliable and easy to shoot. actually has good sights. good trigger. has a safety. slide lock.

I would put bodyguard at the bottom of these 3. P238, LCP, BG but its a close call on the lcp/BG

The Kahr P380 is a great little gun.

Yeah you picked the one pistol on gunbroker that wasn't $550 and up. I just searched and almost everything is at least $550. Plus the magazines are about $40-45 a pop as well. Bodyguard mags are $19.99 a pop on Midway.

If I were looking for a Sig I would have asked about it and not mentioned it was out of my price range in the first post.

I also have a p238 & a LCP I like both but the Sig is a better gun IMHO. Both will fit the backup gun role well. They both have ate all the different ammo I have feed them. I Sig needed a few rounds down the pipe for break in. I had a few FTF and a couple of mags dumps that don't lock the slide back. After a 100 rounds and gun now works flawlessly. I have also run the PRomag clip in the Sig with great success and they only about $20 I think. Wish you where near by I'd let you try them both out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have plenty of 9mm's (P226, G19, G34) plus my G32 and others. I want something small and slim that won't cost me $700 like a SIG 238 or 938 would and isn't as bulky as a G26/27/33. This is why I was looking at the Bodyguard. </div></div>

Well Brother you did not say that cost was a factor, and you asked for opinions. The 938s 9mm are just .4 inches longer and .6 inches higher and are the same width as the .380. If you want quality the Sig is the way to go, and if you can carry a 9mm instead of a .380 and they are essientaly the same gun???????? Not to get into a cailber debate. If you want a .380 to just have arounde and also add to your collection its all good. I know the cost of some things are high in VT but 700 is a bit much. There used to be a good gun shop around Stowe that was reasonable but its been along time since I was there. For the lower costing .380s the body guard will be about as good as your gonna get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well Brother you did not say that cost was a factor, </div></div>

I said that Sig was out of my price range in my first post....

The place you're thinking of is Parro's, they're the police supplier in the state.

Ya know I missed that my bad lol. Glad to see they are still in business

Group buy...$275 out the door for a Bodyguard? I'm pretty sure that's at or below dealer cost on the damn things. If it has better sights and trigger than the LCP, then why sell it and keep the LCP, even if the laser is useless?

If you're just wanting a glovebox or back up gun then go with a revolver. I've always felt safer knowing there is a revolver in the glovebox as opposed to a semi auto. When moisture, condensation, heat, and cold variations are a constant factor I believe a wheel gun is the most reliable.

Just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Kahr P380 is a great little gun.

</div></div>

I can't speak firsthand on the Kahr 380, but I'm smitten with the PM9 sitting in my pocket right now. A FABULOUS little pistol. If I were interested in a 380, the Kahr would be top of the list.

Lets face it: the smith bodyguard 38 and 380 are ECONOMY guns. Nit that that makes them "bad", but... There again, I like my Savage!

The Sig 380 makes no sense to me whatsoever. A single action hammer'ed 380 pocket pistol, to be carried cocked and locked? WTF? Maybe I'm weird, but a DAO like most other little guns, such as my Kahr, makes a lot more sense to me as a BUG or even EDC. I'm not afraid of carrying a 1911 C&L'd, but I'm sure as hell not putting one in my pocket, holster or not. By the way, my PM9 sits in my pocket in a holster, if for no other reason than to keep it oriented consistently.

Don't buy one for the laser, I've seen 3 crap out(one was brand new in a store). The gun seems to be GTG. Personally, I'd save the $200 and get the Sig!!