• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

S&W M&P 15-.22LR

PistonPete

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2009
Somewhere in the desert S.W.
i am taking my unfired S&W M&P 15-.22LR to the range today, i intend to shoot 50 rounds at 50 yds. then move to 100 yds. and burn another 100 rnds.

how many of you folks here have a S&W M&P 15-.22LR ? and how do you like it ? are you shooting with factory sights or mounted an optic ? what is your over all opinion of this Carbine ? i'll post mine after this days shooting session.

any other comments, ideas or changes you would make about the S&W M&P 15-.22LR ? in my <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">OPINION</span></span> the only other Carbine that will out perform the S&W M&P 15-.22LR is a TacSol upper mounted on a Colt lower

Re: S&W M&P 15-.22LR

i pick mine up on thursday of next week
smile.gif
im pumped. ive heard also that you can drop a match trigger for your ar in it. let us know how it shoots pete.

brknshk, this little beauty shoots so well, i would compare it to a match rifle, although i never shot a true match rifle, i shot one 25 rnd. mag. at 10" paper plates at 100 yds. offhand and keeping every shot on the plate, this was with the iron sights that comes on this fantastic little carbine, then i shot 2, 25 round mags. off a bench rest, the groups were about 6" and mostly in the center of the plate, if i could throw out the 3 or 4 "flyers", i could call the group 3", she functions perfectly, never got one misfire, failure to feed or eject, all 75 rounds went down the tube without any malfunctions.

yes, you can install any trigger you want in it, the lower receiver interior is milled out the same as any AR-15, the forward assist is non functional, but if there is a chance of failure to lock up a bump on the C.H. will make it lock up. ignoring the F.A., she functions pretty much the same as any AR-15, requires a proprietary mag., this is one of my main complaints, every AR-15 style/type .22LR rifle takes a different mag. the TacSol upper will use the Blackdog mags and the old Ceiner steel "stick" mags, the Colt uses a proprietary mag., but the S&W is the only one with last shot hold open, i have the Ceiner .22LR conversion kit, the TacSol upper, the Colt AR-22 and now the S&W M&P 15-.22LR. of them all i would rate the S&W #1, TacSol, #2, and maybe the Colt a 1/2 point better than the Ceiner kit, the Ceiner Kit functions and is more accurate in the old Colt SP-1s. WHY ? slower twist rate, the 1-7 and 1-9 twist is too fast for the .22LR bullet, i have found that the .22LR bullets start to tumble and "keyhole" at around 60 to 80 yds. and at 125 yds the bullets that do not tumble will give you 6 FOOT flyers from point of aim.

you will be very happy and satisfied with your new S&W M&P 15-.22LR, just make sure you have at least a total of three mags. i have 5 now, but my first range session i had only the one supplied. as you well know, it takes much longer to load them than empty them
wink.gif

i hope i have given you some helpful info, all the above is my <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">OPINION</span></span> and experience

I'm not aware of any .22 AR with a functional forward assist.

Do you really want to hammer on the head of a rimfire cartridge?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not aware of any .22 AR with a functional forward assist.

Do you really want to hammer on the head of a rimfire cartridge? </div></div>

i think you misunderstand the function of the F.A. in a rimfire cartridge, the firing pin is spring loaded to the rear, and pushing on it would pose no problem..., <span style="font-weight: bold">BUT</span> that is just my <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 20pt">OPINION</span></span></span>

A co-worker borrowed a M&P 22 and we were able to get five rounds down range before it broke. I was not impressed.

I think the conversion kits are a much better option.

Pete, my point is that any cartridge that is resistant to chambering may be subject to OOB firing by force applied to the case head, whether there's a firing pin present or not. .22LR slamfires aren't all related to firing pin impact

My opinion is that the function of a FA on a .22AR is cosmetic; there aren't any surfaces for it to engage anyway.

For the record, I'm a dedicated-upper-on-an-AR-lower kind of guy, but have been favorably impressed with the S&W.

I have to wonder what broke on Bravo's coworker's gun.

I want to say it was the operating rod. I will find out the specifics, it wasn't his gun so we didn't go ripping it apart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pete, my point is that any cartridge that is resistant to chambering may be subject to <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">(OOB, whaazat meen?)</span> firing by force applied to the case head, whether there's a firing pin present or not. .22LR slamfires aren't all related to firing pin impact

My opinion is that the function of a FA on a .22AR is cosmetic; there aren't any surfaces for it to engage anyway. <span style="color: #FF0000">(there could be if the Mfgrs. wanted to add the notches</span>)</span>

For the record, I'm a dedicated-upper-on-an-AR-lower kind of guy, <span style="color: #FF0000">(i was also until i got my S&W, but i do consider the TacSol dedicated upper to be the very best .22LR upper available)</span> but have been favorably impressed with the S&W. <span style="color: #FF0000">(you should be, i consider them to be the very best AR-15-.22LR available today)</span>

I have to wonder what broke on Bravo's coworker's gun. </div></div>

i too am interested in knowing what broke, i wonder if photos and a detailed description of the malfunction would be helpful.

<span style="font-weight: bold">hey Bravo !! what broke ? got photos ?</span>

OOB= Out Of Battery. All .22 autos are at risk, but hammering a bolt shut on a sticky cartridge is a bad business.

Although I own a Glock, I still have reservations about plastic on guns (also own more than one Cavalry Arms AR lower-hows that for inconsistency?)

TacSol-haven't played with one.

DPMS- good but can't get mags and the use of the mag as a palm rest binds the bolt.

M1S/ Ciener bolt-runs fine-Chip McCormick trigger.

Spike's Tactical ST-22 16" HB CAR/Timney-just dandy.

Compass Lake Engineering 18"SPR MK12 MOD 0 clone (M-261 bolt) reliable, drives tacks-seriously, it wants to shoot into one hole @50yd, but I can't get out of the way- best so far=several 3/8" 5shot groups @50yd.

Played with one last weekend, 4 or 5 different guys ran a total of 500 to 600 rounds thru it, no hiccups. Was using Federal HV, copper wash.

I was impressed. I have a Spikes upper and have issues sometimes, it's a little finicky. Buddy had a new Colt 22 AR model there, did pretty good but it does not come close to the M&P in realistic ergonomic feature comparison to a true AR15.

My friend bought one and has put quite a few rounds through it so far. Works great.

We both used it in a local steel match and easily put 3-400 pretty quickly. Not a hiccup.

Took it out Sunday and I had some remington bulk I tried to run in it and it didnt work out so well. No big deal as it is widely known as shitty ammo.

The walmart federal bulk runs great

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A co-worker borrowed a M&P 22 and we were able to get five rounds down range before it broke. I was not impressed.

I think the conversion kits are a much better option. </div></div>

come on man ! put up or shut up, we want proof of this "broke", i was hammered all to hell and back for proof of my .499LWRs, now it's your turn in the barrel.., show proof or go down as just another person lying about something they know nothing about.

i dont think that Andrew has anything to lie about Pete, he is a cop and an instructor out at Rifles Only. Andrews story makes sense not your dumbass story about a 499

I have one and have put a shit ton of ammo thru it less an issue.

A bud of mine bought one and it didnt make a full mag before the extractor assembly flew to pieces. He sent it back. Turn around was 2 weeks. They told him that this was a problem with a certain lot of rifles, due to improperly tempered extractors.

Hes had it back for a few weeks now and has burned up a bunch of bulk packs without a hiccup.

until i see proof of a factory letter and photographic proof of this "broke", i will just put it in my bull$hit bag, which is where i put it to start with, and classify it as a lie till proven different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont think that Andrew has anything to lie about Pete, he is a cop<span style="color: #FF0000"> (i have known many cops to lie when their ass is on the hot seat)</span> and an instructor out at Rifles Only. <span style="color: #FF0000">(Whooop-dee-doo !!)</span> Andrews story makes sense not your dumbass story about a 499 </div></div>

i at least have shown photographic proof.., and on this "broke" story i have to take an internet commandos word for, "it broke" no way man, i am not that gullible a little crazy maybe.., but not gullible !

I dont doubt for a minute that Cowboy was telling the truth. Likely a extractor problem as I stated in my post. The extractor info came straight from S&W. They know of it and have fixed/fixing the problem when it arises.

I have no pesonal experience with the concept; however, I've sold 4 S&W 15-22's since their arrival at the store where I work part-time in Louisville. I've also sold a few of the new Ruger, Remington, and Colt AR style .22 LR rifles. So far, it seems, folks have been very satisfied. For most, it appears, the appeal of these guns is training with economical .22 LR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">until i see proof of a factory letter and photographic proof of this "broke", i<span style="color: #FF0000"> will just put it in my bull$hit bag, which is where i put it to start with, and classify it as a lie </span>till proven different. </div></div>

and I'm sure you have a lot of them....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and I'm sure you have a lot of them.... </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">YES !!</span> after reading all the BS posted here and other gun forums, i have accumulated many bags of BS, my garden is one of the best in the neighborhood the pumpkins are huge this year, most in the 50 lb. range due to the copious amounts of BULL$HIT added to the soil/Earth.

My M&P15 22LR has around 500 rounds thru it now. It has worked flawlessly with Federal, WW an CCI. Not so with Remington. I ran across some Remington Golden bullet that would not properly chamber. It appeared the bullet was too large in diameter, as I could not get them to chamber even when placing a round in the chamber by hand. This could surely lead to a fire out of battery condition and damage the extractor. As previously stated in this thread, FOB is more possible with 22LR ammo. IMO, I need no more proof of RP rimfire ammo issues than all the recent recalls on their 17HMR ammo AND RIFLES. The factory says their test guns got over 30,000 rounds before the first gun ever rolled off the dock. I expect this gun to last a long time and be trouble free. Then, there is always the life time warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need no more proof of RP rimfire ammo issues than all the recent recalls on their 17HMR ammo AND RIFLES. </div></div>
But you are aware that only CCI makes 17HMR ammo aren't you? Simply repackaged for Rem. Still make sense?

I shot mine until my right arm was covered in case marks since I'm a lefty and I could have written a novel with my index finger and thumb there were so covered in lead. Not one single stoppage with fed automatch and winchester copper super-x. I put near 500 through it, winter project is a new trigger however the stocker is just too heavy for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hilbillee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put a Rock River NM triger kit in mine. Definitely made a difference. </div></div>

I put a RR NM trigger in my 15-22 also. Works great. I did have to send the rifle to S&W early in OCT for repair of a broken extractor. S&W paid for shipping both ways and fixed the problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PeteCamp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need no more proof of RP rimfire ammo issues than all the recent recalls on their 17HMR ammo AND RIFLES. </div></div>
But you are aware that only CCI makes 17HMR ammo aren't you? Simply repackaged for Rem. Still make sense? </div></div>

I know that CCI did make all the 17HMR ammo at one time. I would wonder why it is ONLY RP that is getting recalled and blowing up guns. Not just Remmy guns either. Maybe the rimfire product people over at RP give CCI the specs they want ammo loaded to?
It sure would be nice to have someone from Remington Ammunition jump in and tell us something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PeteCamp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need no more proof of RP rimfire ammo issues than all the recent recalls on their 17HMR ammo AND RIFLES. </div></div>
But you are aware that only CCI makes 17HMR ammo aren't you? Simply repackaged for Rem. Still make sense? </div></div>

I know that CCI did make all the 17HMR ammo at one time. I would wonder why it is ONLY RP that is getting recalled and blowing up guns. Not just Remmy guns either. Maybe the rimfire product people over at RP give CCI the specs they want ammo loaded to?
It sure would be nice to have someone from Remington Ammunition jump in and tell us something.
</div></div>

Even though CCI does all the loading of 17 HMR ammo, it was probably done in lots by brand, so there could have been a problem with any one of the components in the Remington lot.

Haven't looked at it lately, but the Remington ammo I had a few years ago was 17gr VMAX, but it had a gold tip instead of red. It shot exactly the same as the Hornady load that I also had.

very interesting about the trigger (FCG) replacement, i must have gotten a factory tuned FCG, because my trigger is pretty damn close to being a match FCG, the trigger squeeze is very light, about 4-5 lbs., no drag, scratchy feel, or bumps while squeezing as i feel in other factory releases, i do NOT have a Brownell's AR-15 HAMMER TRIGGER JIG WITH DRY FIRE BLOCK, i made one very similar and tune every FCG in all my AR-15s.

Picked one up Thursday. My son and I put 200 rounds down it today. Very dependable so far. Used bulk Win and Rem ammo. We kept most rounds within 2" aiming squares at 50 with factory sights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know that CCI did make all the 17HMR ammo at one time. I would wonder why it is ONLY RP that is getting recalled and blowing up guns.</div></div>
CCi still is the only manufacturer of 17HMR. Remington is recalling all ammo and guns, but the problem is strictly related to their <span style="font-weight: bold">semi-auto chambered in 17HMR</span>. This is because Rem has way more lawyers on staff than they should. It stands to reason that only Rem would recall Rem ammo. But I have quite a bit of Rem 17HMR and regularly shoot it in a Savage 93R17. Never had so much as a burp. Lots of folks have serious problems with 17HMR in semi-autos because of the sharp recoil impulse. Bolt guns, of course, don't care.

Check out the extensive threads on this topic over at RimFireCentral. Lot more of the latest info there.

I've shot Hornady, Remington and Federal brands of 17HMR over the years. Most all thru a CZ 452 and mostly with good success. I have had a few split necks from RP in the past and not the best accuracy. Hornady has always been the best for me. The last three prairie dog shoots I didn't use the 17HMR at all. It has been basically replaced by a 17AH custom CZ.
Boy, we certainly have taken this topic off the path haven't we?
Back to the M&P15 22LR. It is proving itself to be a good gun for a good price. I will have another as soon as the threaded barrel version hits the street. It will make a fun suppressor host.

I almost hate to relate this, but I was in the gun shop today and they were logging their first return of one of the S&W 22LR's to be sent back to the factory. Owner stated he had an OOB event. He was not injured, but some pieces hit the guy next to him - no injuries either. The bolt was damaged and the extractor was completely missing. He sent the spent cartridge along, but I'm not really sure what happened to cause the OOB. Guess we'll hear about it if it happens very many times.

Stay safe.

PUT a scope on mine and off the rest when you pulled or twisted on the grip or forearm the groups would go south, north, east,west ect might be ok off hand.mine went South ASAP!john

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 22eley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PUT a scope on mine and off the rest when you pulled or twisted on the grip or forearm the groups would go south, north, east,west ect might be ok off hand.mine went South ASAP!john </div></div>

Hmm you might be on to something. That's why I put so many rounds through it, trying to find out why it wouldn't group. Off the bipod its all over the place with 2" groups at 30yd, then I would flip up the bipod and shoot off sandbags then then groups would shrink down below an inch. I have a AR-15 scope riser one piece deal on it, I wonder if I bridged it over to the handguard if it would help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PeteCamp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I almost hate to relate this, but I was in the gun shop today and they were logging their first return of one of the S&W 22LR's to be sent back to the factory. Owner stated he had an OOB event. He was not injured, but some pieces hit the guy next to him - no injuries either. The bolt was damaged and the extractor was completely missing. He sent the spent cartridge along, but I'm not really sure what happened to cause the OOB. Guess we'll hear about it if it happens very many times.

Stay safe. </div></div>

Look out, Piston Pete will put it in his BS bag without pictures...

I suspect if you remove the front cap on the handguard, the gun will be much less sensitive to handguard pressure since the barrel will then be free floated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suspect if you remove the front cap on the handguard, the gun will be much less sensitive to handguard pressure since the barrel will then be free floated. </div></div>

This fixes the problem. Finally got to test it out today, now it just needs a 2.5-3# trigger.

I took the front cap from my S&W too and it helped. I also ran into a similar problem with a Ruger SR22 that I had picked up. When ever I would rest the handguard on sandbags it would start shooting high ald all over. When I would rest it on the magwell & mag it would settle down somewhat. I got to looking it over and realized there was a post inside the handguard that the barrel was resting on. The post was held in place by the swivel stud. I remover the swivel stud and took the post out, making the barrel free float on the SR22 also. I haven't got to shoot it since I did that but hopefully will get to next week to see how it does.

Do you guys think that by removing the cap you are hurting the rigidity of the forearm? Would a better option be to bore the cap out for more clearance? I'm thinking about getting one of these so I am just doing a little homework.

ETA: Anyone got pics of the mag beside a std. AR mag?

well.., here we are almost a month later, and the only problems i have had with my S&W M&P 15-22 is failure to fire the chambered round, (just crappy ammo) put on my C-More Tactical sight,
is.aspx
shot groups similar to iron sights so i removed it and went back to irons, this sight is best utilized on a 5.56mm rifle/carbine <span style="font-weight: bold">(<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">OPINION</span></span>)</span>
the best groups were obtained when i installed my Trijicon ACOG TA-31, got 2" groups at 100 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the forward assist is non functional, but if there is a chance of failure to lock up a bump on the C.H. will make it lock up. ignoring the F.A., she functions pretty much the same as any AR-15, requires a proprietary mag., this is one of my main complaints, every AR-15 style/type .22LR rifle takes a different mag. the TacSol upper will use the Blackdog mags and the old Ceiner steel "stick" mags, the Colt uses a proprietary mag., but the S&W is the only one with last shot hold open
</div></div>

The 15-22 doesn't have a fwd assist, fake or otherwise, so it's pretty easy to ignore.
crazy.gif

The mags are superior to the others mainly because of the follower button that allows you to pull the follower down as you load. Saves the fingers big time, especially when you get to the bottom of a brick, or are loading in the cold. They are also priced reasonably and seem to be pretty durable.

Here's my set up:

web.jpg

Got about 1,500rds through it so far. All kinds of ammo; eats just about everything. Only malfunctions I've had were from crummy ammo. I went through the basement digging up all the little jars and boxes of loose 22LR I could find to feed through it.

I took the handguard cap off of mine right away. Doesn't serve any purpose other than to keep debris out of the handguard. The polymer that the rifle is made out of seems to have a high fiber count and is very rigid.

None of the .22 ARs, milspec lower, Colt.22, S&W, none of them has a functional forward assist. For those using milspec setups, the bolt has nothing for the lower's forward assist to push on.