• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

S&W MP22 Cleaning questions

Re: S&W MP22 Cleaning questions

I'm sort of in the clean 'em when they quit running school of .22 shooters.

A regular AR bore guide works fairly well.

Normally on semiauto .22s, I bend an angle in a .243 brush for a chamber brush, and pull a dry bore snake afterward.

Even my better .22 barrels don't see solvent after the new barrel cleaning unless accuracy falls off. Could be thousands of rounds between solvent cleaning.

It can take most of a box before a stable barrel condition is arrived at after solvent.

I don't have an M&P22, but I usually tie a knot in one end of weedwacker line and cut the other end at an angle to pierce patches, then use that as a pull through.

Like frog5215, I clean my .22 barrels only when the performance dorps off a lot, and find that they typically run better after putting a hundred rounds or so through it after cleaning. A dry bore snake is a good way to go.

Got about 2k through mine and have not touched the bore. With rimfires that I am not looking for the utmost accuracy out of I don't normally touch the bore unless I am bored. When I do get around to it I will just run a lightly oiled snake through it.

I only clean the chamber on mine, I bend a .22 mop at 90* clean then shoot. Like others have said it will take many thousands of rounds before you need to clean the bore (Anschutz says after every 10K). I would clean everything else mechanical but would leave the bore alone.FWIW