• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

S&W10

Yukon82

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2011
Morning,
I was hoping to find a thread on the S&W10, but came up short. I was wondering if anyone had one of these or could share their thoughts on this rifle. Based on the limited reviews I have been able to find on it seems like its comparable to DPMS LR-308 in cost(pre hysteria of course). The S&W10 will require upgrades after purchase to increase its precision; things that I would have to upgrade right off the bat would include a new pistol grip, the trigger group, butt stock, and replace the hand guards. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Re: S&W10

have not fired it and only going off of limited reviews of the rifle. The stock is your basic issue collapsable stock and Im assuming the trigger wont be as smooth as I want it. Guess I'm asking if its a decent base to start with or just say screw it and get a higher end semi and not worry about making a bunch of changes up front. Thanks

If you can actually get one you have won half the battle. Things seem to be easing but there is not a lot available right now.

Smith and Wesson is an experienced manufacturer I'm sure you will get a decent rifle to work with. Most of the things you will change are probably items that people change anyway to suit personal preference. If you have a real problem S&W isnt going anywhere they will stand behind it.

As long as the lower is in spec as far as pin imensions and placement and its not cast of zinc you have the foundation for the rifle to be whatever ou want it to be.

At this point in time I'd take the bird in hand rather than hoping for two in the bush. You could get the S&W now, order your dream gun (which may have a year plus wait). If stupid legislation happens you will have your gun. If your dream gun comes in you can sell the S&W and not lose your shirt on it.

Thanks for the response. Sometimes you just have to hear that confirmation from someone else to put things in perspective. Found a vendor that has (had as of last night) hoping with his shop being closed today he actually has one left for me!

My M&P10 arrived today. Fit and finish appear very good and there is no slop between upper and lower. Trigger breaks very cleanly at around 6 pounds. There is no creep and little over-travel. The 18" barrel is a unique contour and time will tell how it does accuracy-wise. It is made by S&W, 1 in 10 twist, threaded 5/8x24 and has 5r rifling. I am liking the ambi controls for mag release and bolt. Grip and stock are plain vanilla but, as everyone's tastes are different there, it will be no problem to change them out. At least you are not paying for high end stuff that you personally don't like and will change anyway. Hope to get it to the range next soon but work is getting in the way. Will post with shooting impressions then.

Finally got to the range for a short work out today. This rifle ran flawlessly and, although I didn't take a pic, shot one group of five shots at 100 yards that came in just barely over 1". That was with Federal GMM 7.62x51 with 175 SMK. Remington 147 FMJ was not as good, as it came in right about 2". I am going to add a RRA two-stage trigger and some sort of free float fore end.

I also just picked one up. Was cleaning the Packing grease off of it tonight. Going to sneak to the range before work.

I just got one as well. Had a quick day at the range so I only sighted it in at 25. I am interested in some ideas for a quad rail or a slick rail system like I have on my DanielsDefense v7. I don't like the plastic hand guard, it is the only downfall of the gun in my opinion. Makes it feel cheep, but I enjoyed shooting it. I believe I will be good friends with my M&P10. I think for a complete package it is a good price point. I am completely happy with my purchase.

I can't wait to shoot some hand loads through my chronograph with it. I only shot some PMC factory loads.

Here is a short range review I wrote a couple of days ago on picking up my M&P 10:

My M&P 10 arrived at the dealer this afternoon. I picked it up after work and brought her home. The M&P seems well made and finished. The trigger is not bad for an AR pattern gun, very little creep with a decent pull. The only thing on the gun I would call cheap is the handguard. I plan on installing a free floating rail handguard so not an issue for me.

I had some daylight left so I decided to go shooting. I cleaned the bore, slapped on a scope and bipod and took her to my shooting spot.
IMG_2477Medium_zps045dc7ba.jpg

IMG_2478Medium_zps72e6b207.jpg

IMG_2479Medium_zps1ddb0b54.jpg

I used 6 rounds of LC66 7.62 ball to dial in the scope. I then shot some 3 shot groups using handloads of 43 grains of Varget behind Hornady 168 grain Match HPBT bullets. I shot 3 round groups because of lack of time and ammo.
Well I’m pleasantly surprised. My first group was .727”. Next group was .913”. The last group would have been great but I pulled the last shot.
IMG_2480Medium_zps9c68afa8.jpg

IMG_2483Medium_zpsdc6d01c5.jpg

I’m pleased. There were no malfunctions and this gun will obviously shoot MOA or better if I do my part. I think S&W has a winner here.

I shot it again this afternoon with Hornady 168 grain HPBT bullets in front of Varget. All groups were around an inch or better.

A few more thoughts. S&W says it can take a low profile DPMS spec rail system. They recommend Troy or Apex. S&W says the receiver extension tube, buffer, spring and bolt carrier are proprietary and not compatible with Armalite or DPMS. The extension tube is mil-spec diameter but longer than a typical carbine tube. The bolt and barrel extension are also proprietary so it won't take a DPMS or Armalite barrel. I'm happy with the S&W barrel so that's not something I'm worried about for now. Oh, the barrel is not chrome lined but is melonite treated inside and out.

I have a 12" Troy TRX-308 Battle Rail, low profile gas block and VLTOR iMod stock on the way.

Hope this helps.

I shot it again this afternoon with Hornady 168 grain HPBT bullets in front of Varget. All groups were around an inch or better.

A few more thoughts. S&W says it can take a low profile DPMS spec rail system. They recommend Troy or Apex. S&W says the receiver extension tube, buffer, spring and bolt carrier are proprietary and not compatible with Armalite or DPMS. The extension tube is mil-spec diameter but longer than a typical carbine tube. The bolt and barrel extension are also proprietary so it won't take a DPMS or Armalite barrel. I'm happy with the S&W barrel so that's not something I'm worried about for now. Oh, the barrel is not chrome lined but is melonite treated inside and out.

I have a 12" Troy TRX-308 Battle Rail, low profile gas block and VLTOR iMod stock on the way.

Thanks for the report! My M&P10 is coming soon. I was afraid I'd have to replace the barrel to shoot 1 MOA, but it's really nice to hear the rifle is already 1 MOA capable. Hopefully it'll be even better with free float rail.

What diameter gas block does it take? Will 12" rail completely cover the gas block?
I'm new to AR platform - what tools will I need to replace the gas block and the hand guard?

The M&P10 has a 9" mid length gas system so a 12" rail will cover the gas block. Gas block is .750" inside diameter. You would need some sort of vice blocks to hold the receiver and a barrel nut wrench. I would recommend going to Brownell's web site and looking at some how-to videos. There are also how-to articles at AR15.com.

The M&P10 has a 9" mid length gas system so a 12" rail will cover the gas block. Gas block is .750" inside diameter. You would need some sort of vice blocks to hold the receiver and a barrel nut wrench. I would recommend going to Brownell's web site and looking at some how-to videos. There are also how-to articles at AR15.com.
I found a vise block which connects with pins - DPMS Upper Receiver Action Block LR-308. Unfortunately looks like all the clamp style blocks are for AR15 only.

What scope mount are you using on the M&P10? Looks slim and light. Does 1" rings height allow good cheek weld with the regular stock? I received a Burris PEPR QD mount today, and it weighs 10.1 oz even with with regular ring caps! I want something lighter for a light rifle...

Ordered my MP10 today, should be here in about a week to 10 days. Looking forward to stretching her out.
Has anyone tried some heavy projectiles like 180gr-210's in their MP10?

Have not had time to shoot mine again. These rifles were built for guys who will want to mod them anyway. The cheap fore end is a throw away when the new FF rail comes in. I changed my trigger group out (even though it had a decent pull) to a RRA two-stage. Right now I am doing the early testing with a Nikon BM 4.5x14 but there is a Vortex RZR 1-6 in an Aadmaount waiting in the safe.

I found a vise block which connects with pins - DPMS Upper Receiver Action Block LR-308. Unfortunately looks like all the clamp style blocks are for AR15 only.

What scope mount are you using on the M&P10? Looks slim and light. Does 1" rings height allow good cheek weld with the regular stock? I received a Burris PEPR QD mount today, and it weighs 10.1 oz even with with regular ring caps! I want something lighter for a light rifle...

Check the Armalite web site for their AR10 receiver blocks, PN 15901202. That is what I use with good results. They only work with flat top receivers though.

My scope mount is the LaRue Tactical LT104. LaRue also has a LEO discount.