• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAC The Bullet Seating Die

Airw4ves

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2014
Canada
www.youtube.com
Just stumbled across this new die coming from Short Action Customs. Just wondering if anyone has had hands on with them. They look super well machined, and the single seater die for multiple cals would be awesome.

Reactions: Snuby642
I would like to do a long term reliability test on 6.5, 308, and 223.

Just to make sure they will hold up.

I think it's my civic duty.

I saw a cool looking seating die but no others?

The sizer is new and isn't even available yet...uses a Mitotyo top, one sizer for lots of calibers

They've had 6GT die sets listed on their site for a year at least. The seater linked in this thread was part of the set I think. As far as I know they did a single run using someone else's die blanks. I was going to order a set but they never became available again. Maybe that has finally changed?

The sizer is new and isn't even available yet...uses a Mitotyo top, one sizer for lots of calibers
You mean seater. The sizing die is new as well but is caliber specific. The one size fits all seater I believe is an evolution of his original micrometer seating die

Although a cool idea I like to set my dies and not change them unless necessary. I would not like setting up the seating die every time I load for a different caliber

Although a cool idea I like to set my dies and not change them unless necessary. I would not like setting up the seating die every time I load for a different caliber
Agree. If I were to use these new dies I would probably just buy one die for each caliber.

Reactions: slick19
Just talked to Mark Gordon at SAC. He is sending me one to do a full review on for you guys. I requested 223rem and 308win just to keep it simple for the calibers to switch between for the testing. Stay tuned
Thanks padom, this is a great idea. Great for helping out Mark too with the visibility

Hey guys, just checking in. I need to carve out more time to hop on Snipers Hide to help answer questions. I will give you guys the rundown on what we have going on regarding dies.

We first started using Newlon die blanks in 12L14. They are a pretty good product, but we were running into supply issues and it always bugged me that the bullet seating stems would mark some bullets up. In addition, I hated the fact that people need to buy so many different bullet seating dies for cartridges that were extremely similar.

So we started designing "The" Seating Die with the goal of being able to offer one die that could seat bullets in a very straight, concentric fashion on a variety of cartridges. Furthermore, we wanted to solve the seating stem problem that most dies have.

So we developed our seating with these features in mind. The heart of the system is the die body which we make from 12L14 then Black Nitride it. We chose this material because the "breakthrough" with our die body is making a hole through the center of the die body which about as perfectly straight as possible, but also has the inside diameter held to a +/- .0002 diameter tolerance (each one we measure is actually exactly the same size) and has as close to a mirror like finish on the inside. We use a special inside diameter burnishing tool which controls the surface finish and diameter. This is why we chose 12L14 is because it is ductile enough to allow this process to work. We made some prototypes in 17-4 Stainless, but the I.D. Burnishing process didn't work as well. Lastly, the diameter is a little over .4730" which offers a .001"-.002" clearance for the base of most short action cartridges to center up. Again, that is only .0005"-.001" per side of clearance. I grabbed my (Brand X) sliding chamber sleeve from the bullet seating die and measured the body diameter and it was .005" larger than the cartridge body.....so are most bullet seating dies ACTUALLY supporting the case??

Next, we designed the "Cartridge Shoulder Centering Sleeve" to only have a .001" fit inside the die body, which keeps the two very straight and concentric. The Cartridge Shoulder Centering Sleeve has a radius on the bottom which interfaces with any shoulder angle of the cartridge and centers up the shoulder with the die body. Now we have the cartridge base and shoulder held considerably straight.

Then we made an oversized bullet seating stem with a .3145" outside diameter. We did this so prevent the bullet contact geometry from swelling and bulging over time like my (Brand Y) bullet seating stem does.Next we made the stem with a through hole to 1). Prevent suction on the bullet 2). prevent any bullet tips from contacting the stem 3). Ease the manufacturing process, chip clearance when precision boring.
We also tried a bunch of angles for the bullet seating stem and created an angle that fits the bullet a little lower on the bullet nose which prevents bullet damage and creates more contact with the bullet which increases the bullet concentricity. Lastly, it also pushes the bullet down closer to the center of gravity instead of at the top of the bullet which increases runout.

2020 Sized Production Bullet Seating Die, Final.jpg

Each seating die will ship with a 10mm polished ball which serves as a spacer which increases the travel of the Mitutoyo Micrometer head. The 10mm ball is not needed for some 6GT, 6x47L, 243 Win, and 6mm Creedmoor cartridges, but is likely needed for the 6 BR, 6BRA, 6Dasher and other shorter 6mm cartridges.
6BRA, Short Action Bullet Seating Die, Production, V2, Cropped 2020.jpg

6 CM, Short Action Bullet Seating Die, Production, V2, Cropped, 2020.jpg

Right now, "The" Seating Die ships as a 6mm seating die configuration. We have found that the bullet seating stem we use actually works really well with other bullets such as some 22 cal bullets as well as 25 cal and 6.5mm bullets. We plan on making some caliber dedicated seating stems very shortly.

Lastly, the current configuration that is shipping cannot handle the 308 Winchester cartridges just yet. This is because the "Cartridge Shoulder Sleeve) has a 8mm (.315") inside diameter and a neck will not make it in. We intend on making multiple configurations shortly.

Let us know if you have any questions. We will get our other Precision Resizing Dies on the website today!!!

Mark.

Hey guys, just checking in. I need to carve out more time to hop on Snipers Hide to help answer questions. I will give you guys the rundown on what we have going on regarding dies.

We first started using Newlon die blanks in 12L14. They are a pretty good product, but we were running into supply issues and it always bugged me that the bullet seating stems would mark some bullets up. In addition, I hated the fact that people need to buy so many different bullet seating dies for cartridges that were extremely similar.

So we started designing "The" Seating Die with the goal of being able to offer one die that could seat bullets in a very straight, concentric fashion on a variety of cartridges. Furthermore, we wanted to solve the seating stem problem that most dies have.

So we developed our seating with these features in mind. The heart of the system is the die body which we make from 12L14 then Black Nitride it. We chose this material because the "breakthrough" with our die body is making a hole through the center of the die body which about as perfectly straight as possible, but also has the inside diameter held to a +/- .0002 diameter tolerance (each one we measure is actually exactly the same size) and has as close to a mirror like finish on the inside. We use a special inside diameter burnishing tool which controls the surface finish and diameter. This is why we chose 12L14 is because it is ductile enough to allow this process to work. We made some prototypes in 17-4 Stainless, but the I.D. Burnishing process didn't work as well. Lastly, the diameter is a little over .4730" which offers a .001"-.002" clearance for the base of most short action cartridges to center up. Again, that is only .0005"-.001" per side of clearance. I grabbed my (Brand X) sliding chamber sleeve from the bullet seating die and measured the body diameter and it was .005" larger than the cartridge body.....so are most bullet seating dies ACTUALLY supporting the case??

Next, we designed the "Cartridge Shoulder Centering Sleeve" to only have a .001" fit inside the die body, which keeps the two very straight and concentric. The Cartridge Shoulder Centering Sleeve has a radius on the bottom which interfaces with any shoulder angle of the cartridge and centers up the shoulder with the die body. Now we have the cartridge base and shoulder held considerably straight.

Then we made an oversized bullet seating stem with a .3145" outside diameter. We did this so prevent the bullet contact geometry from swelling and bulging over time like my (Brand Y) bullet seating stem does.Next we made the stem with a through hole to 1). Prevent suction on the bullet 2). prevent any bullet tips from contacting the stem 3). Ease the manufacturing process, chip clearance when precision boring.
We also tried a bunch of angles for the bullet seating stem and created an angle that fits the bullet a little lower on the bullet nose which prevents bullet damage and creates more contact with the bullet which increases the bullet concentricity. Lastly, it also pushes the bullet down closer to the center of gravity instead of at the top of the bullet which increases runout.

View attachment 7413348

Each seating die will ship with a 10mm polished ball which serves as a spacer which increases the travel of the Mitutoyo Micrometer head. The 10mm ball is not needed for some 6GT, 6x47L, 243 Win, and 6mm Creedmoor cartridges, but is likely needed for the 6 BR, 6BRA, 6Dasher and other shorter 6mm cartridges.
View attachment 7413350
View attachment 7413351

Right now, "The" Seating Die ships as a 6mm seating die configuration. We have found that the bullet seating stem we use actually works really well with other bullets such as some 22 cal bullets as well as 25 cal and 6.5mm bullets. We plan on making some caliber dedicated seating stems very shortly.

Lastly, the current configuration that is shipping cannot handle the 308 Winchester cartridges just yet. This is because the "Cartridge Shoulder Sleeve) has a 8mm (.315") inside diameter and a neck will not make it in. We intend on making multiple configurations shortly.

Let us know if you have any questions. We will get our other Precision Resizing Dies on the website today!!!

Mark.
I ordered your die last week and received within days. I'm more than happy of the results. I seated 60 round for the 6mm ARC this past weekend, three different seating depths for testing. Wow, it was so easy and and spot on. I'll be shooting them this coming weekend.
Thank you for a great product. I will be using this seating die for three different calibers (6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmoor).

Hello Mark: Any testing on using the 6mm seater on 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5mm Creedmoor, results? Thank you. Have your bullets insert comparators and what I love about them is that they are ALL consistent when measured!!! Will be putting in for the seater also! Thank you.

View attachment 7413348

View attachment 7413350
View attachment 7413351

Mark.

Thank you for the clarification. Do you plan on bringing back full die sets? I wanted to buy the 6GT die set but it never came back in stock.

I ordered your die last week and received within days. I'm more than happy of the results. I seated 60 round for the 6mm ARC this past weekend, three different seating depths for testing. Wow, it was so easy and and spot on. I'll be shooting them this coming weekend.
Thank you for a great product. I will be using this seating die for three different calibers (6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creedmoor).
Two different diameter cartridges there.

@Mgordon these seating does sound great for my next 6BRA, any plans for a non bushing full length sizing die ?

Thank you for your business and for sharing your experience. Like everybody else, I HATE having to purchase a bullet seating die for each cartridge that I shoot. Furthermore, we have the best bullet seating stem (In My Opinion).

Mark

Hello Mark: Any testing on using the 6mm seater on 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5mm Creedmoor, results? Thank you. Have your bullets insert comparators and what I love about them is that they are ALL consistent when measured!!! Will be putting in for the seater also! Thank you.

I have been seating 22 cal and 6.5mm bullets with out any issues. The only difference in the 6.5mm Bullet Seating Stem that I have designed is a larger through hole in the center. The 6mm stem has a 4mm (.1574") through hole, I have the 6.5mm and up designed with a .201" through hole which only makes it easier to manufacture on our end. So I don't really have any changes at this time. that would make it really any different.

@Mgordon these seating does sound great for my next 6BRA, any plans for a non bushing full length sizing die ?

Not at this time. With our new neck bushings that we are making (found HERE) we have reduced neck runout considerably. During all the testing that we have performed, most neck runout issues were coming from the neck bushings. Some neck bushings seemed fine, but some of the exact same size and brand would cause .003" or higher of neck runout for no apparent reason. So we started prototyping a new neck bushing and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

So since there are so many variables in brass neck thickness, manufacturers and desired neck tension, we are focusing on our full length resizing, neck bushing dies.

Mark.

Thank you for the clarification. Do you plan on bringing back full die sets? I wanted to buy the 6GT die set but it never came back in stock.

Great question. The goal of our new reloading dies is to eliminate the need for cartridge specific bullet seating dies. So all you would need to do is choose the correct Precision Resizing Die (found HERE), then you would just order "The" Seating Die. This would cover your 6GT needs perfectly.

Furthermore, if you wanted to start shooting a 6mm Creedmoor, instead of buying another bullet seating die, you would just simply order the 6mm Creedmoor Precision Resizing Die.

Mark.

Great question. The goal of our new reloading dies is to eliminate the need for cartridge specific bullet seating dies. So all you would need to do is choose the correct Precision Resizing Die (found HERE), then you would just order "The" Seating Die. This would cover your 6GT needs perfectly.

Furthermore, if you wanted to start shooting a 6mm Creedmoor, instead of buying another bullet seating die, you would just simply order the 6mm Creedmoor Precision Resizing Die.

Mark.

Resetting my dies for different cartridges is not something I'm interested in. I don't have tons of time and I want to just sit down and get the loading done. I already shoot 6CM and I think I have three die sets for that cartridge alone.

Resetting my dies for different cartridges is not something I'm interested in. I don't have tons of time and I want to just sit down and get the loading done. I already shoot 6CM and I think I have three die sets for that cartridge alone.

As mentioned previously, some people buy "The" Seating Die for each cartridge that they intend on shooting, so there are plenty of options.

Could you not just make a dummy round with the bullet seated where you want it for said round. When its time to seat for that round, just unscrew the micrometer, drop the ram, and screw down until you feel it touch, back it off 1 or 2 points, seat a bullet, and adjust the difference needed?
That would take all of 3min to do.

I get its not for everyone, but if time is that tight then this is likely not the product for you.
I for one appreciate the idea of not spending $$$ on quality seating dies for all my different cartridges. Buying one very well made die that accomplishes the job would be worth the minor time investment imo.

Reactions: Mgordon and skyrep
Could you not just make a dummy round with the bullet seated where you want it for said round. When its time to seat for that round, just unscrew the micrometer, drop the ram, and screw down until you feel it touch, back it off 1 or 2 points, seat a bullet, and adjust the difference needed?
That would take all of 3min to do.

I get its not for everyone, but if time is that tight then this is likely not the product for you.
I for one appreciate the idea of not spending $$$ on quality seating dies for all my different cartridges. Buying one very well made die that accomplishes the job would be worth the minor time investment imo.

Welcome to 20+ years ago. I still have a pile of dummy cartridges with discontinued bullets sticking out. I'm not going back to that method, especially since I no longer use a press that requires resetting dies for every change over.

Welcome to 20+ years ago. I still have a pile of dummy cartridges with discontinued bullets sticking out. I'm not going back to that method, especially since I no longer use a press that requires resetting dies for every change over.

So then dont buy it, and stick to what you've got, or buy one of their seating dies for each cartridge you shoot. Nobody is stopping you from buying “The” seating die and just using it solely on your GT.
This thread was to get info on "The" Seating Die, not cartridge specific seaters.

Either way, thanks for coming on MGordon and look forward to Padoms review of the die.

Last edited:
@Hillpuller I had no idea that the seating die was for families. Makes sense to invest into a extremely high quality die when it will work for more than one cartridge
@Mgordon what plans do you have for magnum cases like the 65 PRC and 7 SAUM???

Last edited:
@Hillpuller I had no idea that the seating die was for families. Makes sense to invest into a extremely high quality die when it will work for more than one cartridge
@Mgordon what plans do you have for magnum cases like the 65 PRC and 7 SAUM???

I'm looking into making a die for those cartridges, but it is not going to be as "easy". I made this spreadsheet in excel to see what we would be looking at.

Screen Shot 09-11-20 at 02.39 PM.PNG

We just updated the geometry of our "Cartridge Centering Sleeve" to allow us to make a bullet seating stem which has geometry for 6.5mm to 30 cal bullets. We now have options for 22 cal to 6.5mm bullets, and 6.5mm bullets to 30 cal bullets. They are respectively the Model 1 and Model 2. On the website, there are two variants listed (Model 1 and Model 2) which are only for the bullet seating stems. The Die body, and all parts are the same, with the exception of the bullet seating stem.

We did some testing with 6mm and 6.5mm cartridges with .004" to .005" of neck tension to see how they would do with the new seating stems. All performed perfectly, even the 6mm bullets with the Model 2 stem which is designed for the 6.5mm to 30 cal bullets.

9C378A95-B9D9-4A25-8DDB-A6819B774F90.JPG

We just updated the geometry of our "Cartridge Centering Sleeve" to allow us to make a bullet seating stem which has geometry for 6.5mm to 30 cal bullets. We now have options for 22 cal to 6.5mm bullets, and 6.5mm bullets to 30 cal bullets. They are respectively the Model 1 and Model 2. On the website, there are two variants listed (Model 1 and Model 2) which are only for the bullet seating stems. The Die body, and all parts are the same, with the exception of the bullet seating stem.

We did some testing with 6mm and 6.5mm cartridges with .004" to .005" of neck tension to see how they would do with the new seating stems. All performed perfectly, even the 6mm bullets with the Model 2 stem which is designed for the 6.5mm to 30 cal bullets.

View attachment 7421431
Mark, is it possible to just buy the # 1 Stem. I have your seating die at which time, it did not give me an option of Stem. I'm assuming i have the die with the #2 stem. I'm presently loading for the 6mm ARC and i'm more than happy with the die. My groupings have tighten up and my SD's have come down. It's a great product and I wish i found this sooner. thanks
ATTACHED is today's one of my loads:

Attachments

• load develop 105 Hybrid with H4895.jpg
    load develop 105 Hybrid with H4895.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Load develop with 105 Hybrid - H4895 MOA.jpg
    Load develop with 105 Hybrid - H4895 MOA.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 109
Mark, is it possible to just buy the # 1 Stem. I have your seating die at which time, it did not give me an option of Stem. I'm assuming i have the die with the #2 stem. I'm presently loading for the 6mm ARC and i'm more than happy with the die. My groupings have tighten up and my SD's have come down. It's a great product and I wish i found this sooner. thanks
ATTACHED is today's one of my loads:

Thank you for sharing your results! Every seating die we have shipped has come with the Model #1 stem, the Model #2 is something we came out with this last week, we have them on the website FOUND HERE if one chooses to order a Model #2 or a back up #1.

Mark.

Since I'm the the slow kid in class I'm assuming the 22 Cal bullets would be for cartridges like 22 BR and 22 Creedmoor so the case is properly supported and fits this seating die??

So, I recently got one of these. Normally, with other micrometer seaters, I seat shallow and then run micrometer dial based on the difference to seat everything as close to exact as possible.

With this, which I’ve only used with 6BRA so far, but to provide an example I seated 50 bergers with no more than +/- .0005 variation in seating depth without even touching the dial. Measured each, which I probably won’t bother doing again. Also tried some match burners and same results.

I’m going to pull the ball and try it with my 25 Creedmoor with the exact same components as I’ve been using with a 6.5 Creed Forster seater as a direct comparison. If I get the same results as with 6BRA I’m buying another so I have one w/ ball in it and one w/out and selling my other seaters that are covered by the SAC ones.

Just talked to Mark Gordon at SAC. He is sending me one to do a full review on for you guys. I requested 223rem and 308win just to keep it simple for the calibers to switch between for the testing. Stay tuned

I just emailed Mark @Mgordon today to check the status of this test sample for review. I've had some guys asking me where the review is at. Hopefully we can get it going soon

I got mine up and running yesterday, for some 6BR seating.

I like the seating stem, it seems to fit all bullets I tried with a minimum of slop. I also like how the micrometer can be spun around so that the numbers face you. Pretty convenient.

So far, it's on par with any of the other sleeved micrometer seaters (whidden, forster, etc) and an upgrade from any of the models without the micrometer and sleeve. I think the optimal use case are guys with a single stage. This could definitely save you the cost of the micrometer seaters if you load for several calibers - at least three of the same 'family.'

Gentlemen, thank you for the updates. What I am most interested in is how repeatable the micrometer seat differents bullets calibers? ie If it calls for say 8.5 number in a 6.5mm Creedmoor after I used it for a .308WIN, will dialing the same 8.5 number gets me the same in the 6.5mm Creedmoor previous? Thank you

got the #1 4 weeks ago - loaded 400 rounds , 6gt, 6cm, 6 dasher - run out was the best of any of my dies including the arbours. the #2 is on the way but usps seems to have misplaced it.

got the #1 4 weeks ago - loaded 400 rounds , 6gt, 6cm, 6 dasher - run out was the best of any of my dies including the arbours. the #2 is on the way but usps seems to have misplaced it.

USPS has 'misplaced' no less than three of my packages in the past week. I feel your pain.

I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of the #1 and #2 on 6,5 bullets, if you're going to load that way.

Thanks to Mark @Mgordon I have a package on the way for full testing and review on the sizing die in 6BR and The Seating Die with both stems!

Really looking forward to this testing! Stay tuned

Thanks to Mark @Mgordon I have a package on the way for full testing and review on the sizing die in 6BR and The Seating Die with both stems!

Really looking forward to this testing! Stay tuned
What ever became of this? Looking to sell my Redding dies and go to this for seating 6CM, 6.5cm, and 308

What ever became of this? Looking to sell my Redding dies and go to this for seating 6CM, 6.5cm, and 308
I've had my Seating Die since Sept 2020. No regrets. I use the seating die for Grendel, Creedmoor, .308, 6mm ARC and i even tried a few .223 rounds. I've been selling all my other seating dies.

Reactions: Krob95

I've been waiting for my 6mm barrel since Sept 1 from Bartlein.. they are slammed but I talked to Frank today he said end of next week....fingers crossed.

I have used the seater with 308 and it is awesome. Seating depth consistency was better than any seating die I've used. I'm very happy with it