• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sad day on the reloading bench

Rookie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2004
D/FW
20221015_101252.jpg

Loaded the last 300 pieces of a 5-gallon bucket of 40cal brass I bought from the PD before I retired 10 years ago. Maybe 20k pieces? Sad part is the dept, like every other switched to 9mm. So no more cheap 40cal brass.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
IF Glock 40 cal, make that frame and slide can chuck 9mm too with barrel, mag, extractor, and ejector swap : )

I believe a 5 gallon bucket full of 40 brass is 6kish? Does that match your powder usage?

Reactions: secondofangle2
40 cal is still all over the ground every time I go to our local range. We still have a few LEO as well as newbie shooters shooting it. ( Mainly because used 40SW pistols have become cheap as dirt since the majority of departments moved on to 9mm/45acp)

Last edited:
I have a buddy who’s getting into commercially selling processed brass. He was crying about how nobody wants .40 brass. I’m not understanding why everyone ran back to 9mm. But then again, 10mm makes sense to me.

I don’t understand, I came into a 5 gallon bucket of 38 special for $10 and am on the third or fourth reloading of them. 🤷🏼

That and 40 is the most common brass found after the CCW classes on my local range.

So you reloaded 40k of .40 over this period of time....
Did you shoot it all and not pickup any of the brass?

he must have shot 160K USPSA matches limited major and left it on the ground.;)

40 doesn’t do anything that modern 9mm can’t do, ballistically. More ammo capacity, less recoil, easier follow up shots

I dislike 40, a lot, it’s snappy like a 45 without the performance of 45. Might as well have a 45, or better yet, 10mm.
Well, it does though. It shoots a heavier bullet faster. Generally that is a defining characteristic for "more powerful."

40 has ammo capacity over the 45 while driving a 180g bullet the same speed or faster using less powder. I.E. Less recoil and faster follow up shots.

If the the 40 kicks too much for you. You're not going to like the 10mm.

Reactions: Speed and Anb618
Well, it does though. It shoots a heavier bullet faster. Generally that is a defining characteristic for "more powerful."

40 has ammo capacity over the 45 while driving a 180g bullet the same speed or faster using less powder. I.E. Less recoil and faster follow up shots.

If the the 40 kicks too much for you. You're not going to like the 10mm.
It doesn’t kick “too much” and training with anything will make someone good to go, but I guess the idea with 9mm is it is easier for more people to get better rounds on target, quicker, than a larger caliber.

That’s what my thought process is on why it’s mainly used.
I like the energy that comes with a 10, but I do personally prefer to carry a 9 with 13-14 rounds (shield plus)