• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sad news from Remington

So ATK dumps Savage shortly ago and now is taking on Remington Ammo.
I thought ATK spun Vista off some years ago....I'm def no industry expert (or even industry semi-literate) but I thought this happened a good while ago?

Sportsmans Warehouse buying TAPCO is every bit of a self fulfilling prophecy that it could be.

Raise your hand if your first memory of TAPCO was $99 FAL kits, and $10 new-in-wrapper 20rd metric mags.

🙋‍♂️

Good times.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender
I'd love that, but I've already moved on to Henry for my last three levers and would be hard for me to look back again. Anyone making quality lever guns in the USA gets my vote though.

and made in Rice Lake, Wi....just north of me. i have strong ties to rice lake. i’ve thought of buying a henry just because of that; but i just havent been able to warm up to them for some reason. something about them just does not appeal to me; and i really wish that wasnt the case.

Reactions: RMB
and made in Rice Lake, Wi....just north of me. i have strong ties to rice lake. i’ve thought of buying a henry just because of that; but i just havent been able to warm up to them for some reason. something about them just does not appeal to me; and i really wish that wasnt the case.
Take a dip in the water with one of their Small Game rifles, I recommend the carbine length. Octagon barrel, factory rear peep, big loop lever. They're a ton of fun, and you'll see just how smooth and well made the Henrys are.

What I really want is one of their 1860s though, just have higher priorities than a two grand and change 44-40 for plinking and wall hanging.

Sucks for the workers, I've been on the wrong end of big name business closing shop (well, just downsizing in my case). Shame the quality went downhill for the last decade or so, I had a 700 built around '02 or '03 that shot just under moa at 100 with factory ammo, sporter barrel, and plastic stock! That's normal now, but less common for an off the shelf gun then.

Looks like they know what is happening to everything except the rifles themselves.

Sucks for the workers, I've been on the wrong end of big name business closing shop (well, just downsizing in my case). Shame the quality went downhill for the last decade or so, I had a 700 built around '02 or '03 that shot just under moa at 100 with factory ammo, sporter barrel, and plastic stock! That's normal now, but less common for an off the shelf gun then.
Definitely a shame. I have an old 870, a 700vs in 22-250 that was made in 2000 shoots like a dream. I should have bought a bunch more in different calibers. Out the door price then a bit over 600 dollars. I also have 788 in .308 those guns are tack drivers. Hope they can make a comeback.

Wow, Sig Sauer was close to getting the Lonoke plant. Wonder how far they fell short.

Sportsmans...disappointing as I love that place except they seem to have screwed the pooch a long time ago with their massive expansion plans. Hopefully this purchase won't push them over the edge again.

Both of my Remingtons (an 870 and a M700VS) are great guns. Easily do everything I expect out of them. Every time I considered upgrading the 870 to a new gun, I keep coming back to what will the new gun offer the 870 doesn't already give me? And my 700 is sub MOA with factory ammo. Even when I pull a shot, it is still under 1" at 100m, and anything outside that was really me being a klutz. I know a lot has changed in the last 20 years for precision shooting, and my rig is a little hefty compared to what is available today. But I am happy and not messing with what works.

Marlin will be great for Ruger. Both brands are popular with Cowboy shooters.

So Cerebus and the republican leadership are part of the swamp. Reading the article above this was worse than vulture capitalism. This sort of thing should carry prison sentences for the corporate leaders sucking out the money and destroying a business for their profit.

Take a dip in the water with one of their Small Game rifles, I recommend the carbine length. Octagon barrel, factory rear peep, big loop lever. They're a ton of fun, and you'll see just how smooth and well made the Henrys are.

What I really want is one of their 1860s though, just have higher priorities than a two grand and change 44-40 for plinking and wall hanging.
I bought one in 44-40 2 years ago and it still has the tags on in. Never fired. Come to Texas and we will go break it in.

Remington failed because they didn’t keep up with the 2020 resurgence of black powder lever gun demand.

I worked at the corporate office in Madison, NC from 2000 to 2011. Cerberus bought them from Clayton, Dublier and Rice in 2008.

Promptly, 25-30 "C" level guys parachuted into the home office of about 100 from Cerberus Capital and either RIF'd a large portion of the company or "Streamlined" manufacturing to drive out cost. (i.e. Plastic parts and reduction in quality control) Management had prejudicial disdain for the consumer. They would often refer to the customers as "Bubbas". Not sure that any business can survive once they begin to think derogatorily of their customer base.

Having sat directly in meetings with Bob Nardelli, and seeing where things were headed, I left the company 3 years after Cerberus took over on good terms (no sour grapes). Lots of friends that stuck it out have lost their jobs periodically over the years with additional cost out initiatives. Terrible to watch it happen to the company and them.

When starting with the company in 2000, it was common to see everyone from customer service to the CEO coming in late during various hunting seasons with camo on after having been in the field. I would say 85% or more of the home office employees were actual users of the product in some way. By time I left, it was probably less than 50%. Quite a precipitous fall from when I started to the time I left.

To be honest though, they were having problems from the time Dupont sold them in 1986. I can't think of a single new firearm introduction in the 11 years I was there that didn't have to be recalled or have a service bulletin posted. 11-87, 710, 105, 597, 673, 700 Trigger debacle, versamax, etc...

I loved working in the industry. The end result though is truly a self fulfilling prophecy long in the making.

Reactions: UpSideDown

Sucks that people lost there jobs but honestly... Good.

Remington has been a train wreck for a quite some time. While I love my 300WM that was built off a 700 action, Not much of that rifle is Remington. Its just not the QC issues but constantly missing what the market is asking for. The market has asked for a target rifle for years, and Companies such as Tikka and Bagerra come in eat Remingtons lunch. That same market wanted a more efficient round and hornady came in and killed the 260. When ACR's and Scars were all the rage in video games, Remington essentially killed all ACR development.

If any company could mess up a free lunch its Remington. For some reason they had this odd fascination with building cheap guns for the cheapest group of shooters in the country.

I hope Remington under new management can get their shit together, For bolt guns they should concentrate on producing quality barreled actions that can are suitable for Hunting, and Target shooting. Continue with the 870 and just establish a market

Anytime who's read any work on "disruptive innovation" (not my favorite term) should recognize Remington's problem. Companies like Savage ate Remington's lunch in the low end bolt gun market, and then used that success as a springboard to move upmarket and grab even more market share. Tikka, Bergara and now SIG have grabbed market share from Remington in the upper end. Remington's attempt to broaden its market base into the plastic pistol segment fell flat, and they had a bit of reverse-Midas touch on every company they acquired. They did seemingly manage to avoid fucking up their position in the shotgun market, so they are not completely incompetent.

This a tough spot in which to be, even with competent management and money to burn. Remington had neither of those. Maybe now they can find their placed in the market.