• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Safariland 6305

Hogshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2003
Powhatan, Va
I just picked up a Safariland 6305 holster for my Glock 21. This holster is basically a 6004 but with the additional security of the ALS system (auto locking) I can remove the ALS easily but my question is concerning the hood guard. This will not be used in a tactical environment but will be used in varios outdoor activitities. Should I remove the hood guard or does it really provide needed protection for the rotating hood. I am afraid if I leave it in place that it will snag on brush and limbs as I intend to be using the holster in the woods while on an ATV. Anyone have experience with this system......thanks

Re: Safariland 6305

The hood is only intended to block prying (criminal) hands. It would also serve to block brush which could open the hood, and with your stated intention it seems it would do more good than bad, especially if you ever separate from your ATV while in motion.
eek.gif
I would say leave it. It definitely does not slow the draw process.

Re: Safariland 6305

Hello Hogshooter, I would <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">not</span></span> recommend removing the ALS from the holster. It's a critical feature of the product and made to be used with it. If removed, the holster will not simply become a 6004/6005 since they are actually formed differently.

As for the hood guard, this is not a critical item and some police agencies do end up removing it. It helps protect against attempted take aways but in your case, this shouldn't be a problem. Hope this helps.

Regards,
James