• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Safe to use crush washer?

FrankInDerby

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2017
Derby, KS
Hi all, was hoping I could get some advice. I use crush washers for my AR pattern rifles' muzzle devices, and was wondering if it was unwise to mount a brake w/crush washer on a precision style rifle.. specifically a Savage 10 FCP in 6.5CM. I'm trying to avoid finding a decent gunsmith and prefer to do the work myself. I just wasn't sure if a crush washer might damage the crown, or give me any other possible issues. I am looking at the VG6 Gamma 65, the price is right and I've got another of their offerings on one of my AR's and really like it.

Any insight or experiences would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Outside of being ugly nothing wrong with crush washers. Another option would be to use a self timing brake.

Peel washers NOT crush washers. Crush washers are really for flash hiders, not brakes. Peel washers will allow you to time your brake while maintaining concentricity much better than a crush washer. There's a reason that suppressor mount brakes ALL demand peel washers and not crush washers. Maybe you can get away with a crush washer but maybe not. Why not just use a peel washer and be sure? Besides, peel washers will let you time your brake much more precisely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll go with the majority here, Peel washer, not a crush washer.
The installation will be much cleaner and the timing much more precise. Once you know the thread pitch, you can select the proper thickness washer quite easily and get it down to one or two trials to perfectly time the brake.
As to damage to the crown, the washer never comes near it.

Thanks for the info guys, I just found a used brake over at ARFCOM and bought it. It has a timing nut, so hopefully this will be what I'm looking for. Anyone have any experience with this brake or this type?