• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako Finnfire Range

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2010
    Lewiston, ME
    Here is my Finnfire, just picked it up. I put a few picks in the "rimfire pic" thread but thought I would show a few more and tell a bit more about the rifle here. It is a Finnfire Range as the title says, the original owner had it bedded and it is a very good bedding job. The stock feels very similar to my TRG (which is why I bought it) the length of pull is just a bit short. The but is adjustable for length of pull, cant and height by offset spacers. The cheek is adjustable for height only. It has an Anschutz rail on the under side of the fore arm and a short one on the left side of the stock. It has an after market aluminium trigger guard and a 5 round and 10 round mag. The rifle seems to feed ok with 7 or less rounds in the 10 round and the 5 round it good to go. It has an after market "tactical" style bolt knob and I think it helps with bolt operation. I have a 5 moa pic rail ( the 20 moa are no longer made from what I was told). It has the factory barrel but I am thinkiing of ordering a Lilja for it.

Well it shoots CCI Mini Mags pretty good @ 50 yds but they open up at 100 yds. I am looking for a cheep ammo to shoot at distance, so far Federal Gold Medal Match is working. The group is 5 rounds with the Federal @ 100 yds (0.520" CTC), but I only had 25 rounds of it today. I plan on tring several other brands and updating this post with the results. If anyone has any suggestions on cheep ammo Im all ears.

Here are a few pics from today, enjoy:
    11-24049.jpg

11-24048.jpg

11-24047.jpg

11-24045.jpg

11-24043.jpg
    11-24053.jpg

Re: Sako Finnfire Range

That is a sweet rifle.

Good job on the find my good man, been looking for one like that for a while. Looks like she is a shooter for you as well!

Damn, wish I was there on Saturday! Bring it on Sunday for sure.

So you decided to buy a Bender for your trainer? Good all having it match your TRG scope...

You can also use an AIAW dovetail mount directly to this dovetail as well. I have one on mine.

The TRG 22 trigger will also fit this rifle, but the bottom metal has to be modified.

I also got billet bottome metal for mine and saved my plastic one
    http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=112023&CAT=3601

That is a keeper for sure, very hard to find these.

Wolf/SK std. will be your best bet - price vs. quality
    Lots make a big difference.
    Mag feed can be iffy with the Finn in 22lr.
    5 rounders work better than 10's.
    If you ever want to take the Mach 2 plunge drop me a line.
    I have a Lilja just sitting around waiting for a project.

That's a fine rifle with a $3K optic on it and you're looking for cheap ammo? IMO a bit pennywise and pound foolish.

You shoot good ammo and it will amaze you with it's accuracy. Midas or Center-X. The cheapest I would go is Wolf MT/ME or SK+/Rifle match (same stuff).

The Bender was borrowed from my TRG until I pick up a MIL/MIL FFP for the Finnfire, looking to spend around $1k (or less). Im planning to dump a lot of rounds down range with this and that is why I want to run inexpensive ammo.

Ill keep the MK2 barrel in mind but think Ill stick w/ the 22 for now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">plus the factory barrel will feed better. </div></div>

You ought to know!!!!!

Indeed I do!The Lilja does not have a feed ramp. Good for Br shooting, no good for a repeater.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">plus the factory barrel will feed better. </div></div>

You ought to know!!!!! </div></div>

shooter65, do you think Dan could machine a feed ramp on the barrel, or am I missing something? It seems you have had one how did it shoot? I know how Dan's barrels do on Anschutz 54 actions, and they are very good.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

Sure, a feed ramp could be added to a Lilja barrel easy enough.
    But you stated you wanted to shoot cheap ammo so there is no reason for you to purchase a Lilja barrel.

Eley of Lapua ammo is where it's at. Cheap ammo will net you poor accuracy.

True, very true. I have on occasion been able to find an inexpensive ammo that will provide pretty good results, it just takes some looking to find. I would like to be able to hold MOA thats all. If I did get a Lilja barrel for it I would shoot Lapua or Eley for the most part. Its just nice to go and burn several hundred rounds and not cost more than $20 or so. thats the point of me getting this, and to shoot at shorter ranges when the snow is ass deep so not to have to truck targets out to 1k and back.

Except for the glass vs sights, that almost looks like my Anschutz 1807.

The problem with Ely, its not consistant between lots. Its highly accurate, but best buy in large lots. The next lot probley wont shoot the same place.

Anschutz%201807.jpg

Kraig, now that is a fine looking rifle. I have always been a BIG fan of Anschutz! Got any more pics?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kraig, now that is a fine looking rifle. I have always been a BIG fan of Anschutz! Got any more pics?</div></div>

Actually that's not my rifle, mine is right handed. My camera is broke, if I can figure out how to work my Wife's, I'll take some pictures of it.

Its the finest shooting 22 I've ever ran across. It certainly will tell you if the ammo's any good. When shooting english matches & ISU targets at 50 yards you'll quicly see the difference in lots of the same brand.

I understand about the difference in lot# with rimfire, thats why I always liked high end air rifles the accuracy is awsome! I get frustrated with rimfire which is why I never keep a rimfire very long. However Im gonna try and hold on to this one for a bit.

P94s, awsome peice of kit, if anyone knows of a stock going spare (for the range model) i am in desperate need.

Pm me if you do
    smile.gif

Machine number and velocity is most important when buying Eley ammo

My Sako loves Wolf/SK ammo. CCI SV also shoots good. Never tried the high end stuff though.

Great looking rifle you have there!

Keith