• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Sako Finnlight and a AtacR 4-16x50

bwahl

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2018
Bismarck, ND
I'm about to pull the trigger on an AtacR 4-16x50 for my Finnlight.

Have the valdada bases epoxied on and am looking at APA 34 low rings.

Probably a long shot but has anyone else put this scope or a similar 34 mm scope on a Sako 85?

34mm rings on a sako 85 is certainly challenging, certainly limited options using the sako dovetails. I have 2piece picatinny bases made by tier one, which are probabely similar to your valdada bases.
Another option is EAW slide on mounts which fit straight into the sako dovetails..... /www.optics-trade.eu/nz/mounts/eaw-slide-on-mount-for-sako-85-m-34-mm.html
Pricey, but I would be picking they will be well made plus would probabley keep your scope lower than your proposed set up. Im also quite keen on mounting 4-16x50 atacr on a sako 85 so will be interested in how you get on....

I’m running a 4-16x42F1 ATACR on a Sako 75 Finnlite and a NEAR rail with Warne low rings. I did have 3.5-15x56 NXS before and the ATACR is a lot better than the odd NXS.

I have a Sako 85 Finnlight in .260. I have a custom 20moa rail on the action (had it drilled and tapped). I have used a 3-12x50 S&B PMII for a long time, and the ATACR would be a similar size and weight. I think it is slightly too large and heavy for the rifle and recently changed to a Leupold Mk6 3-18x44 which is a much better fit in size/balance. It carries a lot more nicely.

See for details - latest film (#48) shows the Mk6 setup.

Reactions: bwahl
I like the idea of drilling and tapping the 85 action and using a canted light aluminum picatinny rail. I have a Sako carbonlight that weighs 5 lb 3 oz without scope, I think that would make sense to do that with. Presently it has heavy optilock ringmounts and a Zeiss HT 2.5-10x50.

34mm rings on a sako 85 is certainly challenging, certainly limited options using the sako dovetails. I have 2piece picatinny bases made by tier one, which are probabely similar to your valdada bases.
Another option is EAW slide on mounts which fit straight into the sako dovetails..... /www.optics-trade.eu/nz/mounts/eaw-slide-on-mount-for-sako-85-m-34-mm.html
Pricey, but I would be picking they will be well made plus would probabley keep your scope lower than your proposed set up. Im also quite keen on mounting 4-16x50 atacr on a sako 85 so will be interested in how you get on....

I have never heard of the EAW mounts before, but just looking at them briefly, they look to be the same design as the optilock. I have had decent experiences with optilock before, however, this rifle is a 7 mm rem mag and after a discussion with Richard Near, I've come to the conclusion that the design used by EAW and optilock is not ideal for a heavy scope.

I am going to try the valdada bases epoxied on, if they give me trouble I will tap the action to accept a rail. The epoxy (G-Flex) seems to be holding the bases on pretty well. I tapped each of them with the weight of a hammer from a couple inches away a couple times and they didn't budge. Recoil would apply force in the opposite direction that I tested with the hammer. Obviously, the valdada base design is using the same concept as the NEAR rail.

I have never heard of the EAW mounts before, but just looking at them briefly, they look to be the same design as the optilock. I have had decent experiences with optilock before, however, this rifle is a 7 mm rem mag and after a discussion with Richard Near, I've come to the conclusion that the design used by EAW and optilock is not ideal for a heavy scope.

I am going to try the valdada bases epoxied on, if they give me trouble I will tap the action to accept a rail. The epoxy (G-Flex) seems to be holding the bases on pretty well. I tapped each of them with the weight of a hammer from a couple inches away a couple times and they didn't budge. Recoil would apply force in the opposite direction that I tested with the hammer. Obviously, the valdada base design is using the same concept as the NEAR rail.

I don't think I would epoxy them, if they were mine. It seems to me that the design only tightens on the rail under recoil. Wouldn't epoxy likely keep the bases from tightening under recoil? I would let them tighten under recoil and then make a witness mark so I could tell if they had ever loosened while traveling.

Mr. Near seems pretty knowledgable from the few times I have been in contact with him. That's why my two main rifles have his rails and rings.

Not sure how I feel about epoxying them on, but sounds like it's too late

Indeed too late. However, Near said he has recommended epoxy on his bases before for the few times that someone had an issue with them coming loose.

Not a sako but running the same rings/scope combo on a tikka and very happy with it
could you PM me a picture of your base/ring/scope set up? I'd like to look and see how it mounts up and what kind of space I may be dealing with. I have an extended front base and want to make sure the scope looks like it will work. APA charges a 20% restocking fee if I have to return them so I'd like to be as sure as possible before I order.

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
Firstly, way to unbalance a beautiful light weight rifle.....
Secondly, I think Sako make 34mm Optilocks, I've seen them for sale.

Gray wolf, I was referring to an Atacr on a Finnwolf, but yes you are correct, the Optilocks aren't featherweight either.
I have an NXS2.5-10x24 on my Black Bear and I reckon that's boderline too big.

anyone else have experience with a sako and this scope in terms of ring/base combo for the AtacR 4-16x50

Did some playing around tonight. Put the 4-16x50 atacr on my rifle and an nxs just to see how it would balance. Store didnt have a 3.5-15x50 nxs so I put a longer 5.5-22x50 on it just to see.

Nxs:
20180629_204208.jpg

ATACR:

20180629_200716.jpg

Kinda looks a bit awkward visually with the 34mm atacr, certainly sitting up a bit higher than the 30mm nxs.....

What are your thoughts on them Bwahl???

Kinda looks a bit awkward visually with the 34mm atacr, certainly sitting up a bit higher than the 30mm nxs.....

What are your thoughts on them Bwahl???
The nxs Def looked less awkward on the rifle. I'm not to concerned with looks as I am with low light performance. But that nxs has a little more forgiving eye relief and is some cheaper...pluss allows for a lower mounting profile.

I was using nightforce mediums (1") on th atacr and lows (. 885") on the nxs... I could get lower with apa lows but I'd have to cut off the front of my front rail.

Will be interested to know which way you go.

Be aware the ejection system on the sako 85 was not really designed for scopes such as these with proud turrets,, so theres every chance when you eject a spent case it "may" hit the bottom of your windage turret on its way out....

I'm about to list a 4-16X42 ATACR in the optics section. It is like new, with a mil-c reticle. PM me if you are interested, I assure you the price will be good.

I'm about to list a 4-16X42 ATACR in the optics section. It is like new, with a mil-c reticle. PM me if you are interested, I assure you the price will be good.
Thank but no thanks... I prefer a second focal plane for hunting.

I've changed my Mind and settled on a 3.5-15x50 nxs. Seemed more logical with a lower profile and easier mounting solutions. Being a bit cheaper also helped since the difference can go towards my first kestrel.

Thanks for the thread gentlemen.

3.5-15x50 nxs. Feel pretty good about my decision. Brass hits the windage knob, but as long as I don't work the bolt like a pussy she works just fine.

Range time!
20180806_205804.jpg