• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako S20 Precision Vs Seekins Havoc Bravo

Which would you recommend?

• Total voters

mwiggi

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2020
South Georgia
I’m torn between the two rifles mentioned above. Or if I’m being a total idiot by buying a 6.5 to shoot to 1000 yards. Never seen the Sako S20 in person but have a Tikka CTR 308 in a Bravo that I love. Found the Seekins rifle today while looking for a Sako. Bass Pro has the Sako on sale right now, but I really like the Seekins and the bravo chassis is a plus since I already own two.

Mostly looking for an easier cartridge than my 308 to shoot out to 1000 yards and whitetail deer hunt out to 500y.

I’m just getting comfortable behind the rifle. I’ve hunted my whole life but it’s much different when you learn to dial, plus reading wind. I have no trouble shooting my CZ 457 22lr at 500 yards, so I’m hoping taking the 6.5 to 1000y will be easy. I’ve already shot my 308 to 600 yards with no trouble, but haven’t attempted a further shot.

I have mostly been using 150-165g in my 308, but ordered some 178g to stretch out a little further.

I know I’ll go through the PRC barrel a lot quicker than the creedmoor, but I only shoot a couple hundred rounds a year.

Any advice on buying either one? Or sticking to the 308 and use the appropriate weight bullets to shoot past 600y?

I wasn’t impressed with the action on the Havak, just the feel though, didn’t get to shoot it. Maybe it will break in and get smoother. I’ve read their Hit is better but haven’t had one.

The Tikka has been proven to be top tier. I’d recommend these over any factory action.

No experience with the Sako.

As for the caliber, 6.5cm all day long vs .308. The recoil is what sold me on the 6.5, call me a puss but shooting the .308 all day wasn’t fun. I’d second the other member’s advice and rebarrel your Tikka to 6.5.

CTR in bravo > Havoc > S20

Tikka's are well established as bang for your buck performers. I can't stand the Havoc bolts [the are anything but smooth]. The S20's are the most garbage rifles Sako has ever stamped their name on.

Buy a 6.5 prefit for your Tikka. Or if you must buy a rifle, buy another Tikka.

Thanks y’all! I really thought the Havok was a good deal. The bolt was just as smooth as my Tikka. But I trust what you guys say entirely.

Looks like I’ll just be keeping my Tikka CTR 308. It’s the most accurate rifle that I’ve owned, so I’d hate to put a 6.5cm barrel on it and ruin that accuracy. I can get another 6.5 CTR for $900 or the stainless for a grand at my LGS.

My 178g ELD 308 ammo should be in this week, so maybe once I realize I can hit steel at 308, that money burning a hole in my pocket can go to something else. Perhaps the Vortex Fury AB rangefinder.

Thanks y’all! I really thought the Havok was a good deal. The bolt was just as smooth as my Tikka. But I trust what you guys say entirely.

Looks like I’ll just be keeping my Tikka CTR 308. It’s the most accurate rifle that I’ve owned, so I’d hate to put a 6.5cm barrel on it and ruin that accuracy. I can get another 6.5 CTR for $900 or the stainless for a grand at my LGS.

My 178g ELD 308 ammo should be in this week, so maybe once I realize I can hit steel at 308, that money burning a hole in my pocket can go to something else. Perhaps the Vortex Fury AB rangefinder.
I have a Havak action that was used to build a 6.5 CM in a chassis. I bought the gun with 21 rounds on it and it has served me well.

I too thought running the bolt was a bit rough but that did indeed smooth out just fine.

I do find that in this JAE chassis and using MDT mags, it does like the bolt to be run to closed with some authority (which frankly I like to do anyway) and it does eject brass a good distance which is not terribly objectionable.

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
My local Scheels has them for $1099. Are they that bad? Tikka CTR was the same price and it's in a plastic stock.
CTR kicks the pants off the S20. I'm really surprised Sako let that product hit production.

Thats what I'm trying to find out. I've always wanted to try a sako because my tikkas shoot so we'll. On paper the s20 looks pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_20220911_165917867.jpg
    IMG_20220911_165917867.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 87
I haven’t seen a review on the shooting performance of the S20. I’m wondering if people can’t get by the fit and finish too even buy one. I too was super interested in the S20 when I first saw them announced. Then I played with one. Then I wasn’t…
Play with it, if it passes that test, give it a try and get back to us. :)

The S20's have horrible QC for whatever reason. I've seen a few now that won't shoot with seasoned marksmen behind them

Got a S20 Hunter version in 6.5PRC and it has shot great for me. I may have gotten lucky, but I'll take it. 1/2 MOA with Hornady match ammo.

Reactions: Bakwa
I got one in 6.5cm, shot factory 130 sierras and no problem. Action super smooth, stock eeeh but it works. Trigger isn't bad at all. Gonna try factory 143 eldx and at some point I will load for it. Pretty cool lil rifle but everybody has there own view on it. If you want one get it. S20 precision

There's been a lot of hit and miss reports with the S20, especially on the Euro forums where they are more prevalent. I think Sako had a good idea but messed up the execution. The plastic feeling stock, it works, but it's noisy and just feels cheap. The other issues I've heard of and seen first hand is some seem to struggle to pick up rounds from the mag, the one I saw doing it was 300wm, you also will find this reported across various forums. I've seen a couple at the range that were hammers, and some that were not, so it seems like performance is hit and miss. If you get a bad one Beretta is probably not going to be fun to deal with. We also can't get the 2 stage trigger option and heavy barrel option in the states. It's too bad the couple I've shot had great triggers, and really smooth/solid bolts.

It's probably telling that multiple stores are cutting almost prices in 1/3 to move these things. I've seen $500-600 off at Scheels and Cabelas, and it seems like Cabelas is no longer carrying these, just closing out what they have left as there's no longer any entry for them except demo/display units they are trying to dump.

Think about that, when was the last time you saw a Sako or any other quality rifle discounted 30+% in the last couple years?

Reactions: mwiggi and Bakwa