• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USK308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Greetings' Hide! After reading a crap-ton of posts and researching like a mad-man, I picked up a Sako S20 Precision, chambered in 7 Rem Mag. Put an Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 4.5-27x50 optic using the Sako 20MOA mount with 30mm low rings and a MagPul 9-slow M-LOK 1913 Pic Rail up front with an Atlas BT65-LW17 bipod.

All in, no rounds in the mag, the rifle weighs in a 9lbs 14.7oz.

Bore-sighted and laser sighted at 50yds here at the house; will be sighting in the rifle at the range tomorrow (100yd range). Will shoot at a longer range (300 yds) in about 10 days to put some additional rounds downrange and verify sight-in.

Thanks to ALL on the 'hide for the immense volume of information regarding bolt action rifles.

Attachments

• S20_Bipod@90.jepg.jpeg
    [email protected]
    638.9 KB · Views: 364
  • S20_Scope & Bipod Weight.jpeg
    S20_Scope & Bipod Weight.jpeg
    722.7 KB · Views: 207
Any range report data available? How the rifle shoots, groups? Any issues? Did you get the single or double stage trigger? How's the trigger feel; How does the action run?

I've been eyeballing an S20 Precision in .308....

Any range report data available? How the rifle shoots, groups? Any issues? Did you get the single or double stage trigger? How's the trigger feel; How does the action run?

I've been eyeballing an S20 Precision in .308....
I have put rounds downrange, for sure! The rifle is by far, the best rifle I have ever owned...no issues whatsoever!

Extremely smooth trigger pull (single stage). Initial ~100 rounds the action was a little stiff, but now that I have put ~400 rounds downrange, the action is butter-smooth. I did purchase the Sako muzzle break (5/8x24) along with 1 pack of the Sako S20 spacers for the buttstock. Added 1 spacer and the LoP is perfect (for me) now.

In terms of accuracy, I have consistently been shooting .5" MOA groups at 100yds (only local range I have. There is another about 2 hours away that goes out to 1000, but I haven't been out there yet). Attached is an example of the grouping (5-shot) when I was down in AZ visiting my Mom back in March.

Attachments

• Sako S20 Precision - 7RM_BenAveryRange_SubMOA App.PNG
    Sako S20 Precision - 7RM_BenAveryRange_SubMOA App.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 203
some great deals on s20s at eurooptic
$1299! I've certainly seen some complaints about the cheapy hollow stock, and the non-full length pic rail isn't awesome, and you kinda have to hope for a shooter, but at the price it's seems a lot of rifle. Especially if it shoots!

My other issue is being lefty and they only come in normal configuration. But, that might not be a deal-breaker for my use case.

$1299! I've certainly seen some complaints about the cheapy hollow stock, and the non-full length pic rail isn't awesome, and you kinda have to hope for a shooter, but at the price it's seems a lot of rifle. Especially if it shoots!

My other issue is being lefty and they only come in normal configuration. But, that might not be a deal-breaker for my use case.
yea i almost got one in 7RM but ended up just with another t3x lite

I have both the Precision and the Hunter stocks (literally a <60 sec process to swap out) and I DO NOT feel they are hollow feeling. Like any rifle or pistol though, everyone has their own take and desires. :)

I have both the Precision and the Hunter stocks (literally a <60 sec process to swap out) and I DO NOT feel they are hollow feeling. Like any rifle or pistol though, everyone has their own take and desires. :)
May could just be splitting hairs, tbh. I have no doubt a / any Sako is a leagues better rifle than the Brownings and Remingtons I grew up shooting. I'm sure some of the less favorable reviews were from folks with higher-end kit, and who have higher/different expectations.

I'll have to find a dealer locally and fondle one (S20, not the dealer...)

• Haha
Reactions: USK308
May could just be splitting hairs, tbh. I have no doubt a / any Sako is a leagues better rifle than the Brownings and Remingtons I grew up shooting. I'm sure some of the less favorable reviews were from folks with higher-end kit, and who have higher/different expectations.

I'll have to find a dealer locally and fondle one (S20, not the dealer...)
I picked mine up at Sportsman’s Warehouse. Careful with those dealers…they’re sketchy 2A wing nuts ya know 😂🤣😂

Looks like Euro Optic is trying to blow out the "old" grey S20 models, and new stock patterns are incoming shortly.

Tan, Green, and "Fusion" (Camo) the new colors.

Also looks like the Precision stock is going away and only Hunter style will remain.

I have put rounds downrange, for sure! The rifle is by far, the best rifle I have ever owned...no issues whatsoever!

Extremely smooth trigger pull (single stage). Initial ~100 rounds the action was a little stiff, but now that I have put ~400 rounds downrange, the action is butter-smooth. I did purchase the Sako muzzle break (5/8x24) along with 1 pack of the Sako S20 spacers for the buttstock. Added 1 spacer and the LoP is perfect (for me) now.

In terms of accuracy, I have consistently been shooting .5" MOA groups at 100yds (only local range I have. There is another about 2 hours away that goes out to 1000, but I haven't been out there yet). Attached is an example of the grouping (5-shot) when I was down in AZ visiting my Mom back in March.
Wish the 300 I bought shot like that. Seems like you either get a great one or a lemon. My 300 I've tried several ammo types, cleaned, re-torqued, different optics, muzzle brake and not, and it's pretty much 1.5-2" at 100 slow fire. It also has issues picking up a round from the mag that I've seen reported elsewhere off and on. Even first round on an open bolt. Been trying to get ahold of someone at Beretta to get it evaluated, but it's been like pulling teeth. Can't get to a human through the phone system, and I've filled out their online service/warranty request form multiple times and never heard from anyone there. S20 has a lot of great features, but it's pretty porky for a hunting rifle when you have options like the Havak Hit for almost 2lbs less, and it's 10lbs too light for a precision rig in US rifle games. If you get a shooter though for the price they are blowing out the remaining old units it's a steal.

I'd fit into the camp that the stock is very noisy/plastic/cheap feeling. It's very hard plastic and hollow which makes it noisy and cheep feeling, but it's stood up.

I'd imagine the precision stock has been pretty much a marketing failure in the US market. We still can't get the 2 stage trigger or heavy barrel options.

If the offered the 2 stage and improved the stock (not sure if the new versions are any better feeling), and Beretta knew what customer service was they might have a winner.

• Wow
1.5" -> 2" groups @ 100? Hmmmm, that seems very off. :cry::cry:

Are you using the 7 round magazine? I have 4 of them and they all feed my 7Rem Mag ammo fine. As for shooting, does your rifle have a bipod affixed? When I was first sighting in the rifle on a lead-sled, I couldn't hit the barrel of a barn with help from 20 of my friends (lmao).
After affixing the bipod, and using proper form to support the rifle and controlled breathing, I have been consistently shooting sub 0.5"MOA groups (mostly with Hornady Precision 162gr ELD-X, but also with some other rounds from 139 --> 165gr, to understand any variance) over 5 trips to the range and ~250 rounds (yeah, a little $ spent, but worth it to ensure I am shooting where I want!).

The 7rd mags did better for me than the 3rd for sure. It's common enough people actually sell kits to modify the mags to improve feeding.

I haven't used a lead sled for many years, don't think I've tried shooting it off a bipod/prone, but I've never had problems getting good groups with 300 mags lighter than the S20 off a front rest/bag in the past. I did try both my normal front rest with Protektor front/rear bags, and also borrowed a shooting buddies X-bag shooting bag with a rear bag, neither seemed to impact results. Did all the usual stuff, swapped out mount/optic with a proven performer, tore everything down and re-torqued it, etc. Shot with and without a muzzle brake, had other guys try shooting it.

I was just shooting factory loads but tried many of the popular match rounds in both heavier and lighter variations. Gold Medal 190/215, Hornady Match 178 and 195, Hornady Precision hunter 200gr, Vor-tx 180gr, Berger Match 168gr to try something lighter, Barnes precision 220 to go heavy, HSM trophy 185gr, Remington Scirocco 180gr. Some did better than others, but nothing really shined. It seemed to suffer from flyers, it would stack 2-3 out of 5, and throw 2-3 way out. I've shot 2 other 300wm S20's at the range, one had similar accuracy issues and feeding issues, the other was a tack driver and seemed to feed fine.

I'm sure there's some shooter impact with magnum calibers, but reading forums, especially overseas where the s20 is much more popular, it seems like the long actions are more hit/miss on both accuracy and the feeding issue.

That said, honestly I must have had the worst karma in a previous life, because I am a lemon/issue magnet, even with bulletproof products. Companies should literally pay me to randomly pick products off their assembly line and they could probably eliminate their whole QC process.

• Haha
Are you still not able to order the 2-stage trigger separately and have a gunsmith install it?
I've never seen a listing for a S20 2-stage trigger being sold separately, even from overseas suppliers. Some manufacturers won't sell a trigger assembly separately because they want to ensure gunsmith installation so they'll make you return the gun for a trigger swap. I doubt Beretta USA even stocks the 2 stage trigger part, since they don't import that configuration, so you'd have to get someone to ship you one from overseas, or convince Beretta USA to import one......given my experience with Beretta USA........I would not hold my breath, but it never hurts to call them and ask :)