• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG-22?

Re: Sako TRG-22?

Well you dropped some coin didn't you? I know about the anticipation thing. I've got everything in hand except the new NXS. I try not to think about it.

Doesn't work.

This was my Iraq tour savings program (I saved up some money, it helped that my wife worked while I was gone).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All Sako stuff minus the optic,
ITRS
Bipod
4 mags
muzzle brake
Tan 20" barrel TRG-22

I am trying to figure out what height rings to get for a scope with a 50mm objective lens??? The optic is a Leupold Mark4 E/RT 6.5-20X50mm M5 FFP TMR ie mil/mil. The scope is on order, can't wait for it and the rifle!</div></div>

The 20" trg22 comes with a pic rail from the factory,0 moa.I just got my 20" and i used NF med rings and it clears the 50mm Nightforce scope.I think the height of the rings are 1.00" Your Mk4 should be fine with med rings.

I keep going back and forth on one of these. Invest a ton of cash in my 700, or save it, spend a bit more, and get a TRG?

I really liked the one I shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I keep going back and forth on one of these. Invest a ton of cash in my 700, or save it, spend a bit more, and get a TRG?

I really liked the one I shot. </div></div>

Take it from my buddy who spent a ton of cash on his 700 and now is trying to get some of that money back out of it so he can get a TRG like he wished he had just done to begin with... get the TRG. You can throw as much money at that 700 as you want but it will never be a TRG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I keep going back and forth on one of these. Invest a ton of cash in my 700, or save it, spend a bit more, and get a TRG? </div></div>

I did the tricked up remmy 700 thing, spent a shitload of cash on new stock, trigger, blueprint and THEN bought a TRG, no comparison, TRG superior in every way, wish I had of saved the cash and bought the SAKO first DOH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I keep going back and forth on one of these. Invest a ton of cash in my 700, or save it, spend a bit more, and get a TRG?

I really liked the one I shot. </div></div>

Shameless plug: I just happen to have a couple for sale right now in the for sale section.
cool.gif

Hey Stefan 73. Got a dealer friend thats got a TRG22 w/the factory 3 ring mount. It's as new for 2400ish. The factory mount is 400 alone.Only hitch is a black stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take it from my buddy who spent a ton of cash on his 700 and now is trying to get some of that money back out of it so he can get a TRG like he wished he had just done to begin with... get the TRG. You can throw as much money at that 700 as you want but it will never be a TRG. </div></div>I'm pretty much sold. In fact, this post is partly to help get me to 100 posts so that I can post up my 700 and maybe an AR for sale, to help fund my new TRG...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuscalino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did the tricked up remmy 700 thing, spent a shitload of cash on new stock, trigger, blueprint and THEN bought a TRG, no comparison, TRG superior in every way, wish I had of saved the cash and bought the SAKO first DOH </div></div>See, that's the boat I'm in now. I was going to get a stock, trigger, and send out to be blueprinted, have the barrel set back, etc. I would be unhappy after dropping that coin if it didn't shoot how I wanted it to, plus, I would be pretty close to TRG money at that point...

Not claiming to be a voice in the wilderness...but went down the TRG road a few years back and was perhaps looked askance just a tiny bit.
Nowadays it appears more have jumped on the bandwagon.
They perform.
Are they a GAP or an AI? No. (I've shot both enough to compare)
If and when able or funds allow, try them all out sometime. For a factory stick, you will probably settle on AI or TRG. The winnow seems to leave just those two.

Yeah, the other one I am considering is the AI AW, but it seems like for the price difference, the TRG is the way to go. I might start a thread about it though.

If you can get behind one and/or handle one and see what appeals to you! I really liked the TRG I fondled and drooled over. It felt really good to me.

The trigger is also more customizable and, IMO, the trigger on the TRG is WAY better than that of the AI rifles. That's no small component when it comes to shooting either.

Bear in mind that the AI AW is not a competitor product to the TRG. The AIAE is a better direct comparison to the TRG in terms of features, durability etc. The AI AW would be considered on a higher level durability-wise with the bonded chassis.

Also make note that while the barrel/caliber change on the AI is a 10 minute process, there are only a few smiths capable of changing out the barrel on the TRG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there are only a few smiths capable of changing out the barrel on the TRG. </div></div>

If by "few" you meant any smith that can read a schematic, check the thread pitch off the old barrel, accurately check headspace, etc...then yeah you might be correct. However, it just looks like our definition of "few" differs greatly. It's not rocket science. GAP and APA definitely do it...and they are on my short list. If a smith can't plumb a TRG barrel for me, I will probably be looking elsewhere for any of my rifle needs.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trigger is also more customizable and, IMO, the trigger on the TRG is WAY better than that of the AI rifles. That's no small component when it comes to shooting either. </div></div>You're right, the trigger is a huge thing. I definitely liked the trigger on the TRG I tried.

GAP, That´s just a glorified Remington 700, right?
grin.gif
wink.gif

@Stefan73, I think you will love your TRG.

Just got this from Terje338:
Untitled-1-3-1.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic, will get better when I´m on the range.

Nice, I'm trying to remember the thread on the end of the TRG (I'm looking at suppressors).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice, I'm trying to remember the thread on the end of the TRG (I'm looking at suppressors).

</div></div>

The TRG's muzzle is threaded M18x1

Well I have the TRG-22 and she is a sexy beast.
I put the ITRS on as well as the bipod and muzzle break. My Leupold ERT 6.5-20 has not come in yet so I put my M3A 10X on for a temp. fix.

I bought one of those scope leveling kits and discovered that I like to can't things to the right.

If all goes well I'll be at the range tomorrow doing some shooting with a couple of rifles.

Congrats, and tell us how it/you shoot!

I had a chance to shoot one of these last weekend after picking up my AIAW, and I can tell you that it is a sweet shooting rifle.

Well, I put 60 rounds down range sighting in the rifle (the wrong way, shoot once and move vs shoot a group and move the group). I am using my M3A until my ERT gets in. All in all I have to say that the rifle is awesome to shoot!!! The muzzle break is great!! I also have to say that "WOW" I shot like crap! I guess that the last time I shot anything non-military was about 2 years ago and I have become slightly rusty plus I am not very patient (thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it!).
Towards the end of the shooting session at 100 yards (Dust was there to see it) I shot two 3 round groups with two of the three rounds that touched or slightly better and then I would wing the third! I noticed how different I shot when I was relaxed, which was darn good, and then when I shot good I would get excited because I was shooting good and then I would screw up the third shot!

Either way the TRG is a very comfortable rifle to shoot especially with the muzzle break. I have to say that its accuracy is awesome but then with me behind it. At this time the rifle is severely hindered by its shooter!

I was shooting 168grn Black Hills (Sierra Matchkings).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I put 60 rounds down range sighting in the rifle (the wrong way, shoot once and move vs shoot a group and move the group). I am using my M3A until my ERT gets in. All in all I have to say that the rifle is awesome to shoot!!! The muzzle break is great!! I also have to say that "WOW" I shot like crap! I guess that the last time I shot anything non-military was about 2 years ago and I have become slightly rusty plus I am not very patient (thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it!).
Towards the end of the shooting session at 100 yards (Dust was there to see it) I shot two 3 round groups with two of the three rounds that touched or slightly better and then I would wing the third! I noticed how different I shot when I was relaxed, which was darn good, and then when I shot good I would get excited because I was shooting good and then I would screw up the third shot!

Either way the TRG is a very comfortable rifle to shoot especially with the muzzle break. I have to say that its accuracy is awesome but then with me behind it. At this time the rifle is severely hindered by its shooter!

I was shooting 168grn Black Hills (Sierra Matchkings). </div></div>

Thanks for allowing me to put some rounds through your rifle, it's really comfortable to shoot, and that brake really makes the recoil quite negligible, makes me really want one for the Savage!

I'm really just pleased to have made it out of there without having to fire the .300WM! lol.

Branden

You know you wanted to!!!

The .300 WM was putting a hurt on me! Good thing I haven't found my reloads, they hurt worse then the factory stuff!

Got some stuff for my TRG today, like a barrel changing kit
smile.gif
So that I can swap between the original .308w barrel and my 6.5x47 Krieger barrel.

All I gotta do now is to paint the Krieger barrel.

Crappy pic:
saaaaaaaaa.jpg

Reactions: CerebralDistortion

Nice Lill-rambo, is that other bar for the action

Interesting. How much did the change kit run, and were you able to order the barrel, or did you have to have it fit to the gun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got some stuff for my TRG today, like a barrel changing kit
smile.gif
So that I can swap between the original .308w barrel and my 6.5x47 Krieger barrel.

Crappy pic:
saaaaaaaaa.jpg
</div></div>

How fast does it take to change out the barrels? And what tools are needed?

10min and you need a torque wrench(about 9kg) plus the things you see in the pic and a vise.

2600SEK incl. all the work + tools

The Krieger barrel I had on my remmy before, so had to change the thread from imperial to metric.

The barrel is a bit to thick right now, can´t use the TRG-bipod
grin.gif
so it needs to be thinner.

That's 350 bucks in American dollars...So much for the whole AI over TRG for barrel swap. I might try one out.

Josh

Lill-Rambo,

I am assuming your torque wrench is in kg/cm^2? If so, that equates out to about 130 lb/in^2 for those of us not on the metric system.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much is a AI barrel change kit?

Edit - Never mind, found it on Sporting Service and it´s £750 = $1060 Holy fakkin shit! </div></div>

How much will a barrel change kit save you over the life of your rifle?

Especially if you change calibers, think gunsmithing, shipping, down time, what is it worth to change a barrel in less than 15 minutes, any time you feel like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much is a AI barrel change kit?

Edit - Never mind, found it on Sporting Service and it´s £750 = $1060 Holy fakkin shit! </div></div>

How much will a barrel change kit save you over the life of your rifle?

Especially if you change calibers, think gunsmithing, shipping, down time, what is it worth to change a barrel in less than 15 minutes, any time you feel like it. </div></div>

He was just stating how it was way more than the change kit for the TRG.

If you have the action wrench you can use any barrel vise the same as with the TRG, it's not like he is using a Sako change kit.

Others make the action wrench that works for less.

I realize that. He looked up his figures. I'd get it from TBAC if it were me. Either way, it is a great option for swapping calibers. For that price...I just might try it.

Josh

So it's just pretty much the same tools to swap any barrel out. Where do you get the action wrench from? Same as the AIs?

Thanks for the info Lill Rambo, outside the gunsmiths, I haven't seen too much about swapping barrels on a TRG.

Huh.

Well, I still wouldn't change my decision, I love my AW, but the TRG is a sweet piece of machinery, and being able to change your barrel yourself is nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Huh.

Well, I still wouldn't change my decision, I love my AW, but the TRG is a sweet piece of machinery, and being able to change your barrel yourself is nice. </div></div>

bm11, nobody would honestly expect you to say..."damn, I wish I would have bought the TRG instead of the AI!" After all you bought the AI and nobody can say you made a mistake because it is your rifle. It would take a hell of a guy to say I made a $6000 mistake.
wink.gif
If you are happy with it that is all that matters. There was no way for you to make a "wrong" decision between two "rights".
I own a TRG and maybe someday if things go right, I'll own an AIAW also. One can only hope sometimes, huh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got some stuff for my TRG today, like a barrel changing kit
smile.gif

Crappy pic:
saaaaaaaaa.jpg
</div></div>

Where did you get the change kit from?