• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG-22?

Re: Sako TRG-22?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bm11, nobody would honestly expect you to say..."damn, I wish I would have bought the TRG instead of the AI!" After all you bought the AI and nobody can say you made a mistake because it is your rifle. It would take a hell of a guy to say I made a $6000 mistake.
wink.gif
If you are happy with it that is all that matters. There was no way for you to make a "wrong" decision between two "rights".
I own a TRG and maybe someday if things go right, I'll own an AIAW also. One can only hope sometimes, huh? </div></div>I probably will end up with a TRG at some point too. I really like it!

My comment was because of the amount of posts in my TRG vs AW thread where everyone cited end user replaceable barrels as a huge selling point for the AW. It was part of my decision making factor.

You wouldn't happen to have a website or contact info would you?

Lill-rambo,
I noticed on Terje338's rifle that it has a thumbwheel adjustable cheekpiece and butt system. Is this the way it came or is it something he put on afterwards?
Thanks,
Len

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 110len</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lill-rambo,
I noticed your rifle has a thumbwheel adjustable cheekpiece and butt system. Is this the way it came or is it something you put on afterwards?
Thanks,
Len </div></div>

A guy that goes by the name "Terje" on the forum makes them.

Link

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bear in mind that the AI AW is not a competitor product to the TRG. The AIAE is a better direct comparison to the TRG in terms of features, durability etc. The AI AW would be considered on a higher level durability-wise with the bonded chassis.

Also make note that while the barrel/caliber change on the AI is a 10 minute process, there are only a few smiths capable of changing out the barrel on the TRG. </div></div>Obviously this was just disproven!

I just ordered some Nightforce Medium High/High 1.265" rings for mounting my Leupold ERT 6.5-20X50 TMR/M5 mil FFP scope on the Sako.
I needed the extra height to clear the ITRS rail.

Hopefully I measured correctly!

I also orderd the spacer adjustment system from Terje and a nice hardcase.

Just got back from shooting one of these beauties, and I must say, it was awesome. Really soft shooting, with a smooth action and great accuracy, even with my limited, n00bish skills. Rifle almost did all the work for me. It'd be an excellent buy, to be sure!

Glad you liked it!

I'm still working on getting all the bells and whistles for mine!
I need to be working on my skills since the rifle will outshoot me!

Status of my Sako.
I just put my Nightforce 1.256 aluminum rings on to get my Leupold E/RT 6.5-20X50 Mil/Mil FFP to clear the ITRS mount (the forward rail for night optics and accessories).

So far the build looks like,
TRG-22 .308 Win Tan with 20" barrel
5 magazines
Sako Bipod
Sako ITRS
Sako Muzzle Break
Nightforce aluminum rings
Leupold Mark4 E/RT 6.5-20X50 Mil/Mil M5 turrets FFP
Dewey cleaning rod and bore savor rod guide
Hardig IM3300 case

I ordered the spacers from Terje.

I also bought Redding competition dies and some bushings and upgraded my press from a cheapo Lee to the RCBS Ammomaster (so I can also load 50 BMG). I picked up some Lapua brass and 175 SMK's and I ordered 155 Scenars, I'll be using Viht N140 and IMR 4895.

I was able to save up a little bit of money from this last deployment.

Sounds like you are getting setup in a hurry!

I am very fond of my TRG42.
Bought it with the standard plastic stock and got the oppertunity to get a folder later.
I love that folder, as it makes shooting so much easyer.
I know the prce of it is rediculous but since I have used it a bit now I think that the folder is 50% of the reason for that rifle.

Apart from the obvious thing with a shorter rifle when transporting it, the main point is that there is a quick adjustability for lenght of pull, buttplate height and cheekpiece.
I adjust betwen the various shooting positions and have about 1,25" longer pull when shooting prone.
Same thing with the buttplate, it's all to the top when shooting prone. It's also great when cleaning as the stock just folds away so the bolt can be removed and it's easyer to reach with the cleaningrod.
img4b4529c8240f2.jpg

I wasent very fond of the orignal bipod, so I used another solution.
And I HATE to have the bipod under the foreend as the gun gets high,the bipod is annoying when carrying the gun and its generally annoying.
So I machined a picrail for the foreend.
img4b452a0eb69e9.jpg

img4b452a2fb2470.jpg

Mounts
I think a serious sniping rifle SHOULD have the rail integrated to the action and not screwed glued on.
I have used picatinnyrail on it in the past, but found that solution to be fairly backwards........
So here is my own mount, machined to the rifle.
36006_465815549407_680984407_6430257_4925586_n.jpg

Håkan

I recieved and put on Terje's stock spacer/adjustment parts as well as my TAG sling as well as my E/RT 6.5-20 with TMR and M5 turrets.

All I need is a .30 cal suppressor and I will be good to go!
I'll post pictures later tonight.

Spuhr, that rail you made is awesome. Price dependent, I think you could sell a ton of those if you were so inclined. I know I'd be first in line. Any plans?

Mammal,

There is a group buy going on right now for the Spuhr mounts. Check the GB forum!

-Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what does the TRG stand for?</div></div>

TaRGet

Stefan73, did you shoot it yet? I may have missed the post but wanted to know what you thought of the system. Also, you got a nice set up!

I have put about 60 rounds down range with my old M3A and then I recieved my new Leupold so I fired about another 40 rounds to zero that at 100 yards. All I have done is zero it with both of the optics that I had on it. I need to shoot more (the above is how many rounds I have fired with it so far) to get back into shooting (it has been a few years since I have fired anything outside of military weapons).

The first day I shot it (last two group attempts of the day) I actualy had a nice hole in hole and then got excited and pulled the third round, the next group the first two rounds were touching and then I again got excited and pulled the third one! Dust was there to see it. I really need to sit down and practice shooting again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mammal,

There is a group buy going on right now for the Spuhr mounts. Check the GB forum!

-Bob </div></div>

I think he is referring to the rail that the bipod is mounted on. I would love to see it made because Accushot is taking a long time to bring their Sako spigot to market.

ETA: If he is talking about the scope mount, then you are directing him to the right place. Either way, the mounts from Spuhr are SWEET!

Josh

Yep. Thanks, MD. I was referring to the bipod rail. Sorry for the confusion.

I've been waiting on the Accushot for ages. Didn't think it was still even in the works. Gave my Harris to a buddy, so I'm in the market for an Atlas, now. I wish someone would hurry up and make a spigot-style adapter.

Action wrench would be nice, too...if any manufacturers are listening.
smile.gif

Mammal, sorry for the extended delay but we are really making a TRG Spigot. In fact we had one prototyped and ready to roll when we did the re-design from the V7 to the V8. The V8 required changes to the spigot which have been modeled but we need to prototype it first. And in the meantime, we did the changes to the AI Spigot.... The V2 AI spigot is done so once that machine is free, we'll make the prototype. The TRG is the next new thing we'll do, as it stands right now

Again, sorry for the delay and anyone interested in anything we are doing for the TRG, we have a contact list, simply send us a email at [email protected] and request us to add your name.

I have only made that rail as a prototype and I fell that if I should produce it , it shoul contain something more than just a 6 o'clock rail.
It feels to simple right now.

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have only made that rail as a prototype and I fell that if I should produce it , it shoul contain something more than just a 6 o'clock rail.

Håkan </div></div>

Whats bad about simple?

Absolutely nothing, but there seems to be good oppertunitys to make something more sopistiscated with NV attachments or maybe AI spigot hole or something else.

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Absolutely nothing, but there seems to be good oppertunitys to make something more sopistiscated with NV attachments or maybe AI spigot hole or something else.

Håkan </div></div>

I would be content with a basic spigot located pic rail for an Atlas V8 bipod. I don't need anything fancy and in fact the one you have pictured above would meet my needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have put about 60 rounds down range with my old M3A and then I recieved my new Leupold so I fired about another 40 rounds to zero that at 100 yards. All I have done is zero it with both of the optics that I had on it. I need to shoot more (the above is how many rounds I have fired with it so far) to get back into shooting (it has been a few years since I have fired anything outside of military weapons).

The first day I shot it (last two group attempts of the day) I actualy had a nice hole in hole and then got excited and pulled the third round, the next group the first two rounds were touching and then I again got excited and pulled the third one! Dust was there to see it. I really need to sit down and practice shooting again! </div></div>

You know Stephan, I think we need to do some more with that rifle and make sure that it is indeed you, and not something with the ammo, or the rifle. I remember when I shot it it did the same thing IIRC. Either way, I have no problem taking one for the team and firing the Sako for you if you're too sore from the .300WM lol.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have only made that rail as a prototype and I fell that if I should produce it , it shoul contain something more than just a 6 o'clock rail.

Håkan </div></div>

Spuhr,

I agree with mammal and Jer. A simple, rock solid 6 o'clock rail that will let me run my choice of bi-pod on a pic rail is perfect for most TRG shooters. While there are guys out there that will want/need additional rail space for NV equipment (similar to the Badger Ord IMUNs), most of us just want simple and solid.

SFT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have put about 60 rounds down range with my old M3A and then I recieved my new Leupold so I fired about another 40 rounds to zero that at 100 yards. All I have done is zero it with both of the optics that I had on it. I need to shoot more (the above is how many rounds I have fired with it so far) to get back into shooting (it has been a few years since I have fired anything outside of military weapons).

The first day I shot it (last two group attempts of the day) I actualy had a nice hole in hole and then got excited and pulled the third round, the next group the first two rounds were touching and then I again got excited and pulled the third one! Dust was there to see it. I really need to sit down and practice shooting again! </div></div>

You know Stephan, I think we need to do some more with that rifle and make sure that it is indeed you, and not something with the ammo, or the rifle. I remember when I shot it it did the same thing IIRC. Either way, I have no problem taking one for the team and firing the Sako for you if you're too sore from the .300WM lol.

Branden </div></div>

I also need to figure out what the torque spec is for the action?

I need to take back my post. Based off your zero group the last time we were out, it was a good group, IIRC, you had a little bit of a cold bore shift, but 3 of the 4 shots went into a nice .5moa group. We just need to get out and shoot more.

Branden

Agreed!!!
I think I might pick up a chronograph and start working loads after I finish all the assignments I have this weekend, the joy of taking two courses at once.

Good luck at the match!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So it's just pretty much the same tools to swap any barrel out. Where do you get the action wrench from? Same as the AIs?

Thanks for the info Lill Rambo, outside the gunsmiths, I haven't seen too much about swapping barrels on a TRG. </div></div>
I haven't found an action wrnech yet but then I haven't really looked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So it's just pretty much the same tools to swap any barrel out. Where do you get the action wrench from? Same as the AIs?

Thanks for the info Lill Rambo, outside the gunsmiths, I haven't seen too much about swapping barrels on a TRG. </div></div>
I haven't found an action wrnech yet but then I haven't really looked. </div></div>
If you locate an action wrench would you let me know where to buy or borrow ? The factory barrel on on tight, real tight, and are not easily taken off. Don't apply to much twisting force in the loading port due to thin rail above magazine guide. jim

I would suggest that you give your TRG to a gunsmith the first time you loosen it, cause it is torque down soooooo hard, this is what mine looked like when I got it back:
IMG_0742.jpg

And I thought I had to paint the barrel just to hide the scratch marks.

But actually they where marks from the action wrench but they were easily removed with just some gun oil and some scotch brite pad:
IMG_0743.jpg

We did up one similar to Lil Rambo's, based off this thread partially and partially from talking to Jer.

If there's enough interest, we can offer them at some point (if he's not of course). Ours is steel, has a bit more contact with the action, and takes 19mm or 3/4" socket.
Justin

Justin,

Been looking at the stuff you guys are offering and am very excited that someone is focusing on the TRG and Tikka. What would be a round figure for an action wrench. I would definitely be interested.

Josh

More than interested. I think you'd sell a bunch. TRG's are getting pretty popular and will become even more so if more aftermarket accessories become available. I've wanted to make mine a switch-barrel for a while now. Especially in this economy, I think a lot of TRG owners would be willing to pay for a wrench, vise, and barrel over a new build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mammal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More than interested. I think you'd sell a bunch. TRG's are getting pretty popular and will become even more so if more aftermarket accessories become available. I've wanted to make mine a switch-barrel for a while now. Especially in this economy, I think a lot of TRG owners would be willing to pay for a wrench, vise, and barrel over a new build. </div></div>

+1

We'll look into it a bit further but it will take some time due to our current projects. One guy on here who I won't name was looking at doing some so maybe he still will.

For a price, it's hard to say, the one I did was pretty dang simple in design, but I machined it from pre-hardened 4140 which is a real bear to machine. I think it could be done of an easier machining steel. But we wouldn't want guys to be twisting the wrench in half so we'd have to do some testing.

The real problem is the initial barrel removal, I think they put a locking compound of some sort, I know it was on the Tikka I just did. I had to heat it with a torch, and actually ended up having to cut off the shoulder to release the tension, good thing it was a factory pencil barrel.
Justin