• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAKO TRG-22

Your gunsmith needs the action the first time then you can just order “prefit” barrels from them, as long as they are willing to do that. Plus getting the factory barrel off can be tough if your not cutting it off, so you had better either have your smith do it or have a damn good barrel vise at home.

Well, the feedback for the quality of the mags appears like sound advice. I’m going to keep my eyes open for a used bipod in excellent shape. At their cost they should have a case of their own. Some alternatives on the brake is the Lil Bastard which comes with the Sako threads. I’ll have to see the rail it comes with. Cheaper for a Near with
20 MOA since both scopes already have NF rings.

I would opt for the near rail for sure. Great guy to work with and outstanding product. Don’t short yourself on the rail! I got a 20moa on my 42 and now have a 45moa. Leave room for expansion of caliber in the future.

Reactions: Krazy_jim
Picked the TRG up yesterday. The guy doing the transfer said he was impressed with it. Now that I’ve had more time with it in my hands I know I’m going to like it. I don’t care for the included picatinny rail so that will be replaced.

Picked the TRG up yesterday. The guy doing the transfer said he was impressed with it. Now that I’ve had more time with it in my hands I know I’m going to like it. I don’t care for the included picatinny rail so that will be replaced.

I recommend ditching the rail and going with a dedicated Spuhr mount.

When you remove the rail take your time a heat gun on the screws. if you heat them up enough they will come right out. I ended up rushing the last one and rounded the head, which required a trip to my friends machine shop.

Fortunately the rail came separately in a bag with the screws in another. I will take a took at the Spuhr. Tnx

Fortunately the rail came separately in a bag with the screws in another. I will take a took at the Spuhr. Tnx
My TRG rail and screws are caked with loctite. We will see soon what it will take to get it off. Lol

EM92wx, congrats on the purchase of a Great quality rifle!!

Another option to consider is a Badger Ordnance rail.

Badger makes a 20moa and 35moa for the Sako TRG 22/42 platform.

And the best part is they are Made in the US, with material sourced in the US and package with US labor!!!

Enjoy your new rifle.

Reactions: EM92wx

Sale on these for anyone looking. 260 only it appears for the 22 format.

Ive had the hots for a TRG for several years. But other guns and dumb ideas came between a purchase. But, now the time has come and I sold some things to fund a decked out TRG 22 with lots of KRG goodness. Now I am just wating for the paperwork to clear up.

A TRG offers excellent ergonomics, best trigger available and proven accuracy. Whats not to like about that?

I love mine. There is some magic in the OEM barrels as well. I have one with the 26" 308 barrel and Ive got it to print .125" MOA enough time its not a fluke. Had one rebarreld to a bartlein 6.5CM and got the action trued at the time and will 'only' print .3. I love the ergonomics of the stock and lighter weight than most precision rigs.Post a range report! I wish I had gotten the 260.

I have two TRGs and I would not say they have the best trigger available. I would say that they have the best military trigger available. Someone who likes light trigger pulls may not be a fan. They are short a crisp albeit heavier than most Rem 700 aftermarket triggers.

Reactions: silentheart
I have two TRGs and I would not say they have the best trigger available. I would say that they have the best military trigger available. Someone who likes light trigger pulls may not be a fan. They are short a crisp albeit heavier than most Rem 700 aftermarket triggers.

Mine is light, almost too light for my preference. I'm guessing the previous owner adjusted it.

Mine is light, almost too light for my preference. I'm guessing the previous owner adjusted it.
Both mine are the newer triggers (after 2013). Adjusted all the way out, I couldn’t describe the trigger as light. The older triggers supposedly adjust about a pound lighter. I have never used those.

DA51593A-01D5-4F9B-AE6A-24681C8E70BF.png

Reactions: chevytruck_83
I have been kicking around the idea of a TRG22 and have a couple questions:

1.) I have read mixed reports that the Tikka CTR mags will work in the TRG22? Can anyone confirm this?
2.) Factory barrel threads on the muzzle are M18x1.0?
3.) I have seen that LRI / SAC / DMR LLC all do work on TRG 22's is there any other reputable gunsmiths that do work on them? I know KRG sells prefits w/ the barrel nut and action wrench
4.) Anyone run the KRG TRG folding stock and have any feedback?

1. Nope, but the Sako mags will work with the tikkas
2. Correct
3. You have options
4. Can’t help you there

The mags that came with the older CTR were identical and worked but they changed them so now they won't. I have a factory folder or I would have the KRG butt stock. I have a couple whiskey 3 chassis and rwally like them which is why I would have one on my trg.

I have been kicking around the idea of a TRG22 and have a couple questions:

1.) I have read mixed reports that the Tikka CTR mags will work in the TRG22? Can anyone confirm this?
2.) Factory barrel threads on the muzzle are M18x1.0?
3.) I have seen that LRI / SAC / DMR LLC all do work on TRG 22's is there any other reputable gunsmiths that do work on them? I know KRG sells prefits w/ the barrel nut and action wrench
4.) Anyone run the KRG TRG folding stock and have any feedback?

Krg folding stock is the bees knees! And SAC does stellar TRG work

Reactions: blbennett1288
Well, the feedback for the quality of the mags appears like sound advice. I’m going to keep my eyes open for a used bipod in excellent shape. At their cost they should have a case of their own. Some alternatives on the brake is the Lil Bastard which comes with the Sako threads. I’ll have to see the rail it comes with. Cheaper for a Near with
20 MOA since both scopes already have NF rings.

Congrats on your rifle, you will not be disappointed. I bought a TRG 22 in 6.5 CM last fall and it is a laser.

If you are looking at brakes/suppressors keep in mind that a gunsmith can rethread the factory M18 threads to 5/8 x 24 without shortening the barrel. This will allow you to use the more common muzzle devices.

Sold both my TRG-42 and TRG-22 to partially fund the Sako M10.

Can't get comfortable behind it prone though because my boner won't go down while I am running it, so there is that.
I'm torn between M10 or AxMC. Both seem to be absolutely fantastic options. I'm still a while off from buying either.

I'm torn between M10 or AxMC. Both seem to be absolutely fantastic options. I'm still a while off from buying either.

Hard to pick incorrectly if you buy both! Seriously though, both are built like brick shit-houses.

It really comes down to three things:

A) Support/parts (which AI wins hands-down here in the States). Not that you’ll need them, but when you do... Dealing with Beretta is a pain in the ass.

B) Barrel availability. AI wins hard, unless you buy Sako M10 barrels just to sacrifice the extensions. Long-action and short-action chamberings use the same extensions, so that’s a plus.

C) Ergonomics differences. I feel perfectly comfortable behind either though.

The M10 is damn expensive though. It’s a nice system, but not sure it’s worth the "retail" price against an AXMC. Capable of the same accuracy as any other high-end military precision rifle of course - which is spectacular.

@AIAW Just curious as I can’t afford either, how would you compare the actions and triggers on both in terms of function and preference?

I'd put them neck and neck honestly. The TRG factory trigger is probably one of the smoothest factory triggers out there, but the AI factory trigger pack is equally as tunable. Plus you do have the Competition trigger option for the AI. The fully adjustable TRG trigger shoe (rotation and position fore and aft) is a nice touch.

Actions are the same I'd say. Smooth, both 60-degree. Extraction feels nearly identical. M10 has a double ejector design. M10 utilizes barrel extensions. All AI's go into battery via a lock ring integral to the action itself. This means that AI wins the barrel contest, easy.

The M10 has a reversible bolt stop so when you run short-action cartridges the bolt throw is shortened. The short-action magazines are also the same external size for muscle memory, just with a vertical follower spacer placed inside of them. Magazines cannot be loaded through the ejection port. They must also be inserted from directly underneath the rifle, whereas the AXMC can be side-inserted.

Can't really pick a favorite honestly. They are very close, and what they do they do right. Same goes for the TRG-22/TRG-42. Outside of the eronomics/chassis differences, they feel equally "good".

I have a TRG22 in .308.I have had trouble get really comfortable behind the gun. I'm not sure if it is the LOP or what. I know most people comment that the ergonomics are wonderful. Your experience, comments, opinions.

no, i have been considering a chassis but everyone comments as to the comfort of the stock I was wondering if I missed a detail of adjustment.
If anyone has added or modified their TRG stock could you show a photo???
Thanks

@stradibarrius where you from? I would try to find a local prs event and see if you can get behind a whiskey 3 to see how you like that. I have the bravo back end on my sotic which is “similar” to a trg and the difference in my mind is quite noticeable when I have the whiskey 3 installed.

Thanks Never summer, Masterpiece Arms has a chassis I have test shot anditis really niceas well. I will see if I can find a PRS event and try a Whiskey # chassis.

The KRG trigger doesn’t hold a candle to the TRG trigger, at least the pre 2013 models. I understand the newer models are not as adjustable or can’t tune them as light as the older triggers. I’m a fan of light triggers and have my TRG 42 around a pound. Bought the KRG trigger for my tikka and sent it back. The lightened spring in the factory trigger was more appealing to me. So if looking to build a budget trg replica I would opt for getting the $10 spring and use the factory trigger over the KRG one.

That raises an interesting point - what options are out there for replacing the post-2013 trigger pack? Given folks would be fools to part with pre-2013 triggers, that would seem a difficult to find (at best) option, assuming it bolts in the same way. Other than KRG, who's making a TRG/SOTIC compatible trigger? I'll continue on with the KRG unit in my SOTIC a while longer, I imagine, but would like the option to go light at some point.

For the trg nothing to my knowledge, I’ve heard with enough effort a factory trigger can be purchased for $500+ but at this point it would most likely be a newer unit.

Thank you. Saw that on the site and interested in opinions. Any thoughts on the bipod? Seems less expensive can can do.

Thank you. Saw that on the site and interested in opinions. Any thoughts on the bipod? Seems less expensive can can do.

I use the TRG bipod - it just damn works, however on saying that some of the guys are using the Atlas with an adaptor , never looked into it as no need - if KRG made it it will be good , I have a couple of their chassis and I have the rear folding stock from them on my TRG, easy to get comfortable behind , and adjustable out the wazoo .

I wish there was a less expensive source . I sold my Sinclair bipod as I didn’t use it. I have a Harris and another I can not recall. I may have to spring for the Sako. I’m waiting on a rail from Near Manufacturing to use with my Nightforce scope and rings.

Have a TRG22 rebarreled by SAC in 6.5CM. Really love it. Way more accurate than I can shoot it.
I have the opposite opinion about the factory bipod however. It seemed clumsy to me and difficult to maneuver it tight spaces. I went with the KRG spigot and an Atlas and am much happier. To each his own ...
That said ... there is an extra factory TRG bipod and factory muzzle brake in my basement if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
This is the best out of the box rifle and it is competitive with a lot of custom builds. I sold mine about five years ago and I am now regretting it. I am thinking about buying another one. sigh...

Wanted to jump on this thread and ask for feedback and guidance on pre-2013 vs. post-2013 TRG’s. I am looking at a pre-2013 and a post-2013 both used in excellent condition. Both 26” in .308. There’s a $900 spread in price between them. I’ve researched the changes and I’d generally like to have the latest version, but almost a grand will buy a lot of ammo and maybe one or two Sako magazines (😂). Any thoughts from the group? Worth it to buy the newer version?

Wanted to jump on this thread and ask for feedback and guidance on pre-2013 vs. post-2013 TRG’s. I am looking at a pre-2013 and a post-2013 both used in excellent condition. Both 26” in .308. There’s a $900 spread in price between them. I’ve researched the changes and I’d generally like to have the latest version, but almost a grand will buy a lot of ammo and maybe one or two Sako magazines (😂). Any thoughts from the group? Worth it to buy the newer version?

I prefer the older version (I have owned both), it has a much better trigger. The new version has a limited adjustment range (can’t go as light as the old version), but people who have no clue how the trigger worked or how to adjust it messed them up. I think they would not reset after the shot was taken.

Pros and cons. I prefer the older trigger as well, just feels so much smoother, even from the factory without adjustment. The two ejector bolt is better for ejecting brass, as the single ejector system is kind of weak, and sometimes the brass doesn't clear the port, falling back in, but I've learned over time, just rack the bolt fast and firm, and then no issues arise. The new butt pad is a nice upgrade, and I swapped out, upgraded my older rifles with the new one.

But ultimately, the older one for the better trigger is the way to go.