• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sako TRG glass

Hey Yo Mick

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2014
I own a Sako TRG .308 and would like some ideas on what is the best optics for this gun and rings for a 800yd type shot.

I own a Sako TRG .308 and would like some ideas on what is the best optics for this gun and rings for a 800yd type shot.

You might want to add some details to your question. What type of shooting you are going to do primarily, budget etc etc.

You might want to add some details to your question. What type of shooting you are going to do primarily, budget etc etc.

This ^^^ or just buy a PMII 5-25 DT with the reticle of your choice then add a Spuhr mount and done.

This ^^^ or just buy a PMII 5-25 DT with the reticle of your choice then add a Spuhr mount and done.

A Sako TRG and a S&B PMII 5-25 DT? That would spoil this poor fella. If he ever had to shoot something mediocre he is going to throw rocks at it. haha

I am wanting to do long range target shooting. Price isn't a concern if it is the right scope.

While the S&B glass is great up to and past 800 yards I would consider the the Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 with Zero Stop and High Speed Turrets. If you were shooting much further than 800 yards I might consider the S&B line. I have never had any problems with the Nightforce on my TRG 22.

Last edited:

This is how I set up my TRGs. Know that if you go with one of these scopes you will want to make sure you have an inclined mount. I use the 13mil Spuhr, but for 800 yds you don't need that much.

I have a friend that is sponsored by Nightforce so that is one that I have been leaning towards. Thanks

TRG22, Spuhr 40MOA mount, S&B 5-25

P8250618_zpsd5b61ee0.jpg

XLR 4.5-30

015_zps72054bbb.jpg

Kirk, do you have any shadowing when zeroed at 100yds with that 40moa mount? I do love me some TRGs, those pics makes me miss mine...

I went kahles 6-24 gen2 msr-k. I have SB 5-25 but thought it looked better on my AI.
I also went with a spuhr direct TRG mount.

Last edited:
I have a S&B 5X25X56 on my AI. But if you read the reports on the new Vortex 4.5X27X56 they seem to be very good and at $2499 that may be worth a look. I was able to handle the Vortex and this years shot show and liked what I saw.

I have the 5.5-22 NXS in Seekins rings with a Near base. I can't say it's THE BEST out there, but it certainly works well for the intended purpose and the size fits the rifle nicely.

If you can get behind a few that would be my recommendation. If money is no issue it's hard to beat a S&B 5-25. I have one and it will ruin you when you look through most other optics. For the money I believe a the NF NXS or ATACR is hard to beat. You'll get a MILLION different answers but generally most guys will say S&B, Vortex HD, Hensdolt, etc. Check the optics section and you might catch a deal.