• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG-S M995 in 30-378

ddubas

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2007
Sidney,NE
I think I found a deal on a used one. Looks clean. Not much if any brass marks on the bolt face. Barrel looks clean and the ports on the muzzel break are clean. Either the previous owner cleaned the crap out of it or it wasn't shot much. The only issue I see is they cut the barrle off at 24in and added a break. I know the factory barrel should be 26in. But for the price I think I have a good starting point for my next build. From what I have found nothing wrong with a Sako action and the stock is ok. I know I would be very limited for calibers that would fit that bolt face. But I'm looking for a larger caliber to add to my collection. By the way with tax I'm out the door for under $600. Your thoughts.......

Re: Sako TRG-S M995 in 30-378

Good rifles to build off of. KRG just started supporting those actions in their chassis. That's a really good price too. With that bolt face you can go with a .338 or similar build. If you want to do something smaller you can get the correct bolt face size from Brownells as well as mags to fit it. You can also use TRG42 mags and AICS mags in it but they will need to be notched to lock in properly.

Only folks making bases for it that I can find are Murphy and Near.

Also, I have an extra 13.5mm bolt I'd be willing to part with if you decide to build a smaller caliber. And again, Brownells has all 3 size in stock.

Hit me up if you have any more questions on that thing.

L

edt: BTW, I have 2 I'm doing custom builds with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Time to pay it forward, Layton! </div></div>

Yeppers. My turn.
eek.gif

L

Layton if you have some pics of your builds based on that action I would like to see them. Thanks for the advice.

Don't have any pics yet. They are still sitting at the smith waiting in line. I'm putting one in an A3 and another in a Whiskey 3. Actually may end up one of each for both. Shouldn't be too much longer now though and I'll post pics.

They are basically a stripped down TRG42. Receivers are a little different and the triggers are different but the parts are interchangeable for the most part. Mags catch at the back instead of the front but like I said you can just notch the TRG42 mags and they work fine.

Another cool thing is that Sako triggers from recent rifles are interchangeable. The only thing is that some have a safety cutout and some don't. The TRG42 doesn't, so you can't use a T3 trigger with a TRG42 unless you cut off the safety or relieve the action. The 995 has this relief cut.

If you are going to restock it take a serious look at KRGs Whiskey 3. I just got my email today that they are in stock. At this point finding bottom metal for them is next to impossible so that may be your only/best route anyway.

Glock up there has one he did a build on and has some pics of a couple of others. He helped me tremendously as did Massoul.

L

And another cool thing is they are cheap donor rifles you can turn into something on par if not better than a TRG42. IMHO that is.

L

I jumped on the m995 train as well but have nothing to show for it yet.
frown.gif
work has been crazy!

Mines in a 30-06, for now that's what it will stay. I have been considering making my own bottom medal base off the surgeon I have for a Remington as soon as work slows down. If I go that route I'm going to get my hands on a McMillan L/A and try to make it work.... Or I'll safe myself the bother and get the whiskey 3 also. I still haven't even decided what to do about a rail..

Im looking forward to starting this project!

I know where there are at least 2 more bottoms when you start looking.

L

New to the Forum....just 3 days of reading posts and the info available here is very informative and interesting.
I just found a used Sako TRG-S (599) factory stock rifle in 30-378 Wby at a local gunshop and thought I'd snap it up as I know these are no longer available.....sounds like a fantastic long distance round. Got a couple of questions......

1) Can anyone estimate what level of accuracy I can expect from the factory setup? Rifle has a relatively light profile bbl with factory threaded muzzle brake (brake is same OD as the barrel at the point of attachment).
2) How much can that factory accuracy be improved with action work and factory bbl? (estimate in MOA)
3) How much can that factory accuracy be improved with action work and a premium bbl?
4) How much would it generally cost me to have the work noted in #3 above (action work and premium bbl) done?
5) If anyone has worked up good loads for long-distance accuracy (approx 1000 yds), what is a good place to start for handloading? (powder type, amount, bullet type and weight) and what level of accuracy was obtained with what equipment (stock or premium bbl, action enhancements, etc.)

Thanks for any thoughts....looks like I'll be hanging around this sight for a while....some really good info.

By the way, P.T. & G is now making bottom metal sets for the TRG-S rifles, and they use the factory magazines. We are also carrying some in stock here at McMillans, and will be again offering our TRG-S sporting stock and some of our tactical stocks for these rifles.

Also first time poster... long time reader* Definitely an excellent forum.

Regards to that TRG-S, it's an excellent action. And very accurate. Handloads always will bring out the "best" when you find the barrels sweet-spot. Mine (when it wore the factory barrel) shot 1moa or so with factory loads.. but easily under 1/2 minute with handloads.. Factory stock at that time, no bedding or anything. (NOW..) I've since shot that barrel out/gone to a Krieger, changed stocks/bedded, etc etc with handloads I'm seeing consistent 1/4 or less groups... it's almost amazing. My personal best (@200y, not 100) is an honest 1/4" ! I myself didn't think I could shoot that good, but have so repeatedly since I've had the upgrades done. Brass prep, seating-depth, bullet tension.. the whole bit plays it's part in doing that (but that match barrel with good gunsmithing is the icing) If you put your time in to learn what to load in that rifle, you will be rewarded. Far as cost goes to do these upgrades, I'm sure many will tell you it's more than the rifle is worth... cuz it costs a few bucks. Barrel runs in the $5/600 range, stock/bottom metal also $600-ish together, chambering fees, brake install, add rail (sako dovetails piss-poor) paint (stock) Cerakote metals (if you wish) ...it doesn't take long to add up and put a guy in the $2000+ range* In my opinion though, go for it.. I wouldn't trade mine for gold. Wish I had another one. However, others will say it ain't worth it.. your call in the end

Once done though, the rifle will impress* No question about it.

Thanks to all

Also first time poster... long time reader* Definitely an excellent forum.

Regards to that TRG-S, it's an excellent action. And very accurate. Handloads always will bring out the "best" when you find the barrels sweet-spot. Mine (when it wore the factory barrel) shot 1moa or so with factory loads.. but easily under 1/2 minute with handloads.. Factory stock at that time, no bedding or anything. (NOW..) I've since shot that barrel out/gone to a Krieger, changed stocks/bedded, etc etc with handloads I'm seeing consistent 1/4 or less groups... it's almost amazing. My personal best (@200y, not 100) is an honest 1/4" ! I myself didn't think I could shoot that good, but have so repeatedly since I've had the upgrades done. Brass prep, seating-depth, bullet tension.. the whole bit plays it's part in doing that (but that match barrel with good gunsmithing is the icing) If you put your time in to learn what to load in that rifle, you will be rewarded. Far as cost goes to do these upgrades, I'm sure many will tell you it's more than the rifle is worth... cuz it costs a few bucks. Barrel runs in the $5/600 range, stock/bottom metal also $600-ish together, chambering fees, brake install, add rail (sako dovetails piss-poor) paint (stock) Cerakote metals (if you wish) ...it doesn't take long to add up and put a guy in the $2000+ range* In my opinion though, go for it.. I wouldn't trade mine for gold. Wish I had another one. However, others will say it ain't worth it.. your call in the end

Once done though, the rifle will impress* No question about it.

Thanks to everyone with the replies and good info......never had this type of long-range caliber before and really getting pumped up to shoot the factory rifle (still in lay-away for another month or so) and to have some fun working through some custom additions to improve the performance as many of you have done.

Rooster721......Thanks for all the good info and background......just further feeds the obsession!!!!

BTW....Glock24.....love the pics of your rifles. We may need to get together later on to discuss your experiences with this caliber in your beautiful TRG-S's that you show. I live in Grand Blanc, MI and work in Saginaw.....looks like you're in mid-west Michigan.....probably within easy travel time.

Keep the great info coming.....great forum.