• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sako TRG22 or custom?

Dynamite

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2009
Okieland
I had thought about getting a custom rifle made using a custom action based on the Rem 700. My budget would be around $2400-$2600, and I had almost decided on going with a McMillan A5, Bartlein barrel, and Surgeon action.

Then I was told to check out the Sako TRG-22. After googling around, it seems that this rifle ($2600ish) has no weakness. Seems that it does everything really well, and I haven't seen a negative review of it. The only negative I can think of... is the accessories are ridiculously expensive. $200+ for another magazine is ludicrous.

Anyways, what do you guys think I should go for?

Re: Sako TRG22 or custom?

See if you can find a TRG to handle in your area. As with any rifle, the stock isn't for everyone. The great thing about the custom is you can find a stock that fits you right and suits your needs.

As for an eval of the TRG, they are great rifles with expensive scope mounts, bipods, and magazines. I have shot 2 of them and both were under MOA accurate. IMHO, the custom is a better buy.

I was considering a new Accuracy International AE for about $2900 from Tac Pro Shooting Center in Mingus, TX. I've owned a TRG-42 in the past and prefer the AI "chassis" to the Sako stock. It's a little more money than you have available now, but check out the AIAE. I wound up buying an AIAW instead, but that was because I sold some equipment to be able to afford it.

Another suggestion is to wait for a used GA Precision Crusader or Rock rifle. There is a GAP 260Rem Crusader with the Templar action in the Firearms for Sale section for $2750 - a great price.

I have a TRG 42 .300 Win mag and love it. You don't have to used the Sako accessories. I have a warne 20 MOA base that I got from SWFA and I am using Mark 4 rings. Since it's a TRG 22 you wouldn't need a muzzle break and you can use a Harris bipod. These rifle don't leave the factory unless they shoot .5 MOA and they shoot better than that. Here's the thing if nobody has them in stock you can wait for 6 months, so it could take as long as a custom to get and a custom rifle can be anything you want. I would say if someone has it in stock go for it. If not get a custom build.

Jamie

In this economy you can get a GAP or similar custom with a few rounds on it for the same or less than a TRG. One just sold off this board in .308 for $2200 shipped and there are similar deals every week. AG

I bought a TRG42 and liked it so much I bought a TRG 22.

Based on how mine shoot, I doubt if any custom gun in my hands would do any better. I have shot a 3/4 inch group at 300 yards with the 308. I have shot 15 1/2 inch dots in a row at 100 yards with the 308. (A pic of the target is on the Marksmanship section of the forum) My 12 year old son hit 3 inch targets at 600 yards with the TRG 22.

Virtually every load I have shot through the TRG is sub MOA.

The TRG22 I picked up a while back will shoot very well. It has a great trigger and fits me very well. It will make lots of Xs at 600. We won't even talk about the style points that come with a TRG. I also have a few other factory 308s that do very well, the FN SPR for one and a CDNN PBR parts gun that is really accurate. But there is no denying that a full blown custom made to order is a thing of beauty. It may take a while to figure out exactly what you want and you will have to shoot a few different guns before you really know. With that being said my TRG22 will be one of the last to go!!

I don't want to thread jack, but i do have a question on the TRG as well. I was wondering if it handled cold weather well, like the AI AW(like -40). I have looked around but haven't heard anything about this. Sorry if this seems stupid but i am new to Sako rifles, and wanted to learn more before i decide to get this.

Scar

The TRG seems to be a cool option. From what I hear, you will choke on the accessories....

I would recommend you consider an AIAE Mk 2

Whittakers always has TRG's in stock.

http://whittakerguns.com/

6976 West Louisville Lane
Owensboro KY, 42301
Phone: 270-229-0140
Fax : 270-229-9139
Normal business hours:
Mon-Sat: 8am - 6pm
Sun: CLOSED
Holiday Hours: 8am - 4pm
Central Standard Time

Whittakers is where I got mine from their good people. Euro optics also has been very helpful and has alot of guns on hand. I would look hard at the TRG 22 or the AE mkII over a custom build. The rifle(over .22 cal) I love to shoot the most is my TRG 22.

Dynamite,

Like you, I was about to order a custom rifle until I was told I would have to get in line and wait 6-9 months.

Instead, I bought a TRG-22 + TRG 3 ring tac mount + TRG bipod + 3-15 NXS. Loaded some 155 Scenars and shot 30 consecutive rnds into 1/2" @ 100m during load development.

Expensive? Yes. Good value? Absolutely!!

Go with the TRG and don't look back. Got mine shipped from Euro Optics for $2500. Don't go with any of the Sako accesories. They are way over priced. Especially the bipod. Go with an Atlas. This gun will shoot as good or better than any custom out there. Depending on where you live, it could be in your hands in a day or two.... Unlike 6-9 months for a custom. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like buying anything used when you're dealing with this sort of thing... You just never know. It's also not picky of which load you use. It has shot sub MOA with every round I've put through it. I'm sold on Sako. My next one will be a TRG42.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scar527</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want to thread jack, but i do have a question on the TRG as well. I was wondering if it handled cold weather well, like the AI AW(like -40). I have looked around but haven't heard anything about this. Sorry if this seems stupid but i am new to Sako rifles, and wanted to learn more before i decide to get this.

Scar </div></div>

They are in use in the Swiss Army as well, up in tose mountains its very cold and being a shooters nation i guess they know what their doing
wink.gif

If you are thinking about a TRG 22, then you owe it to yourself to shoot Slug a note.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1360944#Post1360944

He is selling a TRG and accessories for a STEAL. While the accessories are expensive, the TRG bipod is, IMO, the BEST bipod made. You will understand why the first time you use it.

Athough this is a used rifle, Slug takes GREAT care of his gear and is without question, one of the REALLY good guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scar527</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want to thread jack, but i do have a question on the TRG as well. I was wondering if it handled cold weather well, like the AI AW(like -40). I have looked around but haven't heard anything about this. Sorry if this seems stupid but i am new to Sako rifles, and wanted to learn more before i decide to get this.

Scar </div></div>

All Sakos (including TRGs) are built for arctic enviroment/cold winter usage.
Have shot my TRG42 several times below zero F, and few times in lot colder. I think lowest is around -25F.
Coldest in Finland during wintertime are typically around -40F.

F.e. plastic in trigger is not there accidentally- try holding finger on very cold iron trigger for a while.

.308shooter said it. Get it and don't look back. I traded with a buddy to get my 42 and when I can I will have a 22 even though I'll probably keep my savage 308(It's atack driver too). I like the feel of the TRG but hey that's why they make all kinds, find what you like and shoot!

Easy choice

TRG = Built from the ground up as a full on military sniper rifle, mega accurate and Tonka toy tough
Remmy Custom = Accurate, customizable tricked up hunting rifle

Get A TRG and dont look back.
And before everybody in America who owns a Remmy custom jumps on me, I have both.

The TRG will hold its value better than a custom. As stated before, you can get aftermarket equipment for everything except the magazine (that should change shortly). If you like traditional style stocks like the McMillan A series then you will feel at home behind the TRG. Whenever I shot an AI, I always placed my thumb down the side because it felt extremely odd to me.

That does not go for all thumbholes. Terry Cross' Sentinel stock feels wonderful. Not sure why there is such a big difference, but it is the only thumbhole that I enjoy shooting.

The TRG is a Sniper Rifle. It was built from the ground up for that purpose. If you "choke" on the accessories, you are going to choke with AI as well. Sorry fellas, if you are purchasing a 2-3K rifle it should not be as big an issue. Lastly, the accessories that are made by each corporation - Sako or AI - are expensive. You can go aftermarket and be just fine. That is what many AI shooters do, although they are really quick to point out the "fiscal irresponsibility" of buying a TRG.

The TRG and AI are equals for durability, reliability, precision, etc. Pick the one you like best. Either will be more robust platforms than a custom.

Josh

put nicely MD, if i was buying a 308 or 300wm,338 lapua it would be a trg, however the benifit for me of the custom is the caliber choices. you could rebarrel a trg also though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">put nicely MD, if i was buying a 308 or 300wm,338 lapua it would be a trg, however the benifit for me of the custom is the caliber choices. you could rebarrel a trg also though. </div></div>

This is true. Euro Optics will be doing a buy on TRG-22s in 260 rem. I think mine is headed for a rebarrel in 243. On that note...Kinteic Research Group (KRG) is doing a run on action wrenches sometime this winter. That will solve many caliber issues. I do wish they would offer more from the factory.

Josh

Since this thread is almost a year old, what did OP settle on?? lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moose72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since this thread is almost a year old, what did OP settle on?? lol </div></div>

Wow...I didn't even see Fuscalino had resurrected a thread that old. I wondered how I had missed it when I saw it sitting on the first page.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moose72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since this thread is almost a year old, what did OP settle on?? lol </div></div>

Wow...I didn't even see Fuscalino had resurrected a thread that old. I wondered how I had missed it when I saw it sitting on the first page.

Josh</div></div>
ooops i never checked myself, came at it through a TRG google search

If you load a TRG 22 with rounds close to the lands, will they still fit in the magazine? How long a round will fit in the TRG 22 magazine?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you load a TRG 22 with rounds close to the lands, will they still fit in the magazine? How long a round will fit in the TRG 22 magazine? </div></div>

2.95" is mag length. No one can tell you what the unique throat length will be in your rifle. That is what gauges are for.

Josh

I have a TRG and a number of other 308's. I have also owned and gotten rid of alot of various 308's. But the TRG just seems easy to shoot well. Many of the other rifles I had were the equal of the TRG in terms of possible mechanical accuracy (.3-.4moa with good ammo). But the TRG just seems easier to shoot well. Almost everyone else who has shot it, likes the ergonomics of the rifle.

I know this is off topic. Does anybody know who sale sako adjustable cheek riser and adjustable butt pad. I'm talking about the one with thumb wheel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this is off topic. Does anybody know who sale sako adjustable cheek riser and adjustable butt pad. I'm talking about the one with thumb wheel.
</div></div>

You mean this one right:
19092008047.jpg

Not really adjustable but you can specify which height you want and he will make one
smile.gif

And this is the guy who makes them: Terje338

I have Terje's kit on my rifle also! It is really nice!

Lill I like the butt spike!

Not my rifle, I just found it in one of the TRG threads, but here is a picture of mine and I also do use Terjes kit:
IMG_1001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a TRG and a number of other 308's. I have also owned and gotten rid of alot of various 308's. But the TRG just seems easy to shoot well. Many of the other rifles I had were the equal of the TRG in terms of possible mechanical accuracy (.3-.4moa with good ammo). But the TRG just seems easier to shoot well. Almost everyone else who has shot it, likes the ergonomics of the rifle. </div></div>

+100

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lill-rambo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this is off topic. Does anybody know who sale sako adjustable cheek riser and adjustable butt pad. I'm talking about the one with thumb wheel.
</div></div>

You mean this one right:
19092008047.jpg

Not really adjustable but you can specify which height you want and he will make one
smile.gif

And this is the guy who makes them: Terje338 </div></div>

Yeah, thanks for the info Lill-Rambo