• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAKO TRG22 or Steyr SSG 08

snipe10

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Colorado
Alright, I'm thinking of picking up a new bolt gun in 308. I don't want to wait for a GAP or anything so I'm looking for something I can buy right away. I'm looking at these two, I know parts for the Steyr are tough to come by but what do ya think?
Will be used for long range shooting, no competition, just fun.

Re: SAKO TRG22 or Steyr SSG 08

I had a feeling but have no experience so wanted to ask, can you elaborate?
thanks,

I have not been behind the SSG 08, but they look to me to be lacking in several areas. First I am not a fan of the stock and mag system especially the mag release. I would have to say based on the ssg69's I have owned the barreled action would be OK. But you are compairing the Steyr with one of the BEST rifles out there custom or not. Based on my experience with my TRG and shooting over 4k rounds through it and being able to directly compair it with custom rifles built on Remington 700's & 40x's and Surgeon 591's by the BEST smiths out there with Huber triggers and Mcmillan stocks I take my TRG every time. It shoots as good as any of the many other customs I have owned (even better at times), has a better trigger (even though the Huber is the best "Remington pattern" and it is very nice) not to mention the shoe is adjustable in any direction, the safety is in the best location and is easier to use than any other, the stock is as adjustable if not more than any other option. The TRG's are as reliable and rugged as any other system out there. In short I highly recomend the TRG I know its not for everyone but you would have to be damn picky to find something you dont like about them. I think you will find as you do this research the TRG will blow the Steyr out of the water. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks much, I thought the TRG was the way to go but a shop near me has a killer deal on an SSG an he'll trade which I guess, explains why.

I just picked up a TRG-22 and it is by far one of the nicest and most well built guns that I have ever handled. The action is smooth as glass and the trigger is amazing. You won't be disappointed.

I would pass on the SSG and get the TRG, much better platform and a proven shooter time and time again.
Just my 2 cents

308 cause it's everywhere and Eurooptic's doesn't have any 260's. 338 is too expensive, emailed Eurooptic's today and will have it by next week,

was going to get dark earth but they're all gone, now I have to decide between green and black, anyone have any pics or had both?

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BX1129</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TRG. There is no advantage offered by the SSG over the TRG. </div></div>

True, lots more TRG support and parts out there, maybe 10X+ more TRG's than SSG 08's in the US. Most here have, or have shot TRG's and love them. Also way better marketing and distribution than Steyr.

I have 2- SSG 08's and totally love them, awesome rifles as far as I am concerned.

If you really want an unbiased opinion, call EuroOptic and talk to them, they sell both rifles.

My .02 anyway.