• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Salary question

Gee LeDouche

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2010
So.. I recently started a new job about a month ago. When I went to the interview I was offered the job (verbally) at a certain amount of money for my hourly wage, then an additional amount for the differential wage for working graves and swings and weekends. I was tickled pink with the amounts becuase it was more than I had been making at a previous job that was reasonably well paying. anyways. to make a long story short, I just started working my regular graveyard shift (which is the shift I was hired for) and I got my first check with the differential money on it and its 25% less than what they said it would be in the interview. I went to H.R. and asked them about it and they said that I should be getting my differential money I was offered in my interview and that they would look into it. Long story short, what should I do about this? Is this legal that a company can promise one amount then pay another amount after I'm all settled into the new job? Who else do I talk to about this if my HR doesnt do anything about it? I'm pretty sure I'm going to get boned on this and just get stuck with the 25% less differential money and this is a decent job. I guess I am looking for some suggestions or ideas of what I can do. I dont really want to threaten to leave if they dont make it right, but if I dont do anything about it I'm affraid they will just take advantage of me again. what should I do guys?

The Gee

Re: Salary question

Shoulda asked for everything in writing, a copy of your contract signed by both parties should have been requested after your verbal hire.

Your title says salary, but your question is about hourly wages.
Were you hired as a salaried worker or as an hourly employee?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your title says salary, but your question is about hourly wages.
Were you hired as a salaried worker or as an hourly employee? </div></div>

+1 Please clarify. It does make a difference.

Your only real option if HR bones you is to go to the <span style="font-weight: bold">EEOC Wage and Hour Division</span> and plead your case. If you're in a an "at-will" state you're probably going to get canned if you make too many waves and you won't have any recourse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GeeLeDouche</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I dont really want to threaten to leave if they dont make it right, but if I dont do anything about it I'm affraid they will just take advantage of me again. what should I do guys?

The Gee </div></div>

Contact directly the person who offered the wage. Could be that it was an honest mistake. Could be that he made an offer that he is not authorized to make. Could be that he is just trying to screw you. Talking to him directly, face to face if possible, should give you better insight.

Dude it's your first check, if HR doesn't fix it on your next check go to the person who hired you and politely ask if there was a misunderstanding about wages. I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation. If not you make the decision whether you want to stay or go.

By the way I hire many people and mistakes are made so give them a chance to fix it. Then go to the person who hired you and speak politely with him. Reason I keep mentioning politely is that if you come into my office and threaten me It will be your last words spoken as an employee.

Good companies don't get to be good companies by screwing their employees!!! Good companies recognize the value of good employees, and employees should also acknowledge the value of good companies.

Somewhere along the line as in many other things, That has gotten screwed up!!!

When you go the individual who gave you those figures in the interview, you better have the amounts in front of you so you don't get confused or trip up. Try to not put them on the defensive with an onslaught of accusations but let them explain why their is a difference and account for it.
After that you basically have a choice if they don't make it right. Either take a hike straight to the EEOC Wage Board, or suck it up and be the patsy they think you are since they rolled over you once and got away with it
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your only real option if HR bones you is to go to the <span style="font-weight: bold">EEOC Wage and Hour Division</span> and plead your case. If you're in a an "at-will" state you're probably going to get canned if you make too many waves and you won't have any recourse.</div></div>

Termination do to an EEOC claim would open the door for a retaliation claim.

First of all EEOC won't entertain a "he said she said" issue unless it was in writing or there was witness that original promise was broken.

If I were you in this economy I'd work and get a paycheck. Lots of my peeps aren't getting a 40hr week and pretty soon I'll have to make more cuts. How's that "change" working for you.

Never have I seen or signed a contract when working for a company. I'm under the assumption that's make believe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never have I seen or signed a contract when working for a company. I'm under the assumption that's make believe. </div></div>

Seriously? I have a contract, not guaranteed for any specific term, that spells out my pay and benefits as well as duties.

not referring to contract, many companies present written offers to employees. I have personally done it many times. Employment contracts are a different animal than what is being talked about here.

And they are not make believe and depending on what state u live in very enforceable or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GeeLeDouche</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I got my first check with the differential money on it and its 25% less than what they said it would be in the interview. I went to H.R. and asked them about it and they said that I should be getting my differential money I was offered in my interview and that they would look into it.
</div></div>

What you fail to mention is how long ago did you talk to HR? If it was the last 3 days then you're overreacting, but if you asked them about it 3 weeks ago then they should have resolved it by now.

How big is the company?? How many employees??

How many other employees do the same job you do??

How valuable of an employee are you??

Can you be replaced tomorrow??

Were you recruited?? Or just hired from many applications??

These are the important questions. So in other words do you have any leverage here??

Can you afford to walk away if you do not get what you may or not be willing to stand up for??

I worked in sales all my life. So I worked on commission. And when I started a job I demanded my compensation in writing. And I would only work if I got what I wanted. I walked away from several jobs, but I could afford it. I always went to work somewhere else the next day beause I was good at what I did. Are you??

I developed a reputation. So I could demand this. Can you say this?? Tom.

Wait and see what HR does. Like someone mentioned it could just be a mistake. If they can't/don't fix it then I would ask my immediate supervisor to look into the situation. In other words I wouldn't break the chain of command or go over anyone's head. That can really rub folks the wrong way. If you plan on staying, a pissed off middle management type with his panties in a bunch can cause problems for you later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your only real option if HR bones you is to go to the <span style="font-weight: bold">EEOC Wage and Hour Division</span> and plead your case. If you're in a an "at-will" state you're probably going to get canned if you make too many waves and you won't have any recourse.</div></div>

Termination do to an EEOC claim would open the door for a retaliation claim. </div></div>

Yep been there done that and won. Former HR manager tried to fire me over an FMLA claim after I was hit by a drunk driver. Long story short; I went to EEOC, she got fired and the company got a full federal audit. I kept my job.

To the OP: the EEOC wage and hour division is where you go if you have a dispute with a current employee who either didn't pay you or screwed up your pay.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dagsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First of all EEOC won't entertain a "he said she said" issue unless it was in writing or there was witness that original promise was broken. </div></div>

Wrong. If that were the case the EEOC would only cater to employees with written contractually based pay and as such would only cover what, 10-15% of Americans? I've done it, have you? Call them up and see for yourself.

The EEOC is a federal group designed to protect employees from this exact type of problem.

I would find it strange if there's nothing in your hiring package that mentions how and how much you are being compensated with your signature on it. Everywhere that I have ever worked I have had to sign an employment agreement that basically spells out that I agree to do the job I am being hired for and the company is going to pay me x amount hourly/salary/commission. Ask HR for a copy of your employment agreement and read what you signed. From the sounds of it this was your first paycheck from working for this company, if so it's not that uncommon for your first check to get screwed up. You may begin in the middle of the pay period when paychecks are sent biweekly, etc. Your hiring manager may have offered you more than "standard" starting wages due to experience or because he thought you were worth it, who knows, and HR just didn't get the memo. I assume that since there is an HR department this isn't a small mom and pop operation, sometimes it takes time to get these things corrected in situations like this. I'd start by asking HR for a copy of your employment agreement and talking with the person who offered you the job. If they end up trying to shaft you after that, go to work with a smile and seek employment elsewhere.

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it! to answer some of your questions, yes it is hourly, sorry if I confused you. I didnt know how to make a "I got screwed on my paycheck" thread look interesting to read. This wasnt my first paycheck from this company, but it WAS the first check I recieved that had my differential pay on it because I was on day shift for training for about a month before I started my regular shift of Graveyards. When I spoke with HR it was tuesday morning and now its friday and I still havent heard a peep about it yet. I figure I'll give it till monday or tuesday of this next week, then look at getting back in touch with them about it. I understand that mistakes happen, but I took this job becuase of the pay I understood I would be recieving and now I'm not getting what I was offered/promised. I'm pretty sure that they will come back and tell me "oh, sorry we must have mad a mistake by telling you it was a higher rate than it really is" if they bother to tell me anything at all. thanks for the help all the same. I appreciate it.

Gee

I wonder if the OP will ever find his way back to this thread?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if the OP will ever find his way back to this thread? </div></div>

your shittin me right? lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GeeLeDouche</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if the OP will ever find his way back to this thread? </div></div>

your shittin me right? lol. </div></div>

You guys posted at exactly the same time so there was no way he saw your reply.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GeeLeDouche</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it! to answer some of your questions, yes it is hourly, sorry if I confused you. I didnt know how to make a "I got screwed on my paycheck" thread look interesting to read. This wasnt my first paycheck from this company, but it WAS the first check I recieved that had my differential pay on it because I was on day shift for training for about a month before I started my regular shift of Graveyards. When I spoke with HR it was tuesday morning and now its friday and I still havent heard a peep about it yet. I figure I'll give it till monday or tuesday of this next week, then look at getting back in touch with them about it. I understand that mistakes happen, but I took this job becuase of the pay I understood I would be recieving and now I'm not getting what I was offered/promised. I'm pretty sure that they will come back and tell me "oh, sorry we must have mad a mistake by telling you it was a higher rate than it really is" if they bother to tell me anything at all. thanks for the help all the same. I appreciate it.

Gee</div></div> Have you asked anyone else that works that shift with you what they are getting for differencial. It sounds like HR just kept paying you like you were on daylight shift, maybe they didn't know you were on midnights?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GeeLeDouche</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if the OP will ever find his way back to this thread? </div></div>

your shittin me right? lol. </div></div>

You guys posted at exactly the same time so there was no way he saw your reply. </div></div>

My bad. lol. I just thought it was funny.

Gee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR-WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoulda asked for everything in writing, a copy of your contract signed by both parties should have been requested after your verbal hire. </div></div>

+1

I get everything in writing, just like I don't give notice at one job until I have an offer letter from another.

If I am told hey we will give you a raise in 1 month, I ask for that in writing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SofaKing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Burn the building down!
office-space.jpg
</div></div>

+1 !! lol

I love my company but when I took an engineering job and left the help desk my work load tripled - my experience got the ball rolling so the US Navy could use their training computers (Aircraft squadrons).

SO we met the deadline, busted butt, sent servers to Iraq and Afghanistan in IED proof cases etc....got awards.

Asked the boss why I made $5 an hour less than everyone, it was a "Lateral" transfer.

SO I went looking for a new job, gave my boss all the backup material and told him I'd probably be leaving in a few weeks.

Fought tooth and nail for a $3 raise with a promise of a 5% raise.

Yeah $2.50 later and 2% later....

Get it in WRITING or assume the worst.

EDITED: I still love my company and job - make that clear, my 6 mile commute and feel like I'm part of something bigger (I am) - and I am VERY happy just to have a secure decent paying job.

I've seen a lot of people out of work in my county, and I'm an IT guy so the IT jobs are in Seattle with the 5 hour commute...No thanks...

Sometimes it's better to bite your tongue and be happy, as long as you are not being ripped off.