• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Salient Arms International

Scotty22

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
Katy, Texas USA
Has anyone ever heard of Saliant Arms International or have any feed back on them. I tried calling them to inquire about there custom slide work and barrel work but cant seem to get a hold of them. There work looks pretty good. Would be interested in cost. Here is a few pics of there work.

vrq68m.jpg

28v7hy1.jpg

317gkfk.jpg

19xxy1.jpg

They are spendy. Be prepared. A full on Glock Tier One package is around $1,800 (on your Glock).

I have a benelli M2 on order from them. 6 weeks into an 8-12 week wait.

They make some pretty expensive modifications to several different weapon platforms. However, they have screwed over a lot of people/businesses in the firearms industry over the years as a lot of pieces/ parts in their builds were actually made/provided by those individuals. As nice as some of their builds are and known people who use/endorse them, they have gotten there by screwing over some good people along the way. Initially, I thought it was an isolated case but at SHOT I spoke to several others in the industry who had similar stories and nothing good to say about the proprietors of that company.

Some of their guns do look good but they still havent managed to get a professional website up and their price lists seem to be hard to find. I might be more interested if they made more of an effort to make themselves accesible.

Well I emailed them about there slides and barrels and the only response I got was that they are not offering slide work alone at this time. I really just wanted to order one of there custom slides and barrels but I guess you cant do that.

I have looked into Zev they have some very nice modifications as well.

Zev is the way to go with glocks. Have 3 builds with them. Great people.

I saw their work on Costa's Glock, I am not normally into fancy glocks, but their slide cuts look really good.

I can't see any reason other than cosmetics that someone would want all these slide windows etc to their gun, in fact if anything I would think it would potentially open the door for some problems. If you're willing to spend that much purely on aesthetics go buy an armani suit. Absolutely nothing their glocks will do that a factory one won't for 1/5th the price.

They are for the competition crowd, mostly. Taran Butler was working with them, but I believe they severed ties and he does his own stuff now.

Funny to see someone on Sniper's Hide poo-pooing a custom gun as unnecessary.

They are for the competition crowd, mostly. Taran Butler was working with them, but I believe they severed ties and he does his own stuff now.

Care to elaborate on how exactly this "custom" gun enhances performance?

Care to elaborate on how exactly this "custom" gun enhances performance?

Sure. When we're talking about B-Class IPSC/3-Gun/Steel Challenge shooters and above, people who shoot custom loads tailored to their shooting style, the lightening of the slide and tuned springs mean quicker reset times with less muzzle flip allowing them to have their dot sights (IPSC pioneered their use on guns) track the target more quickly. This is a place where hundredths of a second can make or break you in the money standings. It mostly enhances the shooters performance at the upper levels of competition.

For the average user pounding out WWB, they probably won't seen much of a difference except in the trigger and their confidence level.

I'm looking at it from a different perspective, I don't shoot competition so from my perspective I am thinking of the slide getting knocked out of battery, shit getting stuck inside all those fancy cuts or snagging on something, etc. I'm not qualified to speak on anything competition oriented, however when I look at Dave Sevigny and the like I don't see them shooting these things. Seems ridiculously priced for what you are getting.

I'm looking at it from a different perspective, I don't shoot competition so from my perspective I am thinking of the slide getting knocked out of battery, shit getting stuck inside all those fancy cuts or snagging on something, etc. I'm not qualified to speak on anything competition oriented, however when I look at Dave Sevigny and the like I don't see them shooting these things. Seems ridiculously priced for what you are getting.

Dave simply shoots in a different division than others. Look at his times vs. the Unlimited guys. That time difference is what this kind of work (and money) buys you. Used to be a time when that's what it took to make a 1911 work with anything other than 230 ball.

And that's more to my comment, snarky though it was, about poo-pooing custom work. There are a tons of guys here on the 'Hide getting custom work done on their guns (myself included), where 'performance' isn't the only thing to get out of a 'smith. It's pride of ownership and confidence in process. Most folk could go get a Tikka or Savage or 700 or M70 and a box of ammo and call it good. Me? I don't think I have a gun I haven't done something to to make it my own. That includes that Glocks I've owned.

Hi guys - Long time lurker on Snipers Hide and wanted to weight in, take that for what its worth.

Well I emailed them about there slides and barrels and the only response I got was that they are not offering slide work alone at this time. I really just wanted to order one of there custom slides and barrels but I guess you cant do that.

I have looked into Zev they have some very nice modifications as well.

I would reach out to them directly through Facebook they are very responsive on there and can answer any questions you might have.

Quality always costs in my opinion. I always follow the one and done thought - just get the pain out of the way. From a business perspective think about all the equipment that is required to put these together: milling slides, laser etching, and not to mention the staff to run said machines (that adds up). This is all being done by a professional gun smithing operation that has to put a good amount of build time into each of their guns they work on. I have seen this issue of: wouldnt dirt a grim get into the slide and cause a malfunction, aren't you just inviting disaster with that kind of stuff? What about the Baretta M9? Pretty sure there is some crazy slide lightening going on there.

Sure. When we're talking about B-Class IPSC/3-Gun/Steel Challenge shooters and above, people who shoot custom loads tailored to their shooting style, the lightening of the slide and tuned springs mean quicker reset times with less muzzle flip allowing them to have their dot sights (IPSC pioneered their use on guns) track the target more quickly. This is a place where hundredths of a second can make or break you in the money standings. It mostly enhances the shooters performance at the upper levels of competition.

For the average user pounding out WWB, they probably won't seen much of a difference except in the trigger and their confidence level.

Plus just like cars - some people people want to seperate their Glock, S&W, Springfield apart from the masses.

I can't see any reason other than cosmetics that someone would want all these slide windows etc to their gun, in fact if anything I would think it would potentially open the door for some problems. If you're willing to spend that much purely on aesthetics go buy an armani suit. Absolutely nothing their glocks will do that a factory one won't for 1/5th the price.

Pretty sure Stock Glocks don't come with match barrels.. Like anything there is always room for improvement and that is what Salient has done with their Tier packages. The issue with the windows isn't really a valid point seeing that these guns have been torture tested by Jason Falla of Red Back One, Chris Costa, and Kyle Lamb of Viking Tactical. Not to mention Salient didn't invite the idea of window cutting or slide lightening - look at the Barreta M9 that has seen service for a very long time and used in many different theaters.

Some of their guns do look good but they still havent managed to get a professional website up and their price lists seem to be hard to find. I might be more interested if they made more of an effort to make themselves accesible.

Reach out to them on Facebook and they can get a you package prices, but there are tons of options to their Tier Packages. Giving them a call and talking to them about specifically what you want is honestly the best way to do it. The site from what I have heard is in the works and will be up soon. With the stuff they have on Facebook why does a site really matter?

I've got their price list.......ya. Their shit is beyond overpriced.

I've got their price list.......ya. Their shit is beyond overpriced.

Why is that? Have you ever shot one? To say they are expensive that would be more correct than overpriced, without any first hand experience.

Why is that? Have you ever shot one? To say they are expensive that would be more correct than overpriced, without any first hand experience.

Don't need to shoot one to know that them wanting your HK + 3k isn't fucking insane. Effectively 4k when you include shipping for "modifying" a HK USP Pistol.

Don't need to shoot one to know that them wanting your HK + 3k isn't fucking insane. Effectively 4k when you include shipping for "modifying" a HK USP Pistol.

So I assume you own a HK then? Thats a pretty expensive gun to start out with :) (Love H&K's - so don't take that the wrong way)

At the end of the day that might be more than you are willing to pay but does that mean that it isn't worth it to another person?

So I assume you own a HK then? Thats a pretty expensive gun to start out with :) (Love H&K's - so don't take that the wrong way)

At the end of the day that might be more than you are willing to pay but does that mean that it isn't worth it to another person?

LOL, now thats funny. Show me what possible value they could add to a HK to make it worth that much.....Seriously.
I also own custom 1911's that cost more than their "expensive" plastic guns. I don't see how you can make a Glock or HK 2-3k better than what they already are. And from how their price sheet reads that doesn't even include a new barrel!

And ya I own 1911s, A glock, numerous HKs, etc.

LOL, now thats funny. Show me what possible value they could add to a HK to make it worth that much.....Seriously.
I also own custom 1911's that cost more than their "expensive" plastic guns. I don't see how you can make a Glock or HK 2-3k better than what they already are. And from how their price sheet reads that doesn't even include a new barrel!

And ya I own 1911s, A glock, numerous HKs, etc.

I don't really understand the passive aggressive towards their guns calling them "expensive plastic guns".. Does that mean SV guns are "expensive metal guns"? I honestly don't know what they do with the H&K tier packages (milling aside - and all that work adds up like I have said before) Now with that said that might not be something you would pursue, and you might be happier with the other guns you mentioned - that's great. If Glocks or any gun were superior straight from the factory then why do alot of people change things right off the bat? Take the M&P trigger - I detest that break trigger to death (just my personal opinion), and I am sure there might be people out there that love it - thats great. I have Salients flat faced trigger package ($260) and I love it - had apex's kit before it and still prefer Salients. If Glocks or M&Ps were perfect they wouldn't cost $500-600 - they are fantastic guns stock and for the money are the best options to start with as a base gun. But like anything there is always room for improvement.

For the OP - Take all this for what its worth and reach of to them directly and get all your questions answered. If you know of someone in your area that has a Salient built gun I would encourage you to give it a try - I have never met anyone that has not liked the work they do, and the end product once they receive it.

Last edited:
I don't really understand the passive aggressive towards their guns calling them "expensive plastic guns".. Does that mean SV guns are "expensive metal guns"? I honestly don't know what they do with the H&K tier packages (milling aside - and all that work adds up like I have said before) Now with that said that might not be something you would pursue, and you might be happier with the other guns you mentioned - that's great. If Glocks or any gun were superior straight from the factory then why do alot of people change things right off the bat? Take the M&P trigger - I detest that break trigger to death (just my personal opinion), and I am sure there might be people out there that love it - thats great. I have Salients flat faced trigger package ($260) and I love it - had apex's kit before it and still prefer Salients. If Glocks or M&Ps were perfect they wouldn't cost $500-600 - they are fantastic guns stock and for the money are the best options to start with as a base gun. But like anything there is always room for improvement.

For the OP - Take all this for what its worth and reach of to them directly and get all your questions answered. If you know of someone in your area that has a Salient built gun I would encourage you to give it a try - I have never met anyone that has not liked the work they do, and the end product once they receive it.

OK, I think everyone reading the thread gets it that you obviously have bought one or more of their guns and need to justify to yourself it was a good investment. It's human nature and we se it here on the forum all the time be it scopes, barrels,chassis's etc.

The bottom line is that they are way overpriced, much like a cadex/ashbury chassis, as to be in the absurdly expensive range for what they are and the performance they provide; some would call this robbery. Secondly, as business men, the 2 men behind the company are known in the industry for outright robbing and screwing over the parts providers/gunsmiths/machinists that they have used in the past to make these overpriced guns. All you have to do is ask around the industry and you'll see the list of people that have worked with them step up to tell you their story and they all end the same. So if you have money to burn and no scruples, then by all means have at it, just don't try to convince everyone they are the best thing since sliced bread.

OK, I think everyone reading the thread gets it that you obviously have bought one or more of their guns and need to justify to yourself it was a good investment. It's human nature and we se it here on the forum all the time be it scopes, barrels,chassis's etc.

The bottom line is that they are way overpriced, much like a cadex/ashbury chassis, as to be in the absurdly expensive range for what they are and the performance they provide; some would call this robbery. Secondly, as business men, the 2 men behind the company are known in the industry for outright robbing and screwing over the parts providers/gunsmiths/machinists that they have used in the past to make these overpriced guns. All you have to do is ask around the industry and you'll see the list of people that have worked with them step up to tell you their story and they all end the same. So if you have money to burn and no scruples, then by all means have at it, just don't try to convince everyone they are the best thing since sliced bread.

I have not bought any of their guns but have shot a few and if I had the money I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one. I am not justifying that it would a good investment I am simply explaining to the OP that their parts and work are very good - quality always costs a premium in my experience. (Never said they were the best thing since sliced bread - sliced bread is hard to beat)

This whole argument is on every internet forum that a higher price given: a gun, car suspension, hand tool, knife, training class, etc., once its past a certain (set point) its robbery, trash, worthless, garbage. That price point seems to always be based on what that person is willing to spend and that is the new quality point - if you go over this point its trash and a waste of your money. Is it though? Are other custom guns overpriced?

Now there is obviously the price, and its not for everyone - you could make the argument that one could buy several guns for the price of one of their packages and I would agree. There are some that might want to trick out their one gun instead of having more, personalizing their weapon and setting it apart from the rest in the process. The business issue is a little bit of a mute point in my opinion. From my time ordering parts or inquiring about the work I have never had a bad experience.

I was just trying to provide the OP a avenue for him to get his questions answered from the source and if he wants to move forward great. Thats all.

Cheers

Ok, Salient shill, sounds good. I wish you had a mute point so we wouldn't have to listen to it.

Actually whats being poo-pooed is the paying 2k for a glock that adds a bunch of bling and NOTHING performance wise over a standard glock with 250 bucks in parts.

Last edited:
I see Salient advertising their work heavily on Facebook, and I considered having them do my custom work, but they were very unresponsive. FB messages got a reply of 'Call us' and calling in got me voicemail and no callbacks.

After a few calls, I gave up trying to get a quote from them and just went to the Springfield Custom Shop instead.

Salient's work is gorgeous, but when you get right down to it....a $2k+ Glock is still a Glock. I had about a grand in an M&P for a competition gun and it was exactly what I wanted for it.

Salient has had some problems in the past, enough so that I'd be nervous about sending guns to them when other options exist (Glockworx/Zev, Taran, etc.).

I have one of their benelli m2 tactical shot guns on order with them, and they have been easy to get ahold of, and seem to have good customer service and easy to deal with.

Heard good things about their work but couldn't justify the cost. Especially if my serving its main purpose as a defensive pistol.

Wow, Lots of angry words about Salient.
First off - I own a couple.
And Secondly, yes, I drink Cool-Aid sometimes.
Lastly, they're F-ing Great guns.

I have 3 currently - Tier 2 34, Tier 3 w/T1 internals 21, Custom (no package) 32

I have spent a few hours with these guys, and found them to be good folks. I can't speak to any issues pertaining to their business practices, but my experience with them has been positive. The work they do on pistols (Glocks and M&P in particular), is pretty impressive. I came from the viewpoint that a John Browning based handgun was the only thing worth customizing (1911 & Hi-Powers), but I've changed my position on that after spending time with these guns.
There is much debate about the cosmetic aspect of the gun - but this isn't what changes the shooting experience. The internal work is where the most improvements are noticed. I was there with the owner while he installed my trigger and it took almost 2 hours as we went back and forth to get the exact feel that I wanted. The trigger is the best I've ever felt on any glock, period. I've tried the ZEV, I've tried other "Custom" trigger jobs, etc - nothing gets close to this trigger.
They hand fit the match grade barrels, they do impeccable stipple work and grip reduction - Some people consider this Cosmetic, but my 21 feels like an entirely different gun after the grip reduction, very comfortable even in my medium sized hands.
The slide work does look nice, don't get me wrong - but it is also based on performance - by removing weight you reduce felt recoil and improve time on target. This is something you can feel if you shoot a lot - if you're a casual shooter you may not see a difference in anything but the aesthetic. I'm not a pistol comp shooter and personally felt that the Tier 2 & 3 packages were better suited to my level of shooting, but I know a few guys who are at that level and say the work makes a difference.

I've had several Custom 1911 builds done as well as Hi-Powers - and while those are definitely more romantic than a custom glock - If the Shit hit the Fan, I'd take a Salient Glock with me. They still retain the reliability of the glock, along with hi-cap reliable, dependable mags. 1911s are finicky and generally undependable, they require a great deal of maintenance and upkeep, Glocks are the workhorse of the pistol world - Salient simply makes them easier to work with.

Wow, Lots of angry words about Salient.
First off - I own a couple.
And Secondly, yes, I drink Cool-Aid sometimes.
Lastly, they're F-ing Great guns.

I have 3 currently - Tier 2 34, Tier 3 w/T1 internals 21, Custom (no package) 32

I have spent a few hours with these guys, and found them to be good folks. I can't speak to any issues pertaining to their business practices, but my experience with them has been positive. The work they do on pistols (Glocks and M&P in particular), is pretty impressive. I came from the viewpoint that a John Browning based handgun was the only thing worth customizing (1911 & Hi-Powers), but I've changed my position on that after spending time with these guns.
There is much debate about the cosmetic aspect of the gun - but this isn't what changes the shooting experience. The internal work is where the most improvements are noticed. I was there with the owner while he installed my trigger and it took almost 2 hours as we went back and forth to get the exact feel that I wanted. The trigger is the best I've ever felt on any glock, period. I've tried the ZEV, I've tried other "Custom" trigger jobs, etc - nothing gets close to this trigger.
They hand fit the match grade barrels, they do impeccable stipple work and grip reduction - Some people consider this Cosmetic, but my 21 feels like an entirely different gun after the grip reduction, very comfortable even in my medium sized hands.
The slide work does look nice, don't get me wrong - but it is also based on performance - by removing weight you reduce felt recoil and improve time on target. This is something you can feel if you shoot a lot - if you're a casual shooter you may not see a difference in anything but the aesthetic. I'm not a pistol comp shooter and personally felt that the Tier 2 & 3 packages were better suited to my level of shooting, but I know a few guys who are at that level and say the work makes a difference.

I've had several Custom 1911 builds done as well as Hi-Powers - and while those are definitely more romantic than a custom glock - If the Shit hit the Fan, I'd take a Salient Glock with me. They still retain the reliability of the glock, along with hi-cap reliable, dependable mags. 1911s are finicky and generally undependable, they require a great deal of maintenance and upkeep, Glocks are the workhorse of the pistol world - Salient simply makes them easier to work with.

This seems counterintuitive to me? How does removing weight reduce recoil? I would think it would be the exact opposite of that.

This seems counterintuitive to me? How does removing weight reduce recoil? I would think it would be the exact opposite of that.

Me too - at first - they explained it this way.

When reducing the amount of the weight in the slide - you are reducing the amount of mass moving backwards during the recoil , therefore reducing the experience of "recoil". If you look at most of the "race guns" being built now, that is exactly what they are all doing - removing excess weight from the slides. Unlike in a revolver, where a full underlug helps, (and the basis of my though process of "weight = reduced recoil") - the slide pushing back against the frame violently is where you're getting the feeling of the recoil from a Semi-auto. This isn't a proprietary science - its been around for a long time. Couple years ago someone showed me a very old custom 1911 built by King Gunworks in Glendale, Ca (circa 1980?) with a fully skeleton-ized slide.
Here is a link to that gun when it was last sold - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=527208

You can do a search of slide lightening - and you'll see most of the custom gunsmiths are now offering this on builds - not just the crazy race/space guns.

Last edited:
Me too - at first - they explained it this way.

When reducing the amount of the weight in the slide - you are reducing the amount of mass moving backwards during the recoil , therefore reducing the experience of "recoil". If you look at most of the "race guns" being built now, that is exactly what they are all doing - removing excess weight from the slides. Unlike in a revolver, where a full underlug helps, (and the basis of my though process of "weight = reduced recoil") - the slide pushing back against the frame violently is where you're getting the feeling of the recoil from a Semi-auto. This isn't a proprietary science - its been around for a long time. Couple years ago someone showed me a very old custom 1911 built by King Gunworks in Glendale, Ca (circa 1980?) with a fully skeleton-ized slide.
Here is a link to that gun when it was last sold - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=527208

You can do a search of slide lightening - and you'll see most of the custom gunsmiths are now offering this on builds - not just the crazy race/space guns.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but that would seem to defy physics. I can see it speeding up cycling time. However, I am not buying it reducing recoil. They are some good looking guns though.

Lightening the reciprocating mass not only reduces the initial recoil but when tuned with the proper springs, it also reduces barrel dip at the end of the cycle. Slick as eel shit...

I shoot a Salient Glock 35 Tier 1 for 3-gun and USPSA. For 3-gun I use a 9mm conversion barrel, USPSA I shoot the .40. The gun is phenomenal. I enjoy shooting it next to guys spending $3k on their STI's and SVI's and watching them malf, mags constantly getting cleaned, constant maint, etc.... The guys at Salient take the Glock as far as it can go, to the edge of it's performance potential. Everything about the gun is meticulous. And honestly once they are done with it, it's really not "just a Glock" anymore.

Here is a quick clip running the G35 T1

Tarheel/VersaMax 3-gun Stage - YouTube

See much recoil? Barrel dip?

Last edited: