• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Salt bath nitride coating on a bolt.

Ksheff

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2018
I’m finishing up a rifle build and I want to coat the rifle bolt and handle black. I considered a microslick cerakote, but I think the SBN finish will be more durable and perform better at the same cost. I also have a local company that does melonite.

My question is how does the coating effect the product dimensionally? if I coat the bolt and handle, will I have trouble reassembling the firing pin, threads for the knob, etc?

As far as I know it will not impact anything dimensionally.

It shouldn't be a noticeable difference with SBN. It should only add about a thou to the surface. I'm going from memory but it can be easily looked up along with the other coatings.

My question is how does the coating effect the product dimensionally? if I coat the bolt and handle, will I have trouble reassembling the firing pin, threads for the knob, etc?

It's not a coating, it's a surface treatment; it doesn't build up anything on top of the surface. The only potential dimensional changes are from metal movement (warping, shrinking, etc) from the heat involved in the process.

Hateca's comment is important though.

From Kelbly's or having H&M refinish?

The Atlas actions a little north of $1k already nitrided and ready.

To have H&M nitride, I havent got the foggiest.