• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Salt Lake to-dos?

The D

We’re not supposed to be nice!
Minuteman
  • Apr 11, 2020
    Wife, baby, & I are going to be in Salt Lake City in a few weeks. Any suggestions for stuff to do in downtown? Does @TheGerman need some help maintaining the flotilla, or something?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bender
    Market st grill is a great place to eat. Seafood.

I’m from there. I feel like most of the cool things to do are in the mountains. Take a ride to park city or up big cottonwood canyon

Reactions: The D
    Market st grill is a great place to eat. Seafood.

I’m from there. I feel like most of the cool things to do are in the mountains. Take a ride to park city or up big cottonwood canyon
    Eat seafood when you're what....1200 miles from the ocean or so ?
    Have you ever tasted seafood caught that same week ?
    Tip, it goes bad fast.

Oh, and if you like nature, check out Antelope Island. Got to show my wife her first Chukar there. Got some great pics of the bison too. Even called an elk out into the camp ground (and left quickly while the people there watched it run to them) And see Thanksgiving Point Dinosaur Museum.

Is the Salt Lake light rail system as pestilence ridden as Denver’s? We’re going to be there for a low carb conference and I think we’re just going to be using shuttles and the train.

Following. Will be in Salt Lake with the Daughter in a month. She wants to see mountains and wildlife.
    Man, I don’t think we’ll have a chance to get outside the city but I’d love to. Doesn’t matter where, I love the mountains. If you’re driving, take a detour through Estes Park and see Rocky Mountain National Park. We went last weekend and saw some delicious looking deer and elk

Reactions: Bender
    Take the tour of the Visitor's Center.
    Drive across the lake on I-80, to Bonneville Salt Flats, and see if they are doing timed trials there. Get off the highway just after the viewing rest stop, and before you cross into Nevada. pick up a chunk of salt to take home. If you like the mountains, Take I-80 for a loop trip, east up to the junction of I-84, and north on 84 back down the canyon to the Valley near Hill AFB. Coming down 84 are several nice places to pull over and check out the River. If you like Desert driving, go into Nevada and take some of the dirt roads around that part of the desert. Have a map, water, ability to change a tire, food and cold weather clothing (it's cold at night). Pick up a book on Local Geology, look for geodes, and other minerals, might even be a local opal mine nearby. Several weeks gives plenty of time to explore. go to a rock shop, and try to tie in with a local rock hound. Ask where the obsidian is, and other minerals.

SLC has gotten very crowded in the last decade or so. Do yourself a favor and avoid driving if you’re only going to be in a small area. Not many residents use the public transit. There’s a lot of stuff to see downtown in regards to the LDS church and it’s history. They used to have a really good zoo as well.

Eat seafood when you're what....1200 miles from the ocean or so ?
    Have you ever tasted seafood caught that same week ?
    Tip, it goes bad fast.
    Yep, I was in King Salmon California and stopped in a little dumpy restaurant for supper. The Salmon had been off the boat about an hour and was grilled to perfection. Never had any like it before or after. Even a day can make a big difference. Theres a little place down by the Marine Corps Depot in San Diego called Blue Water that brings fish in fresh off the boat as well. Highly recommended.

Some are already mentioned, Hill AFB air museum, Antelope island horse back riding, Browning museum, there is a car and train museum at the Browning location, Thanksgiving Point and Dino museum, Timpanogos cave, Tabernacle stuff, Park city. I try to eat at Red Iguana whenever in town and a waffle with ice cream at Bruges

Nothing at Red Iguana or Bruges even belongs in the same thread as a “low carb conference”.

Mormon history stuff is kinda interesting. Tons of good beer and coffee available from the non-mormons who seem to actively work to be awesome in the face of the theocracy.

Lots of panhandlers and vagrancy in the urban core.

Getting out of town is the best thing to do. Bonneville, the canyons, park city, if ski town is your vibe. Check out the aviary.

Timpanogos Cave is really cool. Be prepared for a long walk uphill and back down, however.

In town, I remember Trolley Square was a neat place to go. This was in the 80's, so whether or not it's still there is unknown to me.

A fun park named Lagoon is a good time (provided it still exists, that is).

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but then again, it's been 20+ years since I've been there.

Make sure to hit up Twisted Sugar or Swig. Good place to get sodas. Lots to do. Park City is always fun. Just depends on how much time you have.

Take the Tram to the top of Snowbird. In the summer you can walk/hike down, but it still runs in the winter.

Lagoon is a fun medium sized theme park, but doesn't open until end of May.

visiting the capitol building can be interesting.

cathedral of the Madeline church was interesting, built in 1909 and fancy...

not necessarily for baby, but the University of Utah drama students put on productions under the Pioneer theatre called The Lab and something else, which were some of the best plays I've ever seen.

they have a great hole-in-the -wall Chinese restaurant called Little World that my sister-in-law who lived in Hong Kong for a few years loved. It was so authentic it got closed down briefly years ago for killing chickens in their parking lot. Delicious and apparently very fresh.

Kind of fun to have a carriage ride through downtown.

Last edited:
    "It still runs in the winter"?? Uh, you do know it's a ski area, right? LMAO

You may want to plan a ski day up Little or Big Cottonwood canyon. There should be some snow left, there's always a storm that's late in April to give you that one last powder day. But the snow has been terrible this year

Museum of Natural History of Utah, on U of U campus, great exhibits and kid oriented too. Great for a shitty weather day.

Hogle Zoo is excellent, great for a nice day.

In late June the air show at Hill AFB is incredible and will have the Thunderbirds.

Timp Cave trail is going to be pretty sketchy, it’s on the north face of the mountain so still not getting sunlight yet, call ahead to see trail conditions.

I wish I was going with you. I would love to go rockhounding Utah. Among many other rocks and minerals, the best dinosaur bone can be found there.

IMG_6530.JPG

Yep, I was in King Salmon California and stopped in a little dumpy restaurant for supper. The Salmon had been off the boat about an hour and was grilled to perfection. Never had any like it before or after. Even a day can make a big difference. Theres a little place down by the Marine Corps Depot in San Diego called Blue Water that brings fish in fresh off the boat as well. Highly recommended.
    We went on a cruise through SE Alaska several years ago and one of the stops we made was at a salmon bake. It was like $60 a person but also all-you-can-eat. I bet I ate $200 worth of salmon that was swimming in the ocean that morning and soooo good
    Have a soak
    I will definitely try to make this happen

Only peasants use public transit
    We’re only going to be there for a few days and not renting a car. I’ll debase myself a little if it saves some time

We’re only going to be there for a few days and not renting a car. I’ll debase myself a little if it saves some time

Count DeMoney does not approve, but please proceed......

"It still runs in the winter"?? Uh, you do know it's a ski area, right? LMAO
    Really? They ski at a ski resort in the winter in a state where the license plates say "greatest snow on Earth"? That's weird.

He's got a baby, it was implied he wasn't going to be skiing, but I guess it wasn't obvious enough...

Love the SLC area. I've been out there many times but can't come up with much to do with an infant, especially at this time of year. There is a dinosaur museum down at pleasant point but not sure how much an infant would get out of it. A few military museums as well, but the same. I've skied Alta and Park City, took my first sailplane ride in Heber City. I love it out there, always stayed in the Provo Marriott with a room on the mountain-facing side.

Really? They ski at a ski resort in the winter in a state where the license plates say "greatest snow on Earth"? That's weird.

He's got a baby, it was implied he wasn't going to be skiing, but I guess it wasn't obvious enough...
    Go to Deer Valley we leave our kids there while we ski if my sister can't watch our kids or my parents are in CA. Kids won't stop a skier!

Just to clarify, we will not be skiing. We will most likely just be staying downtown, unless we can follow the rest of the street urchins outward on the train

But, thanks everyone for the recommendations

Just having some fun...I knew you meant it was still available for non-skiers.

Reactions: gro
    The museum of John Moses Browning is just a few miles south of SLC in Provo I think. I havent been in SLC in 10 years.

Very ,very ,easy to get around in.. All Streets is based on the location of the Temple. Streets run N to S off State st , Ave E to W off Main .
    An address that it 5 1200n st 500 west ave is 12 blocks N of the Temple, and 5 blocks W of main st.

State liquor stores only that sell watered down beer.

And watch out for the Pedestrians crossing the street! Maniacs!

My Squaw and I went on a bus tour in and around SLC. It is a small bus and goes a lot of places and the driver tells you what you are seeing. They stop at several interesting places. Takes in the Temple, Tabernacle, Capitol building and several other place.
    Had we known of it, it would have been the first thing we did when we got there then could use later days to explore thing we discovered on the tour.
    It picked us up at the hotel downtown and dropped us off when over.

I’ll need a little help convincing my wife. And you’ll have to babysit for us if my wife is down with it
    It’s in the terms of service that whenever anyone asks about anything, hookers and blow has to be an option put forth.

I'd agree on the bus tours.. we did them in countless cities, they often allow "on and off" so you can visit places at certain stops and catch the next bus that comes around.

Some are already mentioned, Hill AFB air museum, Antelope island horse back riding, Browning museum, there is a car and train museum at the Browning location, Thanksgiving Point and Dino museum, Timpanogos cave, Tabernacle stuff, Park city. I try to eat at Red Iguana whenever in town and a waffle with ice cream at Bruges
    I was about to say don't go to the Browning museum cause it's been closed for the covid bs but I just checked and it is finally open.
    Hill AFB museum is free. They have an sr71.
    The museum of John Moses Browning is just a few miles south of SLC in Provo I think. I havent been in SLC in 10 years.

Very ,very ,easy to get around in.. All Streets is based on the location of the Temple. Streets run N to S off State st , Ave E to W off Main .
    An address that it 5 1200n st 500 west ave is 12 blocks N of the Temple, and 5 blocks W of main st.

State liquor stores only that sell watered down beer.

And watch out for the Pedestrians crossing the street! Maniacs!
    Incorrect. It's in ogden at the old union Station. You are probably confusing Ogden and Orem in your head. Happens to my wife sometimes. Currently 2 miles as the crow flies from me since I'm at work. It is also very close to the Ogden front runner station.

To add to the list This is the Place Heritage park is fun. Practically across the street from Hogle zoo and close to the UofU nat history museum mentioned above. Living history museum. Lots of fun stuff for kids. Summer season starts tomorrow. The monument itself is free. My direct paternal 3 greats grandfather is on the monument. His first name was John. A replica of his house is in the park as well.

@The D The front runner is great and the trains are pretty good but it would probably be good to consider travel times. Do some looking using Google maps of a car vs public transit. If you get a car and do stuff downtown Park under city creek mall. Prices are pretty reasonable.

Temple Square, Tabernacle, and conference center are all free.

If you have any family link to any of the plaid countries there is a cool store called Edinburgh Castle Scottish Imports that is downtown. Lots of neckties and scarves of lots of the plaid patterns. Cool place to see the patterns.

@JoshPutman Lagoon still exists. It's 2.25 miles from my house.

Last edited:
    @TheD I really don't think you can go wrong with the bus tour. That is where I would start on the first day so you kind of get a feel for things.
    We had a great Driver/tour guide who answered all question asked of him and made a lot of suggestions as to what to go look at.
    After the tour we rented a car the next day and drove around to look at various things that had we not gone on the tour bus we would have not had a clue that those things were around there. Salt mine, underground reservoir with golf course on top, hot springs, huge copper mine, island by the lake and the list goes on.
    The Hotel, down by the center of town, took care of getting the bus tour for us.
    At the time we were out there, SLC had a HUGE Homeless problem but they were working on that and I hope that is no longer a problem.
    I had figured out an agenda of a lot of places to go see before we went but there was no way we were going to be fighting the bums off just trying to walk about the downtown area.
    Our Hotel was 1 block SE of the Center of town and we were a bit of afraid of venturing forth from there as there were homeless bums everywhere.
    Check out the Bishop's store to see how well those Mormons have their shit together.
    And, please post back after you visit so we all know how it went. FM

Reactions: The D and Redmanss
    Is the wife a shooter? North Springs Range in Price Utah is only a couple hours from SLC and one of the nicest ranges in the country. Public 1000 yard range, along with typical pistol etc and out at the Barnes building you can shoot 1200, 1500 and a mile. Staff there is great. $10 full access.

Edit to add, one of the coolest western shoot town set ups around, if you like the western action shooting stuff.

Last edited:
    When I went to SLC it filled 2 of my buckets on the List.
    1 Rode Amtrac
    2 Went to SLC.
    If you go on Amtrac-make sure there is going to be a FULL or close. MOON.
    After you leave Grand Junction it gets dark but not a lot out there. then going into the Basin there is stuff to see but it is dark.
    I would love to ride a train during daylight out there.
    Filled those 2 buckets and don't need to go back for more.
    We did go to a public range out there and just watched, then Shot a few rounds with the boys and girls.
    Nice range and well run, no fuck fuck going on anywhere.
    Shooters were friendly. Good time.

Reactions: Redmanss and The D