• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

San Fransisco

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2014
    Small town New England
    Just accepted a new job and I start this week. I only have to be in SF once a month for a week. I can’t say I know the city all too well.

Any food / bar recommendations from people that live there or have lived there

Tony's napoletana,,,north beach

I second this. Award winning pizza. Hands down the best pizza I have ever had.

627CD1B8-3DB2-40A3-9A1B-E4869482BB88.jpeg

A00AE706-AEC2-456D-AFE5-7BCE97C7E888.jpeg

House of Nanking in Chinatown is good; only downside is a limited menu.

There's also a Chinese bakery and Dim Sum place next to each other literally one block further up thats fantastic.

Alitos(?). Fisherman's wharf. Fucking excellent steak. Kinda spendy.

You will not have any problem finding awesome eats in SF. I haven't lived there in years but there are little places all over with Thai, Lebonese, Vietnamese, everything... There used to be a place called The Schnitzel House South of market that had, well, awesome schnitzel.

Reactions: Maggot
    You'll have no trouble finding good cuisine in SF, they eat at a different level than any place Ive been. Just open the door to any restaurant and you'll find great food. A couple of my favorites are

Fog City Diner....but they dont take American Express, LOL.

Chez Pannise (Berkeley)... a long wait to get a reservation but well worth it

While in Berkeley be sure to visit the campus of UC Berkeley. They have Redwood trees on the campus that the kids study under. Be sure to go up the Carrillion, a tall bell tower on the campus. You can look across the bay at SF and watch the Fog roll in.

Visited once years ago, ate at Phil's Fish Market at Moss Landing and enjoyed it.

San Francisco is so beautiful. It is sad what it has turned into. Gotta go to the Pier and eat clam chowder out of a bread bowl outside! Just be ready for the dive bombing seagulls and the “brown land mines” on the sidewalks.

Reactions: Barneybdb
    We where there in November. Stayed on the warf. It was clean. The stereotypes I had imagined were wrong.

Fuck San Francisco. I was born there, lived there for 40 years. At some point I might have recovered from it to give some restaurant suggestions. :)

Honestly, the only place I really miss is R&G lounge, probably the most consistent and best Chinese in the city. Get the salt and pepper crab. Can't be beat. Most of the other good old places have gone away, leaving nothing but lines of sallow, skinny hipsters. God how I hate that place. There are other good Chinese places. The German is correct about the Chinese bakery, but how many egg custards can you eat? Z&Y Bistro is also very good Chinese. I am not Chinese, fwiw, but wtf, at least you find better food and fewer twats.

In all honesty, Tony's IS very good. It used to be the second best in town, but the better one moved back to NY. Otherwise, SF Italian food is pretty weak. I wouldn't touch the wharf with a ten foot dick. Sorry.

The food was honestly at its best in the late 90s, as was the rest of the city. It has become hollowed out in the same way without the residents noticing.

I dig La Taqueria in the Mission for tacos. Very good. My wife says that Californios, an upscale Mexican restaurant is really good, but I haven't been. All of the other high end places kind of blur into one. I can't say that any is better than the rest, just more pretentious and weirder. I guess if I wanted a really good meal in a nicer environment, I would suggest Delfina, but it is really hard to be around the people on that block, and I don't even think they shit the street.

Ranting aside, Cotogna is very good, as is Quince if you are looking to spend several hundred dollars a head. Kokkari has always been consistently good, especially the octopus appetizer and greek lamb. Can't go wrong with those.

Reactions: Bender
    hope its helpful good luck and have a safe trip

Love(d) San Fran. The food is amazing and never disappoints. Too bad the leftists have basically ruined it.

Watch your vehicle and take your valuables. From what I've read, car break-ins in San Fran are at epidemic levels. Made worse by the fact that leftists don't consider vehicle break-ins a "crime" and so they are not prosecuted by police.

Reactions: Rthur
    If you go to one place and order one thing this is the place, The Buena Vista Cafe, and Irish Coffee is the thing! You can thank me later!

And Scoma's is an excellent restaurant as well. Just order whatever the waiter tells you is fresh.

Love(d) San Fran. The food is amazing and never disappoints. Too bad the leftists have basically ruined it.

Watch your vehicle and take your valuables. From what I've read, car break-ins in San Fran are at epidemic levels. Made worse by the fact that leftists don't consider vehicle break-ins a "crime" and so they are not prosecuted by police.
    Niece lost a couple of camera lenses.
    Most likey the dudes holding down the bench watching the parking lot and what
    you were carrying when exiting the vehicle.
    Popped the rear window that was all but opaque knew exactly what and where.

R

Reactions: Arc Light
    House of Prime rib on Van Ness was always a favorite of mine. But I'll never go to San Fran again its a mess.

You'd do well to avoid most of the more touristy spots mentioned. Not that they are bad for tourists, but they are really pretty bad. Like going to Kansas City and getting barbecue at Chili's. What neighborhood will you be in for most of your times there?

Just accepted a new job and I start this week. I only have to be in SF once a month for a week. I can’t say I know the city all too well.

Any food / bar recommendations from people that live there or have lived there
    Im sorry

• Haha
    Reactions: Sniperwannabee
    Will the horse go in the surf at all ?
    They are not afraid of water. But swimming with a horse isn’t best done in the surf and true swing, it isn’t as straight forward as the cowboy movies..

Best done flatting your body and kinda being in like a swimming position— basically your getting really wet..

Reactions: candyx
    Dont forget to watch where you step. Have shoes with a good thick sole on them. A can of lysol on ya doesnt hurt either. Keep some job applications with ya too, they’re good for scaring away the libtards.

Enjoy the city while you are there. Its getting a lot of negative press (for some good reasons) lately but mostly its still very enjoyable and one of the best cities for great food. I worked there years ago and my wife did post grad studies at UCSF (years ago) and later spent time there with a consulting client. We get there even less now since moving from California to Utah but still visit friends, etc. in the city regularly. We were there last weekend and didn't see a single pile of poop - its mosly in a couple of areas of the city only.

Go ahead and hit the wharf if you're not familiar - largely a tourist trap with marginal eats but once you've been there a couple times you'll likely never go back. But do check it out.

New and excellent places are opening constantly. A few favorites off the top of my head:

Breakfast:
    Brenda's French Soul Food - Crawfish Beignets!
    Dotties True Blue Cafe
    Wooden Spoon (at the Swedish American hall)
    Plow
    Tartine Bakery on weekends
    Also - hit the Ferry Building Farmers Market on Saturdays - a lot of cool pop-ups

Favorites for a good dinner:
    Nopa (has a communal table - great if you're flying solo)
    Yank Sing for Dim Sum
    Spruce (in Presidio Hights)
    State Bird (on Fillmore)
    Boulevard
    The steak place at the St Francis (forgot the name)
    The Alembic
    Farralon - old school but still great
    Atelier Crenn
    Foreign Cinema

Casual:
    21st Amendment for pizza and beer
    Magnolia (Haight & Masonic)
    Bi-Rite Market - great sandwiches
    Toronado in lower Haight - great beers and the staff is a little surly
    Monk's Kettle
    Pier 23 - a bit touristy but cool
    Social Kitchen / Brewery
    Trick Dog for a proper mixed drink

Seriously though - there is so much more great food than this. Hit one of the brewkfast joints above and ask the staff what they like. They usually have good recommendations.

Cheers!

Herb

Enjoy the city while you are there. Its getting a lot of negative press (for some good reasons) lately but mostly its still very enjoyable and one of the best cities for great food. I worked there years ago and my wife did post grad studies at UCSF (years ago) and later spent time there with a consulting client. We get there even less now since moving from California to Utah but still visit friends, etc. in the city regularly. We were there last weekend and didn't see a single pile of poop - its mosly in a couple of areas of the city only.

Go ahead and hit the wharf if you're not familiar - largely a tourist trap with marginal eats but once you've been there a couple times you'll likely never go back. But do check it out.

New and excellent places are opening constantly. A few favorites off the top of my head:

Breakfast:
    Brenda's French Soul Food - Crawfish Beignets!
    Dotties True Blue Cafe
    Wooden Spoon (at the Swedish American hall)
    Plow
    Tartine Bakery on weekends
    Also - hit the Ferry Building Farmers Market on Saturdays - a lot of cool pop-ups

Favorites for a good dinner:
    Nopa (has a communal table - great if you're flying solo)
    Yank Sing for Dim Sum
    Spruce (in Presidio Hights)
    State Bird (on Fillmore)
    Boulevard
    The steak place at the St Francis (forgot the name)
    The Alembic
    Farralon - old school but still great
    Atelier Crenn
    Foreign Cinema

Casual:
    21st Amendment for pizza and beer
    Magnolia (Haight & Masonic)
    Bi-Rite Market - great sandwiches
    Toronado in lower Haight - great beers and the staff is a little surly
    Monk's Kettle
    Pier 23 - a bit touristy but cool
    Social Kitchen / Brewery
    Trick Dog for a proper mixed drink

Seriously though - there is so much more great food than this. Hit one of the brewkfast joints above and ask the staff what they like. They usually have good recommendations.

Cheers!

Herb
    I used to drink at toronado, mad dog and noc noc almost thirty years ago. I’m getting old as shit.

These are generally good refs, though herb’s tolerance for general twattery far exceeds mine if he is going to bi rite, tartine and dotties. Be aware that while they have good stuff, a normal person might want to commit hari Karirather than deal with the people and scene in those spots.

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot
    Taylor Street Cafe for breakfast.
    Sausage Factory in the Castro for good italian
    Asha for good Thai/fusion

I used to drink at toronado, mad dog and noc noc almost thirty years ago. I’m getting old as shit.

These are generally good refs, though herb’s tolerance for general twattery far exceeds mine if he is going to bi rite, tartine and dotties. Be aware that while they have good stuff, a normal person might want to commit hari Karirather than deal with the people and scene in those spots.

Ha! Those bars are still there.

I try to keep a live and let live attitude so the folks flying their freak flag - whatever it is - generally dosent bother me much. Honestly I go to Bi-Rite more for the ice cream and the croisants at Tartine are mostly worth the BS to get them - walked away more than a few times though...