• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sanity check, please: .223 bolt gun build

Happy Holidays!

I am starting my first bolt gun build, and I would appreciate a sanity check to make sure I am not messing up. I have done plenty of searching and reading, but I don't have enough experience to filter the results for exactly my application.

Here are my objectives:
  1. I have tons of 5.56 NATO match ammo (e.g. Black Hills 77gr) from my AR builds. I would like to shoot this out to 600 yards, both steel and paper, prone and bench.
  2. I do not currently reload, but I could see myself doing this in the future. If the build could accommodate 80/82gr bullets, this would be great, but not required. My local range has steel out to 887 yards.

Here are my plans:
  1. Remington 700 S/A, .223 bolt face, Badger recoil lug and tactical bolt knob, Timney trigger
  2. Krieger SS barrel, #9 heavy target contour, 26", 1:7" twist, Wylde chamber throated for 2.400" OAL
  3. JEC brake or Badger Thruster
  4. McRees chassis, AI polymer .223 mags, Atlas bipod
  5. Nightforce 20MOA rail, rings, 3.5-15x50 NXS

Again, I am a complete novice, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

-Kris

With a barrel that thick it's going to be a boat anchor anyway so there's no need for a brake. As for the chamber, the Wylde chamber was a compromise between the tight Saami spec 223 chamber and the fat/deep 5.56 chamber. Just go with 223 AI.

I'm going to ride in on the end of this thread and thank everyone for their replys. I'm about to order another barrel for my 223 varmint rifle and was considering a MTU contour. I appreciate your thoughts on the weight and going with something lighter. Its a Remington 700 PSS, and the barrel is heavier than a Sendero, more like a 40X. I'm going with a 1-9 twist, as I plan to shoot mostly 50 and 55's, nothing heavier than a 69 SMK. This is my Prairie Dog rifle and I often get a permit to do bird control on fish farms. I'll be trying for a finished length of 24 inchs, maybe 25 if there is enough barrel. I'll go with a standard chamber as I already have other 22 centerfires that are faster. I'm a loyal Krieger customer, so it will be a Krieger, and I'll probably have it fluted.

Any additional comments are welcome and thanks for the above ideas. Lightman

I would suggest a 5.56 chamber instead, it will handle .223's as well, but a .223 may have tight neck issues with 5.56 loads. Never limit your options.