• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAS New Remington ( COVERT) .308

Re: SAS New Remington ( COVERT) .308

OC,

Nobody contacted me about testing your rifle or anything like it. The only Covert Comparison I was doing was between the AIs, maybe I will throw in the DTA because I have that here too, but I was going to do a subsonic video with the AE and my AW -- the SAS Remington never came up ?

As far as Remingtons out shooting AIs, sure if you get a $5k Tac Ops, but then just buy a custom barrel for your AI and your right back in the mix, until you decide to test your sub 1/4 minute Remington out in the dirt, rain, snow, etc... I bet you any amount of money I can break that Custom Remington long before I bust the AI, but that is a conversation for another day.

As I said, you have a nice rifle there, enjoy it.

I have been running a Remington Covert for many years and did test against the AE/AW Covert setup with x3 different manufactures of suppressors. If you wanting a looker and fun all around shooter the M700 is a great option. The only issue you run into with the Remy M700 setup will be the stock/chassis systems due to the OD of the can and action OD which causes very tight tolerances for clearing the barrel channels. As for performance in the Sub-Sonic realm there is really no difference with a good barrel setup (1/10" has been the best performers overall) compared to the AI setups, however it is not on the same par or overall abilities of any AI system no matter how it is built. Great system and good looking rifle, enjoy it and they are truly a blast for all to enjoy.

Quick question since we're on the topic of coverts. What would you guys think of a covert AW/AX in .300wm or .338 Lapua with a 20" - 22" barrel?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's cute, a nice little Homage to the King, sort of like your little brother dressing up as you.

Still, one thing in your statement rings a bit off, when you said it was just as good or better than the AI simply because you saved a buck or two. A Remington is decidedly not an Accuracy International and can never be no matter how much work you put into it.

The original

SH_FLG_Covert1.jpg

SH_FLG_Covert2.jpg

Accept no substitutes...

<span style="font-style: italic">seriously, it's a good looking rifle, enjoy it.</span> </div></div>

Nice setup...

AI Covert....Check
Two AW magazines....Check
Bolt and paperwork....Check
AI Hat....Check

I like how the hat completes the package.

Mark

Sweet case setup on Frank's AW Covert!!!! Frank, who did the case cutout? Was that straight from AI??

That's how they come from AI.

I will one day have a AI Covert but until I find those funds I am having GAP build a Badger Action into one.

The Remington Covert is a great design and I love Remingtons but I am drawn to AIs like a Bug to light.

I love that gun, I don't really give a shit what make it is, that thing is sick!!!

The AI Covert has been at the top of my list now that I live somewhere that is can friendly. The only headache is how to leave behind the suppressor when returning to the States?
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's cute, a nice little Homage to the King, sort of like your little brother dressing up as you.

Still, one thing in your statement rings a bit off, when you said it was just as good or better than the AI simply because you saved a buck or two. A Remington is decidedly not an Accuracy International and can never be no matter how much work you put into it.

The original

SH_FLG_Covert1.jpg

SH_FLG_Covert2.jpg

Accept no substitutes...

<span style="font-style: italic">seriously, it's a good looking rifle, enjoy it.</span> </div></div>I'm glad you said it, so I didn't have to. There is more than just price in difference between a Remington and an AI.

Ordering my Remington Covert today. Looks like the better deal. I've owned AIs and Remingtons and I didn't like waiting forever to get parts for the AIs. Remington parts and aftermarket parts are more readily available. Some guys like AIs and some like Remingtons, I don't care what others think I just go with what I want and works for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: between the ii's</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ordering my Remington Covert today. Looks like the better deal. I've owned AIs and Remingtons and I didn't like waiting forever to get parts for the AIs. Remington parts and aftermarket parts are more readily available. Some guys like AIs and some like Remingtons, I don't care what others think I just go with what I want and works for me.</div></div>

Sort of funny ?

What <span style="font-style: italic">"parts"</span> couldn't you get ? You do realize AI has a division in the States right ?

Still, Most of my AIs are pre-2000, I think my original AE is a 97, and to date I have never needed any <span style="font-style: italic">"parts"</span> for it. I have bought barrels, but I get those from GAP most of the time, still, <span style="font-style: italic">"parts"</span> is some what puzzling to me. I guess however you want to justify the decision as long as it makes you happy. Not saying anything is wrong with the Remington, but the justifications crack me up.

Funny? Parts, spigot, scoperail, and bipod. I can understand you defending AI due to the fact that they are a Hide sponsor. I have made my choice and it works for me. I don't have to justify my decisions to anyone whether it cracks them up or not! As for AI being in the United States I hear that maybe short lived.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: between the ii's</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Funny? Parts, spigot, scoperail, and bipod. I can understand you defending AI due to the fact that they are a hide sponsor. I have made my chose and it works for me. I don't have to justify my decisions to anyone whether it cracks them up or not!</div></div>

Actually I have never received a single check from AI, so they must be falling down on their sponsorship payments.

And Pretty sure it was pretty easy back when Alice was at Tac Pro to get whatever you needed pretty darn fast, especially scope mounts and bipods. Not to mention currently Mile High has all of that in stock plus some...

Weak... severely weak.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And Pretty sure it was pretty easy back when Alice was at Tac Pro to get whatever you needed pretty darn fast...</div></div>Aaahhhh, Alice at TacPro. I just had a pleasant memory flashback.
smile.gif

I had my Remmy Covert out today with some LEOs. They couldn't believe how quiet it was and compact it could be. I shot some 155s and then some sub 208s just to let them see/hear the difference. Getting 14 minutes low with subs at 100.

I have AI AWs and a Badger clone of the Covert , they are similar , but the AI is Better , I have the correct AI 1-9 barrel & BT can for my AW , but have not gotten around to using ( have not pulled the the std 26 inche tube , as too busy shooting it ).

When I built up this Badger version , I used a slightly tighter twist than the std 1-9 AI spec , went 1-8 for it .

Agree with Lowlight , if you want a ultra rugged rifle , go straight to a AI , dont kid your self that Rem700 is any where close to IT .

Here's a pics of the Badger with correct BT can .

The idea for me in getting Badgers , was just to use to keep some wear off the real AIs & as extras etc .

Later Chris

DSC05326.jpg

DSC05321.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
SH_FLG_Covert1.jpg
</div></div>

That's just cruel, seriously...

If your AIs are so rugged and great, why do you have to have a clone to keep the wear down on your AI rifles??? As stated by Lowlight, in another post, "weak, seriously weak"!!!!!<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have AI AWs and a Badger clone of the Covert , they are similar , but the AI is Better , I have the correct AI 1-9 barrel & BT can for my AW , but have not gotten around to using ( have not pulled the the std 26 inche tube , as too busy shooting it ).

When I built up this Badger version , I used a slightly tighter twist than the std 1-9 AI spec , went 1-8 for it .

Agree with Lowlight , if you want a ultra rugged rifle , go straight to a AI , dont kid your self that Rem700 is any where close to IT .

Here's a pics of the Badger with correct BT can .

The idea for me in getting Badgers , was just to use to keep some wear off the real AIs & as extras etc .

Later Chris

DSC05326.jpg

DSC05321.jpg
</div></div>

Thanks for pointing that out. And if you knew me personally, you wouldn't be calling me a "Nitwit". Just shows your level of intelligence.

I bought a Pontiac Feiro because I couldn't afford a Ferrari. I couldn't see spending the extra million dollars when I could get the Feiro for only $2500 and its just as good if not better, cause hey they both have the engine in the back and four tires right?

Boone, your funny the guy your calling nitwit I know personally he's a former SpecWar operator 6'5" 275lb and benches 515. He's probably done more for you and your family than you'll ever know. Another funny thing he could probably drag you around the dirt by your eyesockets. Thank you for your service Onechance!

You're welcome toolfanatic. If we monitored the site for spelling and called people names (especially people we don't know) then we would all be in trouble. I would not mind if he would of just brought it to my attention, but he had to add the insult. I just mentioned that, "he wouldn't do it if he knew me". This was mentioned not because of my size or backgroud, but due to the fact I'm easy to get along with. Capt. Moroni, that's very creative. I like how you worded your post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can God damn guarantee you I would call you a nitwit to your face. </div></div>

Bets start at $10.00 gentlemen!! I would like to see the eye socket dragging....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolfanatic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boone, your funny the guy your calling nitwit I know personally he's a former SpecWar operator 6'5" 275lb and benches 515. He's probably done more for you and your family than you'll ever know. Another funny thing he could probably drag you around the dirt by your eyesockets. Thank you for your service Onechance! </div></div>

That's absolutely awesome. I'm sure he could beat my ass. How ever when someone acts like a nitwit I'm going to call them on it, and I'll take my ass beating, it won't be the first. I expect the same treatment for myself. It keeps everyone honest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onechance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're welcome toolfanatic. If we monitored the site for spelling and called people names (especially people we don't know) then we would all be in trouble. I would not mind if he would of just brought it to my attention, but he had to add the insult. I just mentioned that, "he wouldn't do it if he knew me". This was mentioned not because of my size or backgroud, but due to the fact I'm easy to get along with. Capt. Moroni, that's very creative. I like how you worded your post. </div></div>

I didn't curse you, nor did I think you would be offended by being called a nitwit. In reference to "he wouldn't do it if he knew me" statement that went out like a challenge. Like every other male on here I'm going to have to rise up to that challenge. If you are easy to get along with then great I'm sure we would get along. When I'm headed over to your neck of the woods I'll give you a call to go shoot. Now you can beat my ass before or after we shoot, I'll leave that up to your discretion. Just remember one thing big guy, guard your family jewels like fort Knox.

If "nitwit" offends, it's time for some therapy.

It's always the big guys with the touchy sensibilities who can't take a joke.

Also I would suspect ChrisF uses the clone to keep the value of the Covert high, as he said it's a stock spec Covert barrel, replacing it with something because you shot it too much would not be the same as keeping it original.

I have 3 other AIs so I don't have to shoot my Covert, doesn't mean I can't, or won't only means as long as I don't the value remains pretty high. So, I understand what he means. I would probably spend the money on a second barrel and use it on one of my other AWs, then shoot this one "just because", I have shot them before, brothers and sisters to mine, so the thrill is long past.

I buy my equipment to shoot it. I can not justify owning a rifle that sat in the house. While I understand your reluctance to shoot it LL, I have already put about 500 rounds downrange with my covert. It's fun to shoot and easy to pack.

I found this thread good for learning and was disappointed for namecalling over spelling... typing skills, on a laptop in a car, on a blackberry with tiny keys or simply hurrying does not affect the end product. I hope we can keep discussions to the subject as this is a great board.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tschiemer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found this thread good for learning and was disappointed for namecalling over spelling... typing skills, on a laptop in a car, on a blackberry with tiny keys or simply hurrying does not affect the end product. I hope we can keep discussions to the subject as this is a great board.</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I buy my equipment to shoot it. I can not justify owning a rifle that sat in the house. While I understand your reluctance to shoot it LL, I have already put about 500 rounds downrange with my covert. It's fun to shoot and easy to pack.

</div></div>

Not everyone has your money,and while I certainly don't baby my rifles, at the same time, I will put the investment worthy ones up so they maintain the highest possible value.

Can I ask a question that may be off-topic, and if it is just tell me and I will move the question:

I note Lowlight's rifle is a folder AI.

I was recently considering trading a watch for a fixed stock AI and noted since I had one that they now have folders. Is the folder AI as accurate as the fixed stock? I was close to getting the fixed stock and am wondering if the fixed stock and folder stocks are as accurate. Years ago I was told the folders were always a little less stable than a fixed stock and these new AI stocks may be over that issue. Both of your rifles look awesome!

Robert

No issue with the folder, it has no bearing on accuracy and it is very durable / strong, there is no play in the folding mechanism.

I fail to see how someone can claim less stability in the folder, let's say you have some play how are you translating it unless your shoulder some how moves to the side independently from your body.

End of the day, all my Chassis are folders and 2 of my AIs are too, it's a none issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I buy my equipment to shoot it. I can not justify owning a rifle that sat in the house. While I understand your reluctance to shoot it LL, I have already put about 500 rounds downrange with my covert. It's fun to shoot and easy to pack.

</div></div>

You have an original AIAW covert like LL's? Or the AIAE/SAS clone?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I buy my equipment to shoot it. I can not justify owning a rifle that sat in the house. While I understand your reluctance to shoot it LL, I have already put about 500 rounds downrange with my covert. It's fun to shoot and easy to pack.

</div></div>

Not everyone has your money,and while I certainly don't baby my rifles, at the same time, I will put the investment worthy ones up so they maintain the highest possible value. </div></div>

Let's leave the personal jabs out of it. I said I understand your position on not shooting it but had I wanted a collectors item I would have hunted an original down. I bought this one from Mile High to shoot. Just sayin'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LarryA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick question since we're on the topic of coverts. What would you guys think of a covert AW/AX in .300wm or .338 Lapua with a 20" - 22" barrel?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

A Covert in magnum calibers would almost be a waste of the cartridge. You might could set up a 338 LM to fire only subsonics but again, I think that is a waste

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I buy my equipment to shoot it. I can not justify owning a rifle that sat in the house. While I understand your reluctance to shoot it LL, I have already put about 500 rounds downrange with my covert. It's fun to shoot and easy to pack.

</div></div>

Not everyone has your money,and while I certainly don't baby my rifles, at the same time, I will put the investment worthy ones up so they maintain the highest possible value. </div></div>

Let's leave the personal jabs out of it. I said I understand your position on not shooting it but had I wanted a collectors item I would have hunted an original down. I bought this one from Mile High to shoot. Just sayin' </div></div>

Hmm, I am happy to get in a personal jab war with you, take your best shot. I think your post was a personal shot. it assumes that while i haven't shot the one in the picture, I didn't shoot them before. I shot Bill's on several occasions, I have shot one that was at RO, so why do I need to shoot mine ? Although I fully plan on shooting it for a video, I see no reason when I own 15 other suppressed rifles to shoot this one in particular. I put cans on my AIs all the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I buy my equipment to shoot it. I can not justify owning a rifle that sat in the house. While I understand your reluctance to shoot it LL, I have already put about 500 rounds downrange with my covert. It's fun to shoot and easy to pack.

</div></div>

Let's leave the personal jabs out of it. I said I understand your position on not shooting it but had I wanted a collectors item I would have hunted an original down. I bought this one from Mile High to shoot. Just sayin' </div></div>

Hmm, I am happy to get in a personal jab war with you, take your best shot. I think your post was a personal shot. it assumes that while i haven't shot the one in the picture, I didn't shoot them before. I shot Bill's on several occasions, I have shot one that was at RO, so why do I need to shoot mine ? Although I fully plan on shooting it for a video, I see no reason when I own 15 other suppressed rifles to shoot this one in particular. I put cans on my AIs all the time. </div></div>

I guess you can take it however you want. I did not take a stab at you. I said I understand why you do not want to shoot it, its a hard to get unit and a collectors item. Ok, understood. But i got mine to shoot it or else I would have went the course of locating an original. I was merely making a personal statement. Not towards you.

Relax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onechance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're welcome toolfanatic. If we monitored the site for spelling and called people names (especially people we don't know) then we would all be in trouble. I would not mind if he would of just brought it to my attention, but he had to add the insult. I just mentioned that, "he wouldn't do it if he knew me". This was mentioned not because of my size or backgroud, but due to the fact I'm easy to get along with. Capt. Moroni, that's very creative. I like how you worded your post.</div></div>

If I remember right, you called me out about a year ago for a spelling mistake. "Steven Seagal" ring a bell.

Eddie

Eddie,

If that's the case, (which I have a hard time remembering what I did yesterday) did I degrade you? I don't have a problem being corrected or correcting as long as it's professional.

Hell , what a bunch of girls , its almost as IF AIs are new and totally unproven , they are the real deal , and have been since the 80s , they where designed from the ground up to be a sniper rifle , not a cheap lite hunting rifle , opps thats the Rem700 .

I wanted a certain number of AI type rifles , and because I am not a millionaire , have decided to go with a mix of real AIs and Badger based clones , I also have a Badger AWM clone in 300WM , and Lowlight is right , having it as new unfired keeps its value high , and again , just because I have not fired all my AI rifles ,does not been I can't , it means I simply have not YET .

I also do not live in the US , and special rifles are not in large numbers here in New Zealand , and are not just sitting around in stores as they are in the US .
Here , everything like AIs are ordered by the buyer ( ie custom order ) , then you wait 6-18 mths to get your rifle .

Also firearm ownership here is not a RIGHT ( protected in Law ) , its a priveledge , which at any time the Politicains can remove IT with out consulting the people .

If money was NO object , most if not all of my precision rifles , would be AI , its that simple , they are that good.

I have experience with Sako TRGs , Parker Hale M85s , PGW Timberwolfs , Rem700 , Sako sporters , and Surgeons and a few others , and obvuoisly AIs , and if I had to choose just one it would be an AI rifle , hands down ( and as NZ does not make any of these , I am unbaised , as all these are foreign made rifles to me ) .

If I had to ever go to war with one , you can be sure it would have " Accuracy International " stamped on the side , along with made in " England " , and thats a good thing for ME , why because IF it was made in the USA , I would not be able to own IT due to your ITAR & export rules .

If you are still with your head in the sand , just google the countries that use AIs , you will find them in almost EVERY country , in either Regular Army or SF or Police units , even in Opps Russia .

Is my Badger Covert clone as good as a AI Covert , No its not , but at the time I though it would be ONLY 60% the cost , Opps , again due to changes in US Export requirements ( which where beyond , my control , as I cannot yet see into the Future ) , the actual cost of my Badger Covert is more like 90% plus , and at this level , you are much better OFF going straight to a AI rifle , hind sight is great thou .

Donot , make assumptions of shooters that live out side the US , we live in a very different world than you do , its much more expensive for us to own & shoot rifles , rifles are usually twice what you pay in the US , ammo & components are 3x the cost , to have a firearms licence , we are vetted & interveiwed & family and friends are also interveiwed , and then we pay some money as well , safes & homes are also inspected .

Its no easy thing for most shooters that reside , outside the great USA , so just bare a thought for us , ours is a much harder barrow to push .

For years I did not want to pay the AI price , and brought TRGs as I thought they where basically the same as an AI but 1/2 the cost , THAT was a big mistake , I wish I had brought my AIs 10yrs ago .

I have a mix of rifles , and have used AIs & Sakos in non magnum and magnum cals , and think more about the total design & cal than I use to .

In 308 , I prefer the AI AW , and in 338LM I prefer the Sako TRG-42 , as the AWSMs in 338LM have very small bolt heads for the cal , AI has corrected that with the new AX338 , and with the new AX338 , I prefer that over the Sako TRG-42 .

Later Chris