• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SASS 7.62 with Adams Arms Rifle length piston kit

kiena

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2007
Hawley, PA
Will the stock SASS work with that kit? Or it will require a barrel change and I'm pretty sure the rail system change as well. Is anyone actually attempted or have a running rifle with that kit?
D.

Re: DPMS SASS with Adams Arms Rifle length piston kit

The SASS barrel is thicker then the .750 gas block in the Adams kit. I actually looked into building my Mega Monolithic with the SASS barrel.

Wait a minute...are you talking about a MINI-SASS (i.e. - .223/5.56) or are you talking about the 7.62 SASS rifle?

First off...you CANNOT RUN THE ADAMS ARMS PISTON RETROFIT KIT WITH A 7.62 RIFLE!!

That said, if you are talking about the Mini-SASS...it has a mid-length gas system, so the rifle setup will NOT work. You'd need the mid-length setup. Additionally, the journal/junction of the Mini-SASS is 0.936" which is too large for any of the Adams Arms kits to my knowledge. You may be able to contact them and see what they can offer you for a bull-barrel, 0.936" journal. Finally, if you get through those problems successfully, you need a minimum of 1.02" of clearance from the centerline of the bore to the bottom/underneath side of the handguard. You should be able to measure that space to determine if the kit will fit without modification of your current handguard or if you need to switch to another HG.

Hmm like i figured about the barrel diameter, but with lighter profile barrel it could theoretically work and im sure someone has done it. there are plenty of 7.62 piston ars on the market and the operation of the action is not any different then the other and i dont see why the AA kit would not work. ( I'm not talking about Mini-SASS ).

There are plenty of 7.62x51 piston operated AR's on the market, each of which was purpose-designed and built as piston rifles...they are not converted DI guns. Besides the differences in pressure the 308/7.62 produces in comparison to the 223/5.56 rifles, there are fundamental design and dimensional differences between the platforms that prohibit an AR-15 conversion kit to work properly on an AR-10/LR-308 (i.e. - the piston/op rod for a 5.56 vs. a 7.62 system are totally different lengths). There are numerous manufacturers, including Adams Arms, that are working on 7.62 conversions for the AR-10/LR-308 platform rifles, but none are available yet.

If you would contact Adams Arms, their CS folks would be more than happy to walk you through the problems with doing what you are trying to do. I have had several conversations with folks who work their, including the owner Jason, about different projects from parts for non-Adams Arms weapons to complete setups for the 7.62 piston conversion.

I would be calling them shortly, and thank you for your insights...
D.