• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10 Barrel Reccomendations

carterjamison1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2013
Hey guys,
So I want to replace my barrel with a heavy or bull or even a varmint barrel. Its a Savage 10 in .308. I'm familiar with eabco, shillen, and ER Shaw, and I've heard nothing but great reviews about them but haven't found a place to order from. I'd like to stay in the $200-300 range though, although I wouldn't argue with a lower price! Lol (although I highly doubt there's anything worth buying, in that range).
All thoughts and help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance guys,
Carter

Just had mine replaced with a CIB(Criterion) but haven't shot it yet. Contact Jim at Northland Shooters Supply.

Criterion makes a very good barrel, and Jim @ NSS has a good reputation for a reason.

In the sub-$200 range, you might give Apache Gun Works a look. He uses mostly Green Mountain blanks and does the rest of the work himself, and folks have reported very good accuracy with them.

346 and Boiler, thanks so much for the info guys. I'll check out both of those leads!
Thanks again!
-C

May also want to check McGowen... I know they sell pre-fit Savage barrels, too.

Hey guys,
So I want to replace my barrel with a heavy or bull or even a varmint barrel. Its a Savage 10 in .308. I'm familiar with eabco, shillen, and ER Shaw, and I've heard nothing but great reviews about them but haven't found a place to order from. I'd like to stay in the $200-300 range though, although I wouldn't argue with a lower price! Lol (although I highly doubt there's anything worth buying, in that range).
Thanks in advance guys,
Carter

Please let me know if you have any question about our Savage pre-fits, I would be more than happy to help answer them. For any order inquiries, Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply can be reached through the following methods:

www.northlandshooterssupply.com

Phone: (763) 682-4296 – (Best way to contact Jim)
Fax: (763) 682-6098
E-mail: [email protected]

Mailing address:
PO Box 333
Buffalo, MN 55313

Good luck with your upcoming re-barreling project!

-Josh

You can't go wrong with a Criterion barrel!!!

Plus, Jim Briggs at Northland is the nicest guy you can hope to do business with.

I have some very good advice for you: pull the factory barrel off and replace it with a Criterion or Shilen pre-fit from Jim at Northland Shooters Supply. It will be the best $350 you ever spent on a rifle. Here's why:

I have owned three Savage rifles in the past three years: one 11 LRH, and two identical 12 LRP's. All three have been used in several competitions, and all three have the same rough barrel rifling with tool marks that make the barrel look threaded. I've been fighting a losing battle with inconsistent velocities, horrid fouling, blown primers, and countless unexplained flyers. Half the 260 Lupua brass I bought went in the trash thanks to pressure problems. It wasn't until I gave in and bought a new barrel that the difference was made clear.

Not only did I shoot five shots in a 1.5" group at 330 yards with a 28" Criterion barrel, but I'm able to get the same velocity out of the same cartridge using two grains less powder. I would get 2810 FPS* (average) from 44.0 grains H4350 using 140 grain AMAX and Remington brass, but now I get a solid 2830 FPS from the exact same cartridge along with much tighter groups. I fired fifty rounds through the Criterion barrel and it hardly had any sign of carbon afterwards, whereas the factory barrels would foul the lands and rifling with copper after only ten shots. My Criterion barrel cleaned to a mirror finish again after one wet patch and one dry... no brush needed.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I ended up going with Apache Gunworks. Jim has been really awesome, super easy to get a hold of and gave me a great price. I definitely plan on keeping those recommendations though for future works.
Thanks again guys!
-C

I just got a .260 bull from Jim@Apache and a 3wk turnaround and excellent product! I will buy from him again for sure.

I will third Jim [MENTION=21299]Apache[/MENTION] for good work. And a great guy as well. Northland is good to go as well but I would look to Apache first in the future

ER Shaw barrels can be ordered from that funny place called ER Shaw. They have a website and probably have what your looking for ready to ship.
I put a Lothar Walther SS barrel on mine, it is a hammer. Very well made and they also normally stock those barrels.
They also have a website.

As does Shilen and McGowan.

Hey guys,
Thanks in advance guys,
Carter

Take a look at E. Arthur Brown Company (eabco.com) They are an outlet for ER Shaw but they also have their own line of barrels. I purchased the EABCO Varmint Contour Barrel in 260 and I have been very happy with it - enough to have it fitted with a muzzle brake.

For future reference go here for Savage upgrades.

Yeah....Sharp Shooters Supply Business Review in Delphos, OH - Northwestern Ohio and Southeastern Michigan BBB

SSS makes good parts (their enhanced Extraction/Ejection kit and Fred's time/true job should come standard on all Savages from the factory IMO) and they're literally a mom-and-pop shop, but its hard to recommend a business when you can't get them to answer emails/phone calls to take your money - or they do take your money and don't provide parts in anything close to the quoted time frame.

[MENTION=47204]BoilerUP[/MENTION]. Wow I had no idea! Never had a problem although that was several years back. Thanks for the heads up.

Jim