• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage 10 FCP McMillan 308 to 300 wsm

Re: Savage 10 FCP McMillan 308 to 300 wsm

Should be able to. But what are you going to do about the bolt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should be able to. But what are you going to do about the bolt? </div></div>

Beauty of the savage system! The floating bolt head can be changed out in just a few minutes. Midway has them. Last one I bought from them ran around $45.00 (I think), more or less.

So, are you all saying that it shouldn't be a problem, from a safety perspective, to ream out the existing chamber to accommodate the WSM?

Should work out fine if done by an experienced gunsmith. The case is larger in diameter and the neck further forward so you will be removing all of the old chamber and shouldn't have to set back any.

The problem with Savage barrels is they normally start to taper very shortly after the threads. If you set it back too far, then you start to run out of meal for the threads. But with your choice, you are just putting a larger brother of the 308, you'll be fine.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Utnapishtim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, are you all saying that it shouldn't be a problem, from a safety perspective, to ream out the existing chamber to accommodate the WSM? </div></div>

No problem on the safety issue.
BTW,I looked back through my account record with Midway, & I misquoted the price for the bolthead. The right hand (stk#866933)is $23.99, left hand (stk#434934) is $19.79.

I was also thinking of cutting the barrel back from 24" to 22".

My thought is that it would be just a bit easier handling in the woods.

I don't expect to take a shot over 800 yards.

So, 22", with a 1-10 twist, a Holland brake, and a Limbsaver pad on a 300WSM Savage 10 FCP McMillan . . . 185gr VLDs

Good hunting/target rig . . .

Or should I just keep the extra 2", and enjoy the velocity?