• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage 10 or Rem 700?

allghilliedup04

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Salem, Oregon
Okay so I already own a Savage model 10 fcp hs precision. The stock is a little bulky for a field rifle that i hunt with and I would like a shorter barrel.

Should I switch out the stock and trim the barrel or should I sell the model 10 and start over with a rem 700 aac sd and swap the stock right away?

Thoughts please.

Re: Savage 10 or Rem 700?

You can always get another savage, the Precision carbine is one that comes to mind with as being relatively light and has a 20" barrel.

picked up a 10FP-SR 20" pretty much the same as the AAC but with a crappy plastic stock instead of a crappy rubber one. Very handy hunting stick and a heck of a outta the box shooter. This is the ford vs chevy argument of rifes

you can pull your own barrel and send it for a chop and thread and get any stock (except AICS) that you can for a 700. plus you already have it. so unless you just want a different rifle, mod yours

My 10fcp is at GAP right now, for $250 it's getting cut to 18" and having a badger fte installed.

As far as the stock, I have a choate tactical on mine, was considering switching out for the one you have. That HS is actually a light stock.

If it is the style you don't care for, you could sell your stock and buy the other HS in a more traditional hunting style.

My gun is more accurate than I, if yours isn't up to par on accuracy, then perhaps looking for a new gun isn't out of the question.
If it's a shooter, keep it.

Can you get the bell and Carlson m40 style stock for a savage? If so where and how much?

What do you think I could sell the hs stock for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 10fcp is at GAP right now, for $250 it's getting cut to 18" and having a badger fte installed.

As far as the stock, I have a choate tactical on mine, was considering switching out for the one you have. That HS is actually a light stock.

If it is the style you don't care for, you could sell your stock and buy the other HS in a more traditional hunting style.

My gun is more accurate than I, if yours isn't up to par on accuracy, then perhaps looking for a new gun isn't out of the question.
If it's a shooter, keep it. </div></div>

Its a tack driver for sure!! Holds .5 moa for me at 100. Just don't care for the bulky stock and want a more traditional style m40a1 stock but don't wanna drop a ton on it.

What I'm running into is for what my savage is worth as is I could get an aac sd swap to m40 style b&c stock already have a short barrel and threaded and be back at the same cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get a B&C for it sure.
This is what you are looking for?
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-110/Bell-Carlson-tactical-2092/Detail

You can get one for the 10fcp, should be the 4.4" spacing with DBM.
Your current HS is the tactical correct? </div></div>

That's almost exactly what I have. I want the m40a1 style pretty much hunting stock with a little extra for cheek weld.

The one I have is tactical yes

Hogue is really the low end of custom stocks, if you really want a good stock and don't want to pay a lot for it, get a Stockade stock in moneysaver, an unfinished hunting sporter or monte carlo (I like the stock with a comb) cost about $175 unfinished and isn't hard to finish yourself, the wait is very long though.

I am actually using a custom rem 700 with that exact HS precision from Midway right now while my gun is at GAP.

This buddy that loaned me this rig has that HS on almost every hunting style gun he owns, they are light, durable, they just flat out do their job. For a decent lower priced stock, they are worth a look.

Or a guy steps up and spends a few hundred more on a manners/Mcmillan.
Expensive hobby this is...

Buy a Criterion prefit barrel and the stock of your choice, then sell your current barrel and stock to offset the cost.

Like some have said, why not buy another barrel & stock for your current rig? If it was me I would buy another Savage for a hunting rig & keep the current one as well. (2) rigs for (2) different roles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OPFOR 308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like some have said, why not buy another barrel & stock for your current rig? If it was me I would buy another Savage for a hunting rig & keep the current one as well. (2) rigs for (2) different roles. </div></div>

This is good advice...
There are of course exceptions, but I've learned that if you try to have a do it all setup, you're going to make sacrifices on both ends.

I would keep the savage. Just buy a new barrel and stock and switch them out with the old parts. If you are looking for a traditional style stock look at stockade stocks. They have several such as the mule deer and woodchuck that might fit your needs and the price on the money saver is not that bad. I have never used one of these stocks but plan to in the near future.

i cant keep both like you all are suggesting, im on a budget and buying new barrels is expensive. If it was as simple as that and money wasnt an issue would have done that a long time ago. and i agree two guns for two roles would be nice but i can afford that.

im gonna look into stockade, are thier stocks pillars or are they bed blocks?

They have a full aluminum skeleton with a bedding block like the B&C medalist. Another option for a barrel is searching the classified adds over on Savage shooter. There are some good deals to be had on low round count take offs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: allghilliedup04</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i cant keep both like you all are suggesting, im on a budget and buying new barrels is expensive. </div></div>

You can buy a prefit Savage barrel in the length & caliber of your choice for less than $300 and install it yourself in 30 minutes with a minimal amount of tools (no gunsmith required with a Savage), and sell your current barrel for $100-150 to offset that expense.

In the end, you'd have a mid-grade custom barrel for about the same $$$ as having a good smith cut & recrown your factory barrel.

that still leaves me with the stock issue though... which is another 300 dollars. even offset that puts the rifle cost over 1200... just not sure that its worth it

You really have a good stock on there now. I'd keep the gun. you can sell the stock you have now for some decent money to help offset the cost of a new one. Heck I'd make you an offer on it if you went that route

GAP told me a cut and recrown is $40. Criterion barrel is $280 ish, after he gets the action wrench, nut wrench, headspace gauges it would be hard to say it would be a wash...

For another option, just because it is worth mentioning. The Remington 5r mil spec 20" rifle comes threaded, it also comes with that HS varmint stock. This is a stainless action with the 5r barrel. That 700 aac-sd is, say $600, add the HS stock and you're at $900, you might as well get the 5r for its upgrade in components.

You sell that HS, you let me know
laugh.gif