• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10 stealth 6.5 creedmoor

Terabyt1

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2019
So I screwed up- Here is my issue- did some reloading a while back.

Hornady 140 ELD-M
CCI - 200 primer
Lapua Brass 1.91. Neck .288
H4350 41.3g (+- .02)
OVL 2.8200 2.3095 (comparator)

Well some how seating depth got changed to 2.857 and when I shot the bolt lug locked up. I was able to open it and noticed the firing pin pierced primer. So I sent it back to savage under warranty, not knowing yet that the seating depth got changed yet. Anyway, savage fixed the riffle, well they freed up the bolt. But now when I shoot that load, firing pin still Pierce the primer. But if I use Hornady or Starline brass with the same load it doesn’t? I’m thinking firing pin has a edge? Hornady and Starline cases are softer, not as much presser? Can’t find a new firing pin anywhere.
Am I thinking Right or no?
Bob

Pics would help. I had a similar problem with a savage in .223 a few years ago. It would randomly " pierce" primers on a mild load. Turned out to be a problem with the firing pin hole in the bolt head being to big, allowing the primer to flow back into the hole and sometimes pop. It sounds like you are shooting a fairly mild load. Might be worth looking at. Also check your firing pin protrusion. If they worked on the bolt it may have gotten changed.

1599498161889.jpeg

I wanted to get the firing pin hole bushed but couldn’t find anyone that would do a savage