• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage 10FCP HS 5R pics with range report.

jlitalien

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2007
Aurora, Colorado
Well, I finally got my new Savage 10FCP HS 5R put together and to the range to zero the scope. The 5r has the 24" fluted barrel with the 5/8x24 threads and as it sits now it's topped with the Vortex HS LR 4-16x50 FFP XLR, Vortex precision matched rings, EGW HD base, and waiting for the Seekins sling rail, Atlas bipod, monopod and an LTM multicam finish. I zero'd the scope for 200yrds. With 175gr FGMM shooting from my homemade sandbags I put together this 5 round group at 100 yards. Originally I figured that I would need to bed the stock but I think it's good to go. Hopefully I'll have time to get out to the long range next week.

Nice setup. I pretty much have the same thing except with a viper 6x24 ffp. I haven't got to shoot it much I had to send it back to Savage, it was shooting low and to the left. I was running out of elevation in the scope even with a 20moa base. I cant wait till I get it back.
I hope I can get groups like yours.

Nice setup. I pretty much have the same thing except with a viper 6x24 ffp. I haven't got to shoot it much I had to send it back to Savage, it was shooting low and to the left. I was running out of elevation in the scope even with a 20moa base. I cant wait till I get it back.
I hope I can get groups like yours.

That seems strange. With a 20MOA base and a 200yrd zero I still have 59MOA of elevation left over. I could have probably used a 0MOA base and still had enough to make it to 1k.

Did you get it on paper before you sent it back?

I did and it grouped nice about .6 moa with some Remington core lokt. I know it isn't match grade but its all I had at the time. Im currently starting to develop some loads for it. Hopefully it comes back soon so I can shoot it.

Congrats on your rifle. Just proves you don't have to spend a small fortune to get good results if you can shoot. Looks to me like you can shoot.

I did and it grouped nice about .6 moa with some Remington core lokt. I know it isn't match grade but its all I had at the time. Im currently starting to develop some loads for it. Hopefully it comes back soon so I can shoot it.

It's probably going to be 6 weeks or so, minimum. Your rifle will go in the pipeline, and when it is fixed, it goes to the test-firing facility, and they will send you a fired target with the rifle. Mine had a bent barrel, and Savage replaced it; now with worked-up handloads it shot a 0.266" group for 5 rounds at 100 yds the last time out. I did have to bed the action, and an inch or so of the barrel, and I diamond-lapped it (it was shooting about 0.6" groups before that). jlitalien apparently won't need any of the extra work. Fed GMM is great ammo. I am shooting the Sierra MatchKing 180 gr, moly-coated. In case it helps, I use Lake City surplus cases, CCI BR-2 primers, Varget 41.5 gr, with the 180 gr moly-coated bullets seated 2.785" OAL. If you use your fired Fed cases and Sierra 168's at 2.785" OAL, my optimum barrel time calculation says 43.5 gr of Varget should be a good starting point in a 24" barrel. Most likely you will be on a node at 43.2-43.5. This is for uncoated bullets, if you prefer those. If you use Sierra 175 MatchKings, decrease the powder charge about 0.3 gr from these numbers. Work up all loads in your rifle, checking for signs of excess pressure (disclaimer).

Last edited:
It's probably going to be 6 weeks or so, minimum. Your rifle will go in the pipeline, and when it is fixed, it goes to the test-firing facility, and they will send you a fired target with the rifle. Mine had a bent barrel, and Savage replaced it; now with worked-up handloads it shot a 0.266" group for 5 rounds at 100 yds the last time out. I did have to bed the action, and an inch or so of the barrel, and I diamond-lapped it (it was shooting about 0.6" groups before that). jlitalien apparently won't need any of the extra work. Fed GMM is great ammo. I am shooting the Sierra MatchKing 180 gr, moly-coated. In case it helps, I use Lake City surplus cases, CCI BR-2 primers, Varget 41.5 gr, with the 180 gr moly-coated bullets seated 2.785" OAL. If you use your fired Fed cases and Sierra 168's at 2.785" OAL, my optimum barrel time calculation says 43.5 gr of Varget should be a good starting point in a 24" barrel. Most likely you will be on a node at 43.2-43.5. This is for uncoated bullets, if you prefer those. If you use Sierra 175 MatchKings, decrease the powder charge about 0.3 gr from these numbers. Work up all loads in your rifle, checking for signs of excess pressure (disclaimer).

Thank You this should give me a good starting point I will be using SMK 168 to start with over some Varget or IMR 8208 not sure which one I am going to try first. I hope Savage fixes my problem so I can start testing some loads. This is going to be a long six weeks.