• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10FP .308 stock options

asmith5144

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2009
Lincoln, NE
I am looking to upgrade the stock on my Savage 10FP short action in .308. I'm in search of some knowledge on the subject or from some other savage owners. I've been thinking about a Bell & Carlson or maybe a Choate stock. This is an older model rifle with a 4.25'' spacing between the attach lugs, so I realize that my options might be limited. I was also wondering if there is anyone who makes a conversion kit to switch from a internal magazine to a drop magazine or even just a drop plate. This is mainly a low budget rifle, so I really wasn't looking to pay for a Mcmillan or a manners.

Re: Savage 10FP .308 stock options

I had one with a choate tactical, not a bad stock but can be heavy...I like the looks of the B&C Medalist Tactical better.

Shoot, I just read your post that said you DIDN'T want a Manners... my b.

For ~$200, it is DAMN hard to beat the Bell and Carlson.

And, because it's cheap, you don't have to feel bad about grinding/cutting/shaping it however you like.

Here's my B&C Tactical stock, Savage 10FP with 4.27" action screw spacing, fitted with a CDI DBM setup. I've ground off the "flairs" on the forearm, and then sanded in some taper to the bottom of the forearm, so that it's no longer parallel to the bore.

1325747973.jpg

I really, REALLY wish Bell & Carlson made the M40 for Savages...

...but since they don't, and you don't want a Manners or McM, go with the A2 Medalist. I have one on a staggerfeed 12FV with CDI DBM and it works great, blocky forearm "wing" ergonomics aside.

Red Hawk Rifles has about the lowest prices on the internet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Red Hawk Rifles has about the lowest prices on the internet. </div></div>

Definitely check out Red Hawk Rifles for the B&C. I ordered the Varmint Tactical for my newer Savage a couple weeks ago and had it in my hands 2 days after ordering. Those guys are quick!

I also have some bottom metal I am going to try and fit to the stock myself... haven't done it before, but want to go the budget (hopefully not cheap and shoddy) route on this rifle.

Im in the same boat here! Right now my savage is sitting in a McMillan A4, but Im looking for a system that allows a DBM. Right now I have to single load the rounds to fill the internal mag, and that makes difficult for a match. If anyone can recommend a stock and bottom metal combo then Id be very grateful.

Honestly, Id even consider a trade for the right deal. The quicker the better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sreid87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im in the same boat here! Right now my savage is sitting in a McMillan A4, but Im looking for a system that allows a DBM. Right now I have to single load the rounds to fill the internal mag, and that makes difficult for a match. If anyone can recommend a stock and bottom metal combo then Id be very grateful.

Honestly, Id even consider a trade for the right deal. The quicker the better. </div></div>

Send the stock to CDI and Jeff will inlet it for his DBM. Buy AICS mags and get after it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Asmith5144</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking to upgrade the stock on my Savage 10FP short action in .308. I'm in search of some knowledge on the subject or from some other savage owners. I've been thinking about a Bell & Carlson or maybe a Choate stock. This is an older model rifle with a 4.25'' spacing between the attach lugs, so I realize that my options might be limited. I was also wondering if there is anyone who makes a conversion kit to switch from a internal magazine to a drop magazine or even just a drop plate. This is mainly a low budget rifle, so I really wasn't looking to pay for a Mcmillan or a manners. </div></div>

B+C is definitely the best bag for the buck, problem is it increases the sting of paying for a detachable bottom metal/ inlet/ magazines that can add up to double the stock

I would avoid going with any DBM that does not use asic type magazines - satisfaction with wyatt + others seems to run about 2 to 1 against - while pretty much everyone is happy with the asic standard DBM's

I sent Jeff an email earlier about working on my stock.

Any reason the AICS mags are so great? Ive handled them but never shot with one before. For $80 a piece they better be badass, just didnt know if there was something special about them.

Thanks for the heads up though.

I am patiently waiting on my Manners. But I still liked the Medalist that I have now.

Just checked out the link to CDI Precision gun works. Those DBM kits look like they should work great for what I'm looking for. I wish I had the money for a Manners, but it's just not in the cards right now. Thanks for the link.

That type of set up is exactly what I'm looking for. That's a nice rifle you have there!

Thanks for all the help guys. I learned more in way day talking to you guys then weeks of looking online by myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sreid87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Any reason the AICS mags are so great?
</div></div>

they work!

This is a thread I made for my Savage 10 FCP-K and re-posted here, hope it will help give you some more ideas for stock options.

I just recieved the Prarried Dog Special Tactical stock from Stockade Stocks. Kevin was really easy to work with and produced a quality product.

The stock was ordered with Flush cups, front rail with adjustable swivel stud, Karsten cheek piece, 10 round detachable mag, and Kevins bottom metal.

I really like how his bottom metal will accept the new style trigger gaurd that has the spring loaded cover over the action bolt.

I am waiting on the Vortex Razor 5x20 to arrive. I will be using the US Optics Quick disconnect UMQDS 35mm 0 MOA rings, and Valdada 20 MOA scope base.

I just need to figure out a a color, the barreled action is already coated in a light flat dark earth, I am thinking about going with a similar to darker, solid patern, flat dark earth on the stock. Bellow are a few picture of everything prior to finishing and paint.

20120502_115645.jpg

20120502_115408.jpg

20120502_115335.jpg

20120502_115305.jpg

20120502_115200.jpg

I recently ordered a Choate Tactical stock with CDI Conversion kit for my 10 FP. I did have to do some work on the rear V in the stock, but other than that, I am completely happy with how it has turned out.

I ordered mine from TacticalWorks.com