• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage 10FP [308] stock recommendation

GarandFan

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio, USA
I have a Savage 10FP-SR in .308 winchester, using a Leupold Mark IV, and I have been very pleased with the rifle overall and the scope [ranges in my area are limited, but it is dead-on at 100 yards, I can put one round in the top loop of the 8 and then put the next one in the bottom loop, put a round dead on the X, then the left corner of the X, and so forth]... However, I am having trouble getting consistent cheek placement and I feel the stock is a bit wobbly and it is sort of a weak point in the overall system. The scope mount is pretty decent but I also feel things are a bit loose or coming loose and I think part of this might be the mount and part is the stock.

It is the factory/standard stock.

Any recommendations for swapping out the stock?

I want to be able to continue using a USGI web-sling for sling supported prone. My general preference is shooting from a pack, followed by sling supported prone, followed by prone with bipod, followed by sling supported standing or sling supported seated.

Summary-

Rifle- 10/10- love it
Scope- 10/10- love it
Mount - 7/10 - strongly like it
Stock - 4/10- barely adequate and not thrilled with it

I put mine in an MPA lite. Swapping the barrel with a short 22” carbon fiber 6.5 creed to build me a lightweight PRS rifle.

I have my 10FP in a Manners MCS T4. It shoots like I a lazer. Another option would be to on Stocky's websiteand see if theres something you like.

I own a 10FP from 2001 that is several revisions older than the current 10FP line. It was factory pillar bedded for me in a McMillan A3 Tactical stock at the time, and used for F Open shooting, which differs in some detail from sling supported shooting. I still own the rifle, and had used it for several years of shooting 1000yd F Open at Bodines in PA.

I believe, however, that if you were to contact McMillan direct with your specific requirements, they could find your solution.

Greg

If price and time line is of no concern.
Conventional stocks
1) Manners T4A
2) McMillan A5 adjustable

If you don't want to spend that much
The B&C stocks are solid and a great value and the CHOATE A5 clone is as well.
If you get any flex out of either of those you are trying to break something.

For sling shooting the CHOATE stock has swiveling studs on both sides front and back.

If you are looking to upgrade the base the Badger Ordanance bases are really good, that's all I have tried on savage and rem 700 rifles but I'm sure there are others of equal quality.

For your style of shooting, I think the B&C M40 style stock answers your needs.
The tactical medalist 6 is also a very nice option.
As far as your cheek weld, that can be addressed with a stock pack and an old mouse pad

I rolled the dice on an LRP take off HS Precision stock and really like it for my ergos, YMMV.