• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Savage 10fp 5R Range report and question about groups.

Kilo-Sierra

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2011
Oklahoma
Pretty happy with the gun, and was hoping yall could help me with something, I shot my new rifle for the first time yesterday, and I liked what I saw. There were a decent amount of inconsistencies and I think they were me. I could not get comfortable behind the bench, and couldn't get prone, so had to kinda make do with the bench.

Info is Rifle: Savage 10fp .308, 5R 1-11.25 20 inch barrel.
Scope: Vortex PST 4-16x50 MOA/MOA
Load: 41.5 grains of IMR 4895 pushing a 168 BTHP

5 shot groups at 100
image_1361344611581408.jpg

image-77156774.jpg

3 shot groups at 200
image-1011870939.jpg

image-722608139.jpg

I am a bit new, though not completely, at precision shooting, so I am happy to blame some of the flyers on me. Really hoping it's me to be honest, cause if so it looks like I have a heck of a rifle, and load for 6-800 yards.

Please let me know what you think.

Fliers could definitely be you, but don't be afraid to experiment with loads. My 10fp with factory barrel is sub .5 moa with varget and 178gr amax. My 10 shot group at 100yds yesterday was .76" and I'm no expert. Have fun, savages have great potential

Tried a couple loads of Varget behind some 178 bthp but they wouldn't group well. What load do you use?

Tried a couple loads of Varget behind some 178 bthp but they wouldn't group well. What load do you use?

My load is Lapua brass, 43.0grs Varget, 178gr Hornady Amax, Federal 210M, loaded .020" off the lands. I never even tried any other powder since Varget worked so well. I have used several different brands of brass and this load performs in all of them. Your load looks like it has potential, especially if those fliers are pilot's error.

It's a savage, so like all other savages, they loosen up a bit when you first break them in. Check your scope base screws, that's what happen to me. Then, check your action screws. I also agree, you need to work on your posture but trigger pull is largely underrated. Make sure to pull straight back and don't release till all the commotion has stopped.

I just got a lead sled fcx for my birthday (from my girlfriend!) For exactly this reason. I've been working up loads and getting flyers like yours ever since i started reloading 2 years ago. I'm fine with it being me, but i want to know for sure. But i wouldn't be surprised if my savage isn't a 1/2 MOA rifle either. My rifle shoots about 1 MOA with almost any hand load i throw at it, but the flyers are inconsistent.

Make sure you have your eye relief set right. Lay down behind your rifle and close your eyes before you put your cheek on the stock. Open your eyes and your scope should look clear If you have to move your head forward/backward you need to remount your scope. Do this at the highest and lowest powers and ind a happy medium.

Actually shooting .5 MOA consistently is not as easy as many internet warriors make it seem. It takes a good rifle, optics, a good shooter, and good ammo. Your groups are not bad at all for a new rifle fresh out of the box, so don't get down on yourself. Confidence is key! The load you're using is a well known performer, so just make sure everything is being put together consistently and keep practicing. My SPS Varmint drills sub .5 moa groups with that load at 100-300 yards very consistently (I use H-4895 because it meters better). I've never owned a Savage, but I also haven't seen many that wouldn't shoot lights out. As you get used to the rifle, and perhaps with a little load tweaking you're groups will begin to shrink. I've recently been using 43.5 gn of RL15 under a 178 A-Max and a BR2 lately, and it's been performing quite well.

Keep at it, and you'll get the results you desire.

Check and re torque all mechanical fasteners in your system, Give barrel a cleaning, confirm barrel free float, shoot a couple sighters to re foul barrel, grab a box of FGMM (control group rounds). Adjust parallax, shoot 4, 5 shot groups...take your time, as in 1 minute plus in between rounds. Measure results, thats pretty much what your system is capable of. Now, after this, don't shoot groups anymore :). shooting groups is an exercise in futility. Instead of shooting groups, get a 1/2 inch round black stamp from stationary store. Stamp a large piece of butcher paper wherever you like and however many times you like. Aim for the center of the stamps. Way more fun than shooting groups!
When this gets boring...pick a dot for your POA and maintain that POA. Dial your turrets to match what you measured in the reticle from dot to dot and maintain the same POA, This is a good way to add interest to the ole 100 yard range.

Make sure your parralax is set properly. If you can move your head a bit and see the reticle move, you need to adjust the parralax so there is no movement in the reticle. Sounds simple, but if not done properly, it sure can mess up groups!

+1 on the parallax, two different "groups" (or more) with one point of aim is the indicator for that one, check cheek weld and parallax.... (After making sure everything is tight with a new rifle after a few rounds of course!)