• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10FP Stock Upgrade

xaquinn

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2012
United States
Basically, I recently got out of the Corps and have been missing shooting. A friend got me started on long range precision so I just bought a base Savage Model 10 FP .308 Win, with Weaver 20 MOA base, TPS TSR 30mm rings and SWFA SS 12x42. Took it out and shoot a loose zero and did some 100yd 1/2" dot drills, and I love it. I am definitely looking to upgrade my stock to a McMillan A4 or H-s Precision. I want to improve accuracy, but adjustable cheek comb is a must. But that is besides the point. Most of these stock upgrades have magazine wells.

Do I need to convert my action from a blind mag to a detachable mag for the new stock to work?

Even if it is not an immediate upgrade when I purchase a stock, I am still going to want to eventually get a detachable mag system just for convenience.

What do I need to get for my savage to do this myself, and how difficult will it be?
Does the mag system depend on the stock I get?

Re: Savage 10FP Stock Upgrade

+1 on the CDI bottom metal.

It's not difficult to inlet the stock IF YOU HAVE A VERTICAL MILL, but forget the dremel-approach. I believe Jeff @ CDI charges $65 to do the work to your stock. To me, that's pretty much a no-brainer.

I have a really nice stock for sale for a Savage, take a look:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...541#Post3627541

If you order a McMillan or Manners, they offer factory inletting for CDI's bottom metal (which works great on Savages and is what I and just about everybody else will recommend).

If you get an HS Precision, you might want to confirm with Jeff @ CDI if his metal will drop into a HS stock cut for Savage factory DBM.

And if you get a blind mag stock, CDI will inlet it for $60 and turn it around VERY quickly.

CDI is the way to go. I got a choate tactical with the factory bottom metal for a good price so I am running a Dark Eagle 10 round mag and 2 factory 5 rounders. Get behind any stock you are thinking about to make sure it is right for you (if possible). I loke my choate but the lop is a bit short for me. Also make sure you know your action screw spacing so you get the correct stock for the rifle. the 10fp came in a 4.2" stagerfeed and the current 4.4" centerfeed.