• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage 10FP

Re: savage 10FP

What kind of shape is it in?That is agreat price......imo buy it.As far as aftermarket parts well take a look at this.
15u3yx.jpg

308 is never a good 1000yd gun. It can get there but that is at the outer end of its envelope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chip01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thing has a ridiculous thick barrel. Is that good. </div></div>

Do you happen to know what brand of barrel it is?Look for a manufacture on the side of the barrel.Take the bolt out and take a peek down the bore see if you can see any obivous defects if you or he has a bore light even better.....

I'm pretty sure its the factory barrel. Its like 4in around. I compared it to a new savage model 12 and it didn't look any different than a new gun as far as wear and it has a 26in barrel. I bought it. 320 I couldn't lose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teambarlar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">post pics of it </div></div>

What he said......Either way you got a bargain!

ya grab it for sure thats a good price. you pay like 600 for a new one. is the barrel what comes stock with the 10fp or is it aftermarket? the stock barrel is pretty thick compared to most other rifles on the shelf at gun stores

Well the pics will have to wait till tomorrow. Didnt have a chance to go by there and pick it up. Any scope, ring, stock and base recomendations would be nice. This is the first gun im buying for long range shooting. I have leupold 56mm's on all three of my hunting rifles but I was thinking of going with a nightforce. Not sure wich one. I wanna shoot it up to 1000yds.

I have a NF 3.5-15 on my 308 and it works well. 1000 yards is pushing the limits of this cartridge, with the 155's it seems to be the best thing I have found for my rifle. Stocks I would recommend one with an adjustble cheek piece. I like badger rings, but tps are good if you are on a budget. Best of luck..

EGW HD 20MOA rail, Warne 213M split rings, will help you keep everything nice and low. Stay with a 50MM objective scope if possible to avoid a mile high cheek weld. Adjustable cheek piece along with a stock pack and you will be good to go.

Welcome to the world of Savage... it's a nice place to be!!

DK

I bought a 20" savage with the new digital accu stock, fitted it with nf2.5-10. I could not be more impressed with the accuracy. So far it likes the 165 game kings the best. I shot them out to 600 over the weekend with no problems, maintaining less that 1moa groups. Nothing like my gap 308, but for the money it sure shoots well. +1 for savage rigs

If it's new, it's a steal. If it's used it may still be, as long as the crown and throat still have signficant life left. IMHO, the 10FP is a very good basic LR rifle. The .308 chambering is also a good starter caliber for distances out to 1000yd, which is where it starts to get marginal; but don't worry, it will go the distance with good ammo.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308 is never a good 1000yd gun. It can get there but that is at the outer end of its envelope.</div></div>
Hmmm The U.S. military has made many a kill at 1100 and 1200 meters with the .308. Though I have not made a kill quiet that far, I have put a 190 lb whitetail deer down where he stood at 812 yds with nice exit wound using a 155 gr Lapua Scenar.

nice snag, thats a deal. there is one in a shop here with a choat varmint stock thats $799. one thing, in this series, the 10fp only has a 24" barrel or a 20" in the precision carbine or the model with the choate folder. they should have done some better research. have fun and post some pics when you can

467, nice looking rifle. i have one just like that.

Axeman, I love your posts, because I can sit there and watch that girl forever! Anyway back on track.

Thats a great price for a savage, escpecially if its in good shape still, if nothing else, you can rebarrel it, new stock, new trigger and your good to go! Congrats on your new purchase, you will be happy with it!

ETA: After reading here for so long, and having my own savage, I have come to notice a trend, Savages like Scenars, just seems to be a trend I am noticing. But if you arent sure about the scenars in them, try bergers, load them into the lands .003.

I thought I'd just throw this out. I have a Savage 10FLP (left hand) and have had it since 1995. It has the factory barrel, factory stock, Warne 1pc base & rings, Super Sniper SS10X42M, and an aftermarket extended tactical bolt handle. I shoot it every weekend and it has never failed me. Easily shoots sub-MOA @ 100yards. My 200yard groups can be covered with a 50cent piece. It's a very accurate rifle and has prompted me to buy two more Savages.

That's a super price for a moderately used one. I would have snapped it up in a heartbeat!