• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage 10pc .308

bluealtered

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2009
out back oregon
I thought i would throw this out here simply because it might be of interest to some of the members. I found this in the L.E. section at the savage site, and while it doesn't fit the long range niche that a lot of the shooters do here, it is non the less a fun 5-600yd+ rifle. And it meets my first two reqirements,inexpensive and fairly accurate out of the box.

It is a heavy barrel carbine (20") it comes with the accutrigger,digital camo and the accustock which is why i bought it. My shooting is divided between predator hunting in heavy timber/sagebrush, and benchrest at 300-500yd for the most part, this fills that spot very well.

The accustock is a very good improvement over the old stock, and does make the rifle a lot more rigid than the old style tuperware. At my first outing with this and a new scope, the scope went away at 55rds. of stock 150gr loads, before it went south it was starting to do two out of three touching at 100yds. The second time out, in between rain storms i was able to get it to settle down some more and while i only got another 25rds through it before being rained out, it was starting to do three touching at 100yds.

This was with a old bushnell banner 6-18x50, that works ok up to about 12x. At the end of each shoot i spend the last rounds on the 6" plate at 342yds, thats as far as you can go here. Since this unit has a four rd. mag, and using holdover i put the last three out of four on the plate, the miss was me drifting left. So all in all it's going to work out fine for what i do. (this was with some 125gr sp that i had put together)

I guess i should say that it comes in at 7lbs 12ozs. without base or scope, and with the new bushnell 3200 elite (5-15x50) that showed up last night, and just a set of two piece weaver bases, should come in around the ten pound mark. This scope doesn't have much in the moa so theres a 20moa base coming, but for now if i get time today, i'll throw the new scope on the o-moa base and head back out to finish breaking it in.

The rifle, scope and base can be put together for about a $1000, which is pretty cheap, and while it doesn't fit the long range profile of most rifles here, it would be a h*ll of a urban rifle, and very good hunting/carry/just for fun rifle. blue

Re: savage 10pc .308

glad you posted this. i'm trying to decide between the 2009 10 pc or the 10 fcp in .308. i'll have to wait for either one but the pc will be in first. would like to have both (lol). mine would be for multi-use. great for hunting, want to learn long range shooting, and just for fun. there's not much info out there on the 10pc and i wondered about accuracy over 500yds? looking forward to mere of your range reports! any pics?

Hi hoytshooter, I did get the new scope on, (3200elite 5-15x50) and with the o-base on, the unit comes in at 9lbs 12ozs, still very carriable. I got back out to the range and climbed up the hill and painted the plates, 6" 12" 24" white at the 342yd line on the way down i painted the small 4" swinging plate at the 300yd line.

After posting the 1"x 20 group of targets at 100yd, i got setteled in behind my custom rest, (a folgers plastic coffee can with a sandbag in it and a sandbag on top) and of course had to do the 6" at 342 first, the rifle has a 100rds through it now and working great, the glass is perfect for this 300yd range, and so with 2" holdover to the top of the t-post the 6" is on i was able to nail it 4 out of 4 with a cold barrel. (125gr sierra sp, l.c.(68) brass, imr [email protected])

Since everything was clicking, i went down to the 4" swinger at 300yd. and got it 4out of 4. I'm having a perfect morning and start humming the mack davis tune "hard to be humble". I figure i'll knock out the 1" targets, i mean i shoot orange 1" dots every time i go out, nothing to it.

I shoot the first 1", and miss by 2", i shoot the next one and get inside the ring, the next was a flyer to the right, now i'm changing the words to the tune to, it's easy to to be humble. I ran out of shooting time,(probably a good thing) at 12 dots. I got one dead center, and five all together in the circle, out of 12, a couple of really good/bad flyers, (take your pick). Still a great day, the first thing i did when i got home was print up more of the 1" targets, that was fun.

The rifle shoots much better than i can, and when i get a chance i will get to a 500yd range and try it there, it could be a 500yd coyote too, which ever comes first, hope this helps some. blue

thanks blue. sounds like its gonna be hard for me to pass on when my local store says they're dealer has it, they can get it if i still want it. the 10fcp might just be my second long range rifle at some point. store is ninth on the list to get one anyway (4th on the 10pc backorder) so who knows how long a wait that could be? i'm getting more and more excited about learning to shoot distance as i continue to read more and more about it online. i'm sure the rifle will outperform my skills for some time anyway.

I looked at a lot of places, both on line and in my state and surrounding states, as well as the dealer list from savage. I did find them at a few places, the only one who had them listed at a decent price was budsgunshop.com however they would never e-mail me back, or pick up the phone, so they simply lost a customer.

All the other places wanted list + 10-70% over list. You should if the dealer is honest, be able to get this for around $700, i paid $710 here at home in a small town. I should add that this rifle will shoot much better than 5-600yd, it's simply up to the shooter to learn the rifle. I shoot coyotes at 500yd with a savage model 11 sporter barreled .223 and 50gr vmax. I just know the rifle and my holdover needed. (and a little luck)

I don't see any reason why the 10pc won't go to 800yd or better with the right bullet/powder/glass combo, and lots of practice, practice, practice. blue

I have it's bigger cousin the 10FCP-K and have been impressed with it so far. Savage continues to step up to the plate.

Some old farts,(me) are to lazy or just don't care about pictures. You can find pics at savage or savageshooters.com there is a good layout of the 10pc at savageshooters.com

My reason for posting about this rifle is simply to share about another good tactical and affordable firearm, not to imply that i am a great marksman. I do have good days, they are just getting harder to come by as i get older. blue

ps, hydro556, there is a post at savageshooters.com by unforgiven it's "savage 10pc- pics and initial testing" that will show what the 10pc looks like, his scope does fit the tactical profile much better than my elite3200. At the moment it's on page 13 there in the bolt action section. He also has a post a few days later about setting a meet record with that rifle, you should be able find that by doing a search of unforgiven, hope that helps. blue

i found a dealer with 2 fcp's in stock for $835.00. told me 800 if i pay cash. my most frequented local store gave me a price of 708.00 and an unknown wait. they'll sell me the 10pc for 650.00 and should be available from their dealer any day!That's the store with my best hook up. after i get mine, i'll be willing to share the store name if anyone else thinks thats a good price. sound right to me.

hoytshooter, northland shooter supply at savageshooters.com has them, (when in stock) for $645+20 shipped to your ffl. Thats the best price i have found so far, call him and see if he has any. (that could be a members price, i don't know) List on that rifle from savage is $829, your dealer is trying to hose you. You should be able to get it for about $700. Good luck, blue

works out a wash at my end. $650+45.50tax delivered from local store. $645+20(+30fee at my ffl). (most ffl's around here charge $35.00). wonder who'll get it in stock first??????? (i can probably come up with the extra .50cents). thanks for your input though! always nice to have another set of eyes looking around. can't wait to have one from somewhere!
ever shoot any of the serbian pp ammo in .308? i shoot the .223 and love it for the price.

No i haven't, i got back into reloading after a twenty year break and would rather roll my own. I'll keep looking for the best price. I got to shoot with a friend yesturday, who's a camp perry shooter. i sat there with my spotting scope and watched as he did 10 shots, one hole at 100yd.

Dam*, the best i ever did was 3shots, one hole, and that was the best day of my life. Oh well, some guys got it, and some don't, i know which one i am. blue

ah, correct that ".223" to 5.56. what was i thinking? probably the great deal i was buying on pmc bronze last week. that was .223.
I would love to learn to load but alot of people have told me lately that reloading costs have gone so high that sale prices work out the same without the labor. but still, i could see that as another hobby i'd enjoy. saving all my brass for now.

15 cents for powder, 25 for bullet, 5 for primer.
Give another 5 for knowing how to do.
For 50 cents, you can come up with a load for your gun that shoots better than any match ammo.

Last July Hornady 168 a-max match was 30.00 a box.
Where can you find, and how much now?

TAP was cheaper.
Tap is now more, and they don't have match.

I'll keep rolling.

(Sorry for off topic)

Looking on one of my calculator programs (lee), i come up with $4.80 per 20, for my .308 using my brass. If you can find any ammo on the shelf here, (it comes in at 10am on thursday and is gone by 10:15) the very cheapest is remington at $17.00 per 20.

It's still cheaper, and better to roll your own. blue

sounds like the perfect hobby to accompany my learning to shoot long distance. now to find the right set up (brand, accessories etc).
plus it'll give me something to do during those dark hrs after bowhunting when it gets dark way too early. i already shoot 10mil, .40s&w, .38 and 5.56/.223 pistols and 30.06 and 30.30 rifles so those savings would add up quick! time for more research. thanks for your info!

When i started loading again i looked around to see what had changed in twenty years. What i found was that rcbs was still the same, yet leeprecision.com had made huge changes and was way ahead of the game for "cheap" reloading gear. Since i'm on a fixed income i ended up getting a lee deluxe four hole turret press, midwayusa.com has them for $99.99 when on sale, (and when in stock) thats about $200 less than a rcbs, and one hell of a lot faster.

We seem to shoot about the same loads, for loading your pistols and 5.56/.223 you can't beat the turret press it will crank them out as fast as you want. When you want to go to the larger rifle rds. just take out the rotating rod and load away, you have all your dies mounted on one turret, and you simply rotate around until you have a loaded round. You might want to get the lee shooter program as well it's cheap and is a good starting place, i would also get the lyman 49th edition reloading manual, and read it one end to the other.

There are of course more expensive units out there, this is simply a way to start the addiction cheaply. For the amount of a rcbs single stage press, you can have everything you need (dies, powder, bullets, turrets etc.)to be loading with the lee deluxe four hole. If you buy extra turrets, you can mount all your dies up, and simply change out turrets when you want to change calibers.(that takes about a second to do)

Take a look at leeprecision.com and midwayusa.com while your at lee get a catolog sent to you. I'm sure that other members here will have some good places to look as well. blue

looks like lee has the set up i'll need. that will go on my list of wants now. thanks for all your info. i put $$down on my 10pc so now i'm shopping for a scope. looking for quality in a budget price. i found 2 (maybe's) on swfa used inventory. one is an IOR 4x24 tactical in .308. the other is a nikon 4-12x42 laser rangefinder. any opinions on these scopes and specifically for the 10pc? i'm new to long range shooting and this will be my first rig. thanks for your thoughts.

I'm afaid i won't be much help on good scopes, the best i can afford is the 3200 elite type from bushnell. I do have a 3200 5-15x50, it works great but doesn't have much moa. A egw 20moa base helps a lot.

I have a 3200 elite 5-15x40 tactical coming, it has a little more moa, but will still need a 20moa base to stretch it's legs.

Theres a lot of sharp glass people here, it's one of the reasons i came here. You can find reasonable prices at theopticszone.com they may have something that will work for you. blue