• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10TR .308 - What is this thing?

Thanks Ring for that link, nice write up. I hope that was incorrect info though re: Savage discontinuing this rifle. I understood this rife was meant for LEO and thus the full features and absurdly low price. What will we, I mean cops do now? :)

Hi, everyone, this is Sergey from PreciseShooter.

I have received the information about discontinuing the rifle from Savage directly, they said that they will fulfill the current orders from the distributors, and this would be it. The orders are still trickling in though (I've just got an allocation for a couple more from my distributor; no, I am not selling them :)).

To be honest, given the price and features that this rifle has, the pricing on the rest of Savage lineup makes zero sense. So I was kinda relieved to hear that it will be discontinued, because who would buy 10FCP-K for $800 (or 10fp-sr for 650, or...) if you could buy this rifle for $575 (as the post above)?

BTW, if you are looking for 10fp in 223, a REALLY good option is 12FV. Same rifle, a lot cheaper.

Thanks solyanik. But I would have preferred Savage just lower the prices of all the others.

:)

They also have a limited run on a 10P. 18" 5R threaded barrel with the same giant bolt handle and stock. Doesnt have the rail though.

The rail is cheap enough. Its the accustock and heavy barrel that really makes the TR a great value. I think mine 3 mo ago was 450. Gotta find the right dealer that doesnt mark em up too much. :)

Hi, everyone, this is Sergey from PreciseShooter.

I have received the information about discontinuing the rifle from Savage directly, they said that they will fulfill the current orders from the distributors, and this would be it. The orders are still trickling in though (I've just got an allocation for a couple more from my distributor; no, I am not selling them :)).

To be honest, given the price and features that this rifle has, the pricing on the rest of Savage lineup makes zero sense. So I was kinda relieved to hear that it will be discontinued, because who would buy 10FCP-K for $800 (or 10fp-sr for 650, or...) if you could buy this rifle for $575 (as the post above)?

BTW, if you are looking for 10fp in 223, a REALLY good option is 12FV. Same rifle, a lot cheaper.

Got a few on the way myself, haven't seen them in stock for a while, pounced on them when I had the chance. That sucks they are going to be discountined, that is one rifle that will be hard to beat for the price..

Only difference is that FV has 26" barrel, FP has 22" barrel. The price difference I see is around $50-100, depending on where you're buying.

I think a better deal than either one is the .223 Hawg Hunter, which is $200-250 cheaper than the FP. That's enough to get a bell/carlson replacement.

You're gonna be ditching the tuppeware stock on any one of these 3.

This is the Savage rifle I bought awhile back. I am just now in the process of loading up some .308 ammo for it.

I bought one several months ago Just like this & the rail was in it?
They also have a limited run on a 10P. 18" 5R threaded barrel with the same giant bolt handle and stock. Doesnt have the rail though.

I finally found one, is the 24" but man I happy I finally got one. Parts are on the mail, as soon as I put it together pictures will be posted. Stay tune!

I had the choice between the 20" and 24" and chose the 24" so I could more easily stretch it out to 1,000 yards.

I finally got mine out to the range for a quick zero session. I can say im happy with it. I was totally rusty but I think its easily capable of .5 moa if you do your part. I was not a .5 shooter the other day lol

I finally got mine out to the range for a quick zero session. I can say im happy with it. I was totally rusty but I think its easily capable of .5 moa if you do your part. I was not a .5 shooter the other day lol

Good to know. I'm in the process of loading up some ammo for mine. Will be interesting to see how she does.

DSC_0879.jpg
DSC_0880.jpg

Anybody have any suggestions for an MOA base for this thing, or is the rail already Adj for elevation for long range?

It's not.

I went with Weaver 20moa base. Very cheap and fits precisely!

Do you have the same rifle as the one in this thread? If so, which weaver mount did you go with? Looks like they list one for the Savage 110 with accutrigger long action, and Savage 110 with accutrigger short action.

I have no idea if this is a short or long action, or how to tell the difference!

Do you have the same rifle as the one in this thread? If so, which weaver mount did you go with? Looks like they list one for the Savage 110 with accutrigger long action, and Savage 110 with accutrigger short action.

I have no idea if this is a short or long action, or how to tell the difference!

The .308 will be a short action. Seekins and Badger make 20MOA rails for these rifles also.

Yes, I have a 10TR 20" in AccuStock with DBM, etc.

This is exactly that one (last one for sale, same seller I bought from):
Weaver extended Multi-Slot Tactical Base Savage 10 Series Short Action 99496 (20 MOA canted base)
New Weaver Extended Multi Slot Tactical Base Savage 10 Series Short Action 99496 | eBay

I used seekins precision on mine. Well worth the money $90. Don't settle on cheap bases, they will bind your glass to your rifle. My advice, for what is worth. Hope you find yours. I posted some pictures above, let me know if your want to see more before you make your decision.

I used seekins precision on mine. Well worth the money $90. Don't settle on cheap bases, they will bind your glass to your rifle. My advice, for what is worth. Hope you find yours. I posted some pictures above, let me know if your want to see more before you make your decision.

Not trying to be a dick, maybe it's just the photo, but why does it look like your base is on backwards?

No worries man you're 100% right. I mounted wrong the first time and took a picture before realizing my mistake. I uploaded the wrong picture. Thanks for letting me know

Lol. Been there and done that. I have a bunch of chrono data from my 20" with 175 HPBT Matchking loaded with Re15 and 4046 in FGMM brass. I would be interested in comparing data with someone with a 24" tube.

I got the rifle a week ago and basically just got it together. As soon as I get the chance to break in/ zeroed I'll let you know as I begin my data collection. How does yours like the 175? I'm fairly new to savage platform. I got this rifle out an amazing deal, too good to let go.

Out of the 20" 5R barrel I am getting 2600 fps from Fed 175 GMM and around .75" groups. My barrel shoots the 175 Matchking with 41.5grs of Re15 at 2475-2530 fps depending on temp, with groups averaging the same. I just started developing loads with 4046 and with 41.7 grs I average 2580 fps with 10 shot groups of 1 inch. These loads were chrono'd with a Pro Chrono Digital, and groups were at 100yds. I used the Re15 load at a John MCPhee class this fall, and was pleased with the results. I have also used this load with MGM poppers out to 500 yds, and with IPSC 2/3 targets out to 800yds with good results.

The .308 will be a short action. Seekins and Badger make 20MOA rails for these rifles also.
Thanks for the info!

Yes, I have a 10TR 20" in AccuStock with DBM, etc.

This is exactly that one (last one for sale, same seller I bought from):
Weaver extended Multi-Slot Tactical Base Savage 10 Series Short Action 99496 (20 MOA canted base)
New Weaver Extended Multi Slot Tactical Base Savage 10 Series Short Action 99496 | eBay
Thanks brother! Much appreciated!

Thanks for the heads up. Took a look at the ratings for the Weaver 20 MOA base and it had a 4.9/5 rating from 99,486 reviews. Sounds like a solid mount! Reviews for Weaver Extended Multi Slot Base, Remington 700 Long Action, 20MOA - 99486 - View or add your review!

I'm hoping to get mine to the range soon. My local range is expanding their rifle range. Good because now we get more distance but is temporarily closed.
I have several loads planned, will see how the rifle likes them. I shot 700s most of my life so I need to get to know savage. Thanks for sharing your info. I soon as I get a chance I'll send some data your way.

Hello, I am a new member to this forum, and just ordered a 10TR from a Canadian retailer, and it will ship in January, this is my first long ranged scoped riffle, and I'm pretty excited to get into this area of shooting. I am just wondering what you guys are riding works best atop of this beast? I am leaning toward the Nikon m-308 4-16x42. I'm looking to spend around $500 tops for my first scope I'll upgrade later if need be. Also, I am very certain that I will be acquiring a muzzle break, but which one? I understand I need a 5/8-24 threaded one, but theres a million other numbers that are being thrown at me and I don't know what I need beyond that (and of course a proper sized exit hole). I really like the look/performance of the one that come stock on my buddy's 10 FCP-K and may just order a replacement one of those and throw er' on. Pics of the gun will be posted upon arrival.

James

James, first welcome to the forum. Second, congratulations for your purchase. Good system with nice features for the money. In regards to your questions:
Scope: if you only have available around $500 for a glass, I highly encourage you to take a look of the SWFA 10X42. Is an amazing scope, very sharp image, well built, track very nice and matching reticle/turrets. You can buy it for around 300-350 bucks. Don't be fooled by the price. Is a good quality glass, better purchase option than your current choice. Just my humble recommendation.
Break: It's very true, the amount of break on the Market is overwhelming. Before you make a decision you'll have to think if you'll every run your system supressed. If you will, then you'll have to match the break to the potential suppressor. If you won't, I've tried JP industries and Precision Armament M11. I like precision better both in performance and system fit.
I hope this help some to make your decision.

James, first welcome to the forum. Second, congratulations for your purchase. Good system with nice features for the money. In regards to your questions:
Scope: if you only have available around $500 for a glass, I highly encourage you to take a look of the SWFA 10X42. Is an amazing scope, very sharp image, well built, track very nice and matching reticle/turrets. You can buy it for around 300-350 bucks. Don't be fooled by the price. Is a good quality glass, better purchase option than your current choice. Just my humble recommendation.
Break: It's very true, the amount of break on the Market is overwhelming. Before you make a decision you'll have to think if you'll every run your system supressed. If you will, then you'll have to match the break to the potential suppressor. If you won't, I've tried JP industries and Precision Armament M11. I like precision better both in performance and system fit.
I hope this help some to make your decision.
Very helpful, I'm wanting some glass with variable zoom though, I shoot a look in close range (while my buddys are using the 12g's to hit skeet) and I feel like 10x would just be too much. Fun fact about Canada suppressors are prohibited(we have some pretty stupid gun laws up here), so I'm not worried about a brake that will comply with a suppressor. I was looking at some JP's but I red them machined correct?

My 3.5 year old and I were trolling local gun shops this morning for year end deals, and one of them had a Black Friday ad (that I somehow missed) for Savage 20" 10TRs...for under 4 bills.

When I saw it I immediately asked about them, and when the guy went back and checked he found ONE 24" 10TR left with the sale pricing through today It did not have the EGW rail, and I need another rifle like a hole in the head (especially a 308 which I don't have much use for), but I'm afflicted with the "can't pass up a deal" gene so it followed me home today.

Guy told me they had 30 of them prior to the sale as "Nobody's beating down our door to buy a LE-only Savage" but once they were discontinued they offered them to the public at closeout prices.

I HATE that I didn't see that damn ad a month ago!!

My 3.5 year old and I were trolling local gun shops this morning for year end deals, and one of them had a Black Friday ad (that I somehow missed) for Savage 20" 10TRs...for under 4 bills.

When I saw it I immediately asked about them, and when the guy went back and checked he found ONE 24" 10TR left with the sale pricing through today It did not have the EGW rail, and I need another rifle like a hole in the head (especially a 308 which I don't have much use for), but I'm afflicted with the "can't pass up a deal" gene so it followed me home today.

Guy told me they had 30 of them prior to the sale as "Nobody's beating down our door to buy a LE-only Savage" but once they were discontinued they offered them to the public at closeout prices.

I HATE that I didn't see that damn ad a month ago!!

I think you'll be happy with it. I just got a sub 1/4" group with mine today @ 100 yds!

Reviving this thread to check in as another Savage 10TR owner.

Put about 60 rounds through it this past weekend. I was doing about .75" with hornady 168gr BTHP.

Its a sweet rifle!

whiskey: Grats :)
Hope you'll enjoy shooting it more and more :D

ALL: Guys, have you tried reloading 178gr AMax for 10TR?
What was your OAL with this bullet touching the grooves?

I measured OAL 2.811" using loose bullet in case (trimmed to 2.005").
But I expected a little more...?
Do I make a mistake or is it really so close to 2.800"?

Can anyone share his/her own measurement?

Thanks!

New Savage 308s have a MUCH shorter throat than 700s...

Yes they are! I have the smk 175s crammed way down. I would re barrel or lengthen the throat if it didn't shoot so good.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thanks, what OALs do you have with your bullets?

EDIT: Whoa! I just went through my browser Favs and found this - the very first review of 10TR I found online at that time:

PreciseShooter said:
I measured the cartridge OAL using Hornady's OAL gauge. One reason that Savages are so accurate is because they have chambers that match SAAMI specs perfectly: the measured cartridge OAL came to exactly 2.800", so I seated the bullet .005" off lands at 2.795".
Whole review @PreciseShooter.com

No kidding, popped up right after my question :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Could I take one of these Savage 10T rifles and drop it into an Accuracy International AICS stocks or are they predominately designed for Rem 700s?

Could I take one of these Savage 10T rifles and drop it into an Accuracy International AICS stocks

No, because the AICS offered for the Savage centerfeed short action is for top bolt release actions only.

You can convert a bottom bolt release (like the 10T/10P/10TR) to a top release with a little effort and maybe $5-10.

A 11 Hog Hunter, 10FP-SR, 12LRP, etc. will drop into an AICS just fine.

scimitar, do you have the savage sku for this rifle? i am interested in it

thanks

Here is a 308 Model 10 FCP-SR in a Mcmillan. Not on the website either. At my house though.
Perfect combo, weight, length, barrel profile, etc,
0924122155_zpsa4481990.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I just pick up one of the 10tr rifles. Nice rifle and really good features for the price. Haven't shot it yet. Wait on optics and some other goodies. I got the 24 inch model for $549.
What I have ordered
Swfa 3x15
Karsten cheek rest
Egw 20 moa base
Tps tsr low rings

No, because the AICS offered for the Savage centerfeed short action is for top bolt release actions only.

You can convert a bottom bolt release (like the 10T/10P/10TR) to a top release with a little effort and maybe $5-10.

A 11 Hog Hunter, 10FP-SR, 12LRP, etc. will drop into an AICS just fine.

Can you please elaborate how a bottom bolt release Savage can be converted so cheaply to side release?
I am itching for an AICS chassis.

Thanks guys. I'm going to go ahead and try to order a 10TR and later down the road save for an AICS stock and get the bolt release mod done. Cheers