• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 11 scout accuracy

dino1984

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2020
Hi,

I'm looking to buy Savage 11 scout for hunting. I want to use own reloads with Hornady 178gr ELD-X. Qestion is - what accuracy can I achieve from this rifle up to 220 yards? Ofcourse I ask about rifle capabilities.

220 yards is not a long shot, the rifle will shoot well enough to hunt at that distance.

If you are planning to use the open sights it is probably more a question of your own abilities.

Reactions: flyright
220 yards is not a long shot, the rifle will shoot well enough to hunt at that distance.

If you are planning to use the open sights it is probably more a question of your own abilities.
That's a good point. Open sights would be somewhat of a limiting factor at that distance... at least for me.

the rifle will shoot well enough to hunt at that distance.

How well? 1 MOA? SUB-MOA? Question if I will be able to hit a fox at 220 y, or Elk will be maximum of this rifle capability? For sure I will use optics, maybe tripod, that's why I am asking about rifle only.

Thanks in advance.

How well? 1 MOA? SUB-MOA? Question if I will be able to hit a fox at 220 y, or Elk will be maximum of this rifle capability? For sure I will use optics, maybe tripod, that's why I am asking about rifle only.

Thanks in advance.
Every rifle and ammo combination is different and it’s not like it has a really expensive expertly machined barrel.
Can’t make a blanket statement on accuracy.
I will certainly be able to hunt game properly at 200-300 yards
How well it shoots will be on you and finding a load it likes.

Thanks in advance.
It is quite hard to say, but many many newer production rifles today are easily capable of 1 MOA. I have never used a savage but I read quite often that they tend to shoot well. I don't see a reason this rifle would be any different.

Your hand load ability and if the gun does well with the eld-x are all wild cards. I wish there was a straight answer but there are too many variables to say "this rifle will shoot 1 MOA guaranteed."

A fox at 220 yards should be no problem at all assuming everything is in order.

Today's barrels are a far cry from even a decade ago. For hunting use you should be fine. I've never seen a Savage that shot poorly. (not that they don't exist. It's mass produced after all.) The triggers are fine for that kind of work. I've used a Savage in .270 for every deer I've ever taken from 100-400 yards and I have no complaints.