• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 11??

TB2Blazer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2010
Cleveland, GA
I have done some searching on here and have seen that people seem to gravitate towards the Savage 10 and 12's but I'm curious as to the quality of the model 11. What is the difference between the savage 11 and 10 or 12? Is the 11 action just as good as the 10 or 12? I have a line on a brand new Savage 11 in .260 that I could get for about $350 and didn't know if that was a good deal or not. I was looking for a good platform to build from and since I already have a Remington AAC-SD that I built I thought I would try a Savage for the next go round.

The action is the same. It's barrel/stock options and package options that can be had with the 11 that can't be had with the 10 and 12. Part of it is that Savage morphed through designations a lot. Originally twenty years ago, everything was a "110". then "short" came along, then varmint, then package, etc.

The action itself is the same between Models 10-11-12-14-16 except for finish*, with the exception of WSMs and "Target" actions which are large shank.

*some in a given series (Say Model 10, for example) are top bolt release while others are bottom bolt release...

The action is the same. It's barrel/stock options and package options that can be had with the 11 that can't be had with the 10 and 12. Part of it is that Savage morphed through designations a lot. Originally twenty years ago, everything was a "110". then "short" came along, then varmint, then package, etc.
NO! They are not the same action!

The action itself is the same between Models 10-11-12-14-16 except for finish*, with the exception of WSMs and "Target" actions which are large shank.
*some in a given series (Say Model 10, for example) are top bolt release while others are bottom bolt release...
Again, not the same action!

Savage 10/11/12 series rifles use three varieties of short action: 4.275" action screw spacing with 'standard' shank, and 4.40" spacing with 'standard' shank, and 4.40" spacing with large shank. They are not the same!
I've owned a Savage 10, Savage 11 LRH, and two Savage 12 LRP. Not counting any of the cosmetic differences between actions such as detachable magazine/blind magazine/ports/handle,bolt release, the Savage 10 was 4.275" spacing with 'standard' shank, the 11 LRH was 4.40" with 'standard' shank, and the 12 LRP was 4.40" with large shank.

Oh, but they're all the same. :confused:

At any rate, misinformation aside, the Savage 11 is a good hunting rifle series. Past 10 shots, the lightweight barrel will be too hot to stay accurate and long distances.

Savage 11??

NO! They are not the same action!

Again, not the same action!

Savage 10/11/12 series rifles use three varieties of short action: 4.275" action screw spacing with 'standard' shank, and 4.40" spacing with 'standard' shank, and 4.40" spacing with large shank. They are not the same!
I've owned a Savage 10, Savage 11 LRH, and two Savage 12 LRP. Not counting any of the cosmetic differences between actions such as detachable magazine/blind magazine/ports/handle,bolt release, the Savage 10 was 4.275" spacing with 'standard' shank, the 11 LRH was 4.40" with 'standard' shank, and the 12 LRP was 4.40" with large shank.

Oh, but they're all the same. :confused:

At any rate, misinformation aside, the Savage 11 is a good hunting rifle series. Past 10 shots, the lightweight barrel will be too hot to stay accurate and long distances.

Since 2006, all Savage short actions have been 4.41" centerfeed (exceptions being the 3.44" PTA) and all are small/standard shank except WSMs and Target actions.

Not misinformation, fact.

A brand new Model 11 in 260 will be a centerfeed small shank action.

Last edited:
Just to make sure I understand you correctly, Savage 10/11/12/14/16 actions are all the same, except that they might have detachable magazine, or blind magazine, or no magazine whatsoever. They're all the same, except the barrel shank might be standard or large size. They're all the same, except for some years were 4.275" and others afterwards were 4.4". They're all the same actions, except some have an open top port, left port, right port, or both, lending to wide varieties of structural rigidity.

So they're all the same, unless they're not.

I lack the patience today to write a fucking dissertation on every variance of Savage short actions.

For the OP's purposes the 10-11-12 actions are the same, subject to caveats plainly stated upthread. If you can't read and comprehend both the OP's question and subsequent posts, that's your problem.

Since 2006, all Savage short actions have been 4.41" centerfeed (exceptions being the 3.44" PTA) and all are small/standard shank except WSMs and Target actions.

Not misinformation, fact.

A brand new Model 11 in 260 will be a centerfeed small shank action.

I concur.

Up until the mid nineties. All new Savages were model 110's. Then came the short action. 10-11-12-14-16 (but not in that order). 30-06/magnum length cases stayed in the 110-111-112-114-116 length actions. Then a 'large shank action was created for the WSM's. But when caliber is mentioned with the model number, one would know that. One would also know you have to change the bolt head to fit case. The screw spacing changed in '06 too. But, prior to and after that all short action lengths and diameters were the same. Prior to that the staggerfeed was used and after that the centerfeed was used. But, with a change of magazine, and the correct shank barrel you can put any short/medium length cartridge in any short action.

You might just relax and point out the minor differences that can easily be overcome (without gun-smithing I might add).

added:

Forgot to point out (again) you would have to change bolt heads if going from WSM to .473 or 'other exotics'. Again, without gunsmithing.

Also, FWIW, a skinny hot Savage barrel will outshoot a skinny hot Remmy or Win barrel any day of the week. The difference is in the process of how they rifle their barrels. Remmy and Win use the process that induces the most stress.

Last edited:
Just to make sure I understand you correctly, Savage 10/11/12/14/16 actions are all the same, except that they might have detachable magazine, or blind magazine, or no magazine whatsoever. They're all the same, except the barrel shank might be standard or large size. They're all the same, except for some years were 4.275" and others afterwards were 4.4". They're all the same actions, except some have an open top port, left port, right port, or both, lending to wide varieties of structural rigidity.

So they're all the same, unless they're not.
You're raging against an argument that nobody made.