• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110 BA 338 LAP

Re: Savage 110 BA 338 LAP

No problem with Badger 1 1/8" rings with a Premier Reticle 5X25 56. Tight, but works.

Up to VV recommended limit loads, plus a skosh (92.0gr/300 SMK, Winchester LRM primers, 0.015 jump), with N570. Zero signs of pressure. Bolt opens smooth as a baby's butt.

Love the rifle.

Chip

Mine came with the scope rail unattached in a separate plastic bag. It also came with the wrench to install it. Just tightened my down and moved on. Just surprised it didnt come with a case.
frown.gif

What kind of bipod do yall think is the best for this beast? I cant wait to get it out in the field.

I picked mine up for $1700 before taxes. If any of you are interested PM me and Ill give you the store name/location here in Texas.

Hey everyone figured this was as good as any thread to post for my first time. I just picked this rifle up as well and can’t wait to get out to the range. I went with the NF NXS 5.5-22x50 NPR-1 and Versa-pod bipod. Another forum member was nice enough to send me a couple boxes of black hills 300gr that I’ll use after break in. Going to throw some less expensive stuff for now and eventually reload. Just thought I’d say hi and share my excitement.

Anyone use TSR scope rings on it yet? Am looking into buying some. Should the 1" rings work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MRBLUEDOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hows the 110? any probs yet?</div></div>

I have heard of various screws backing out, so I will be going through with a fine tooth comb after I get back from shooting. Other then that, I haven't heard of any other issues.

Only 100 rounds through my Savage and so far very pleased.
Love the trigger, recoil is about the same as a 308 or less,
and so far getting good groups(but still trying to find a pet load) I think the BA110 is a great buy for the money and an excellent built factory rifle. Wish I had some trigger time behind a quality custom 338 to compare to.(GAP,RWS,etc)

New Lapua brass. Settled on 91.5 gr of VV570, 300 SMKs, chrony at ~2675 fps, elev 1200', temp 80F. Grouped 0.318 at 100 yds from the bench. Atlas bipod, rear bag.

The 300, 600, and 1000 yd lines weren't open. I'll try opening the distance next time.

I was going to try the 300 Scenars, and the Berger hybrids, but don't see how I can improve on the Sierras.

4r9pgk.jpg

Sportsmans had VVN560 and N570 last time I was there, $37 a lb though...

i have about 450rds through mine and yes after 200 things were loose, now i check everything after every shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas Republic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone use TSR scope rings on it yet? Am looking into buying some. Should the 1" rings work? </div></div>

i use the TSR's on 2 of my rifles, i have had no problems with them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MRBLUEDOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have about 450rds through mine and yes after 200 things were loose, now i check everything after every shoot. </div></div>

What exactly do you mean by "things"? Looks like I need to check her out. Appreciate the advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phill26</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I ordered a Nightforce 20 moa new style base (are links aloud on this site??? if not I will delete)
http://www.opticsplanet.net/nightforce-1-piece-20-moa-base-for-savage-new-style.html

Thanks for any help
smile.gif

S6308436.jpg

</div></div>

Put one on mine. Had to drill out the screw holes and countersink the top for the bigger screws, fit's like a glove.

My night force hit the front of the stock rail with the sunshade installed with NF high rings to the point where I ran out of elevation going to 1600 yards with factory ammunition. I'll take it out next week and verify it's fixed. I'm not going to bed the rail until I'm sure I don't have to shim it to go long.

keep us posted
thinking about getting this gun before they start adding taxes on internet purchases

Is that a MN thing? I know there is already a line on the tax forms to claim out of state purchases but nobody's dumb enough to put anything there...

i think that is going to be nation wide my friend !
i hope it doesent go through but who knows

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BDD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think that is going to be nation wide my friend !
i hope it doesent go through but who knows </div></div>

I've heard certain online retailers are already doing it. Amazon maybe? Or Best Buy.com? Dunno, don't buy much that isn't firearms related online.

Fortunately, I scored the 110 at the Cabela's .338 giveaway, so with tax it was still only about $60 over dealer, and I've contributed to the welfare of my state. I'm sure my state leaders will use that money wisely

I was thinking about grabbing one of these but in .300WM, the .338LM ammo cost in Australia is insane and the government is whispering about banning high power "sniper" rounds (idiots). Anyway, glad to hear they shoot well, like all savages do

hello to all,preety new to forum.i picked up a 110 ba.it shoots well and i need to find a good load any help is a bonus.the rem. ammo is 135.00 a box and that makes it out of the question.does any one know if lighter bullets will shoot good in it? what dies should i buy? too many things to consider and i would like to get advice from real shooters not key board pros.

Go right the first time and go for the redding type s match bushing die set. It comes with a neck sizer, body sizer, and micrometer bullet seated.
The general concensus is that the 110ba doesn't like the lighter bullets although some have had success. I've been shooting the Berger 300's but don't have a loads worked up with them yet as I was battling bolt lift/extraction problems until I switched from hornady to lapua brass(which, btw, go lapua right off).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas Republic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MRBLUEDOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have about 450rds through mine and yes after 200 things were loose, now i check everything after every shoot. </div></div>

What exactly do you mean by "things"? Looks like I need to check her out. Appreciate the advice. </div></div>

i have changed the extractor, ejector and springs, i upgraded the firing spring as well. watch your barrel build up, normal cleaning (bore shine & sweets) doesnt always cut it. i just went through a JB treatment. dont go more that 2 shoots without checking all of the action and stock bolts either...

right now i'm using H1000, 90.3 grns gets me 2700fps with the 300SMK's. 86.5 gets me 2650fps. with IMR4350 i couldnt get better than 2600fps same thing with RE22.

i'm getting ready to test the RE25 and see how she does.

H1000 also give me sub moa at 200yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nefariousd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phill26</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I ordered a Nightforce 20 moa new style base (are links aloud on this site??? if not I will delete)
http://www.opticsplanet.net/nightforce-1-piece-20-moa-base-for-savage-new-style.html

Thanks for any help
smile.gif

S6308436.jpg

</div></div>

Put one on mine. Had to drill out the screw holes and countersink the top for the bigger screws, fit's like a glove.

My night force hit the front of the stock rail with the sunshade installed with NF high rings to the point where I ran out of elevation going to 1600 yards with factory ammunition. I'll take it out next week and verify it's fixed. I'm not going to bed the rail until I'm sure I don't have to shim it to go long. </div></div>

i opted to stay with the rail, i had to go with US optics rings, a little pricy but i couldnt believe the quality. i also run a NF 5.5x22x56 and sun shade

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MRBLUEDOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i opted to stay with the rail, i had to go with US optics rings, a little pricy but i couldnt believe the quality. i also run a NF 5.5x22x56 and sun shade </div></div>

My 5.5-22X56 fit with the high rings, it was the 8-32x56 that was giving me trouble (guess I shoulda mentioned that part :))

Glad it worked out for you.

Premier Reticles 5-25x56 needed 11/8" Badger rings to accommodate the caps. Might just be able to find clearance with the 1" USMC rings, but it'd be really close. The scope, by the way, is magnificent.

Chip

Been looking into a monopod attachment that is a precise fit for the PSR2. I havent found one. Anyone mount a monopod yet? If so, what rail attachment did you go with?

Robert at RW Snyder Gunsmithing hooked me up with his new Falcon Menace 5x25 that came in. I dont care what other people say, she is a thing of beauty that will drive nails as far as you can see.. For the price of ONE Sako, I could buy several of these. Not a hard decision for this guy.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Longtime lurker here. Always thought it was better to listen then speak. But finding RE25 data on the net for the .338 LM has been a challenge so I thought I would share mine.
After a couple weeks of load development in my 110BA using 300 & 250 SMK's I have found excellent results with RE25 and the 250 SMK.

93.5 RE25
Lapua Brass
250 SMK
WLRM primer
3.700 C.O.l.

So far it has produced 3 shot groups @ 100 measuring .540" and .600"

Don't have a chrony. But I'm guessing they are running in the 2850-2900 fps range.

As for the 300 SMK's I have tried RE22&25 along with Retumbo and groups hang right around MOA at 200 using RE25. I even tried the Sierra "Accuracy" load which uses IMR 4350... JUNK and what was I thinking???...4350 has way too fast a burn for this cartridge.

Maybe its all in my head..but felt recoil when using RE25 and either the 250 or 300 SMK's seems to be less severe. More of a "push" than a "smack" to the shoulder when compared to the other powders.

I would have thought the 300g SMK would be far better with the 1:9 twist ratio.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas Republic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have thought the 300g SMK would be far better with the 1:9 twist ratio. </div></div>

That's what Buell was saying. I bought a 1000 of them so I hope I can get them to work. I'm doing ladders at 650 with H1000, RE25, US869 and I4350.

I can't find any VV570 around here and it's so scarce so I don't think I'm going to worry about it. I'll just keep focusing on the readily available stuff.

I have five pounds of the new Alliant Pro-power 4000 (or whatever it's called) coming to see what that can do.

I'm taking things slow on the work-ups and haven't had the bolt lock up yet; but, so far I've only gotten the 300 to 2700 with H1000 and US869

Thanks for posting, great target. Interested to know what is your COAL? Are you sticking with 3.60 or are you going longer? If so, are you loading so it fits in the 5 round magazine or are you single loading? Lastly, are you experiencing any bolt lift stiffness issues? I just picked up my 110ba in 338LPM and am currently gather load info & components. I liked what I saw from your posting and considering working the same. Also, have you made it out to any farther distances as of yet? Thanks in advance -

Anybody come up with a proven accurate load for the 110 BA in .338 yet? I was up to 88gr of H1000 with 300 smk and great at 100 yards but not so good at 200. seemed like it was pretty good at 200 yards with the jaminson brass but when I switch over to the lapua brass the same load didnt perform as well. Problem is I have a pretty good drive to get to the range so I hate wasting the gas to just try a new load. If anybody came up with something that works well please post. Thanks.

Caz, earlier f-8 listed his vv570 load, I'm currently refining a retumbo/300smk load, I should have the powder nailed down this weekend, but it's about 90.0 gr, 300smk, 0.020" from lands, zero pressure signs.

I tried a test load worked up to 85grain of H1000 with 300 SMK's and was grouping right around 1/2 MOA at 330yards and chron 2630-2640fps.

I saw f8s load and was impressed by it however the 570 powder has been discontinued and I havent been able to find any. so im experimenting with H1000 now. Please keep me informed on how your session goes this weekend.

NoVa Birdman. Please let me know what you find out. Just got some Retumbo today on a trade and have 300 pieces of 300SMK pills to play with. I know you posted 0.020" from the lands but what is your C.O.L. Still playing with N165 and Barnes 265tsx but no long data worth posting yet. What do you guys think about the 300SMK for hunting? No good load to post with N165 and
SGK 250 at this time either.

Anyone test this baby out to the one mile marker yet? I still need to get a scope and bipod but have already stocked up on 100pc Lapua brass, 50 250gr SMK, 100 300gr Berger Hybrids, H1000, and 9 1/2 magnum primers. So just a little while longer and hope to get to the range and do some testing.

ive been working on a Hornady 225gr sst load that has been good in 20mph full value wind. Lapua brass. CCI magnum primer. 94.0gr Hogdon H-1000. C.O.L of 3.565. When the wind calms down in west texas and i have the time i will test in 0-10mph wind. Groups at 100yds are 1/2moa. Groups at 500yds are on target!! Groups at 1000yds are also on target. 500 & 1000 were hard to hit in 20mph wind but did get on target after 5 & 12 rounds respectivly. Targets are man sized cut out of 1/4in steel. YHM suppressor and muzzle break are coming for the Savage (beast) 110BA .338 lapua mag. Im new to this round,and long range shooting and been reloading for about a year. Any help or suggestions will be apprecieated. Also this is my first post on any forum so forgive me for rambling. lol!!

Shot some reloads this weekend at 500yds. 85grn retumbo federal magnum primers, lapua brass. No chrono data but it was accurate. Hit clay pigeons every time i did my part right. Knocking the centers every time and the sticks below them if i goofed on my hold:) Need to get farther out now! I'll report back as I increase my load and distance, might get past 1k this coming weekend... Hope so

Bill

nice shot groups guys! but good lord! 95grains a pop? how fast do you guys burn out an 8 pound jug?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike LasVegas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice shot groups guys! but good lord! 95grains a pop? how fast do you guys burn out an 8 pound jug?</div></div>

Well however long it takes to shoot 589 rounds. 7000 grains per pound x 8 pounds = 56,000/95 = 589 rounds if you don't spill to much.

hello guys, this is my first time on snipers hide. anyway i have had my 110 ba 338 LM for about a month now and have realy enjoyed it. been reloading and getting a good load worked up. but i have noticed a little nipple mark on the shoulder of my brass. at first i thought it was just the brass maby, hoping not considering it is nosler brass and they make a good product. put 50 rounds through it and the same mark was on all 50 of them in the same spot. i came out yesterday and was shooting again now that brass is fire formed and used rcbs gold metel bushing die to size neck and bump shoulder back. getting a good group and im happy but now there is another nipple on shoulder of brass in a differant spot horisontaly but same verticaly on brass. i knew it had to be forming to the chamber. called savage and asked if there is soppost to be a small 1mm size indention in chamber, they say look at and call back. anyway there is a little perfectly round indention in chamber that i can see with a flash light. it is exactly at 3 O-clock if you are looking into chamber. it does not seem to be affecting anything other than brass and may mess up my headspace. i have not made up any crazy loads at all. going by the book on my loads other than my over all length b/c the chamber is 3.7295 with sierra 300gr MK and i have my C.O.L. at 3.7200. and retumbo powder under 94gr. do any of you guys know about this and im guessing it is not soppost to be there but if someone with same rifle can look at there camber or there shot brass for me that would be awsome. sorry for the lengthy post. thanks alot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mcgruber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot some reloads this weekend at 500yds. 85grn retumbo federal magnum primers, lapua brass. No chrono data but it was accurate. Hit clay pigeons every time i did my part right. Knocking the centers every time and the sticks below them if i goofed on my hold:) Need to get farther out now! I'll report back as I increase my load and distance, might get past 1k this coming weekend... Hope so

Bill </div></div>

what bullet are you shooting?