• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110 BA 338 LAP

Re: Savage 110 BA 338 LAP

I've been reloading for years but have no experience loading for the 338LM. Ready to order Redding type "S" Match full length die set #36594, what size TiNi bushing are you folks using. Also what is the outside neck diameter of unturned Lapua brass after being fired in the 110 BA 338 LM and what's the neck dia of your loaded rounds.

Thanks for your reply.
RJ

Went out with an army sniper team leader the other day. Im shooting my sav 110 .338 and hes shooting a .300 win mag remi. We were shooting ballons at 1000 yds. We were both hitting within 6-12 in on 3rd shot. So i guess what im saying is savage has made an awesome stick for the money!!! I changed the factory rail to a EGW HD rail in 30 moa and put a 8.5-25x50 mk 4 on top. I took it out to a mile and hit it within 10 shots. Now i have the feel of a mile im gonna try for a better result. It will put a center mass cold bore shot on steel at a grand! Shooting 2.75 in 3 shot groups at a grand (1000yds). I love this weapon!! Lapua brass, 225 gr hornady sst, 94.5gr H-1000. I would like to have a mcmillian stock for it and see if i like that better, but i do like the stock it has on it from factory. Good job Savage!!!!!

AG now that's some damn good feedback. Makes me feel allot better about my recent purchase. How many rounds do you have down range? 2.75 groups @ 1 K is Badd ASS!! Why do you feel the need to change stocks? Just askin. Keep posting range results, love the info.

Diego

Ive got only 60 rounds of brass all fired 3 times, so 180 rounds fired so far. Ive made second shot head shots at 1k after the first went center mass on man sized 1/4in steel. I dont shoot alot of groups. When i can shoot head shots at 1k and gut shots at a mile(after 9 shots, lol!) i kinda feel groups are non relavant. I do shoot groups at 100 with the m4/ accog and savage 10fp-sr .223 with yhm suppressor and leupold mk-ar, just for fun. Ive also shot prarie dogs at 550 with a savage .204 ruger. In no way am i bragging, just saying with enough practice and time behind your weapons and love of shooting i think anybody can shoot good. I am now learning how to call moa and learning range and all from army snipers. All it takes is the desire and practice.
Now the stock change is to make the weapon different from all other 110-BA's and to make it less "terminator" looking. I love the way the rifle looks now but would like it in a bell&carson or mcmillan stock. I want it to look like the Savage model 10 FCP mcMillan or something like it. I just like that look better. Less "wow" factor, but still good looking rifle.

Dont know if you got a base yet but i got mine from egw. Evolution gun works. I got a 30 moa base for around $100

did some load development and 91gr of retumbo with 300 gr smk lapua brass magazine length. shot @600 yards 4" groups.
now i just have to tweak the load. from 100yard zero 12 moa drop

Got the first round of 20 set up for testing. I am starting with 88gr going up to 91.5 of H 1000 pushing a 300gr SMK. The other round is 308 for comparison.

IMG_0055.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AIAE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you start reloading you can get match quality ammo for just over a buck....</div></div>

Well, sort of.

You still have to amortize the cost of the reloading tools (neck sizer? FL Sizer? Bullet seater), the BRASS which can range from just over a buck a case to THREE dollars a case (Lapua) which even though it can be used many times (I've read of people getting TEN reloads out of lapua brass which I think doubtful, but maybe with annealing - and that's ANOTHER cost) and so on.

Expendable reloading components (bullet, powder, primer) run about $1.25 a round for me, which beats the hell out of $4 to $5 a round NEW.

Then again, Rocky Mountain Bullets are calling me...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas Republic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have thought the 300g SMK would be far better with the 1:9 twist ratio. </div></div>

I've been playing with the JBM ballistics calculator for this load.

On some runs, certain velocities, it DOES look like the SMKs beat out the Scenars for drop and windage. I've got some of both, have some chrono numbers for the scenarios in the 2750+ range and am going to make up some hotter loads and finish ladder testing.

Right now I'm using a Leupold 4-14 power Mk4 scope for sighting and load testing, on the fence about buying a USO SN-3 or SN-9. Not sure I want to put out $3300 for a dedicated scope (SN-9) vs something with a little more utility like an SN-3 with a premier reticle.

Good luck and have fun.

still have the Leupold 8.5-25 FFP Mark IV and love it! but ive never shot anything but it and a vortex pse moa and they seem about the same to me at 1000yds. leupold on savage 110 .338 and vortex on a remi 700 .300 win mag(owned by a army sniper) both of us were hitting 8" balloons at a grand, so its anybodys choice!

Ordered mine late Friday 11/25. Arrived today.

Shipped with the funky multi-rail base in a separate box, and a 5rd 3.850" Accurate Mag.

Thinking I'll order a Murphy Precision 40 MOA base for it.
--

I might have to go after you guys for some load recipes when I get my .338. I was looking at this Savage 110BA and it seems like a very decent rifle for the price.

We were banging steel out to 1200 yards a week ago. We now have steel out to one mile, going out this week to see if the BA Will reach out and touch!

I just got mine at bob wards in missoula MT for $1750, not a bad buy. i just getting into long range shooting and was wondering what bipod to put on it? i would like something very strong and sturdy. any suggestions?

My steel is about 18x24, as for pods a good Harris is all ypu need the BA 338 does not kick much