• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage 110 fcp .338 lapua stuck cases

BarrettHunter

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2009
Nevada
I've done some looking and most of the problem is with hornady brass. It's a little too soft. Rifle has 50 rds down the tube, the first 3/4 of the bolt lift is easy, last 1/4 not good. Tried very mild reloads, 280gr Barnes lrx, 88 gr of h1000. Still sticks 80% of the time. Same with black hills, remington factory. Please help....

Re: savage 110 fcp .338 lapua stuck cases

I too have had some stuck Hornady cases. There was no problem with the factory loads, but even light reloads the bolt handle stuck or open hard. I loaded 3 barns in those cases and the fist one stuck so bad I pulled the rest. The best advice I can give you is spend the money and buy the Lapua brand brass. Ive load some pretty hot rounds and had zero problems.

Hope this helps.

i don't have the savage 338LM, but I have reloaded Hornady (but mostly Lapua) brass for my 338LM, and I have not had any problems with Hornady.

The Hornady cases are are not going to work in the Savage chamber. This came from the Hornady service department. They were very good and replaced all five boxes that I had with replacement ammo. The Savage chambers are cut very tight. If it is happening with other cases, I would have Savage look at it.

-Shaky

It is not the gun its Hornady.

It is absolutely the Hornady brass. I have a Sav 110 BA and have shot Black Hills, Lapua, Federal, Hornady, etc. The only rounds that caused a sticky bolt were the Hornady. I also occasionally shoot with other guys with the same gun. I warned one of them about the Hornady brass. His bolt stuck so bad he had to hammer the bolt open. I believe the brass is too soft. I will not use it even for reloads.

The Federal Match is great ammo and uses Lapua brass - about the best brass I know of.

Roger that budy. I have the 110BA and had the same problems. I dont remember the post and topic on here when I was asking about it but I got a lot of help. Actually Mike V and Cali_tz responded a lot to all my learning with this gun. I tried FL resizing, only neck with shoulder bump .002- FL size in incraments of .002 at a time. I kept thinking I was doing somthing wrong with trimming or sizing or somthing but nope. The only thing wrong was me not getting the good brass the first time. Many differant seating depths. The ansure for sure is the brand of brass to get. Its the most $ but get <span style="text-decoration: underline">LAPUA. LAPUA. LAPUA.</span>lol At first I had horady factory that I reloaded and then Nosler custum brass and they both gave the same problem. The bolt not wanting to pull out and once even stuck a case and bolt came out, having to push case out with cleaning rod. A friend even had this happen with factory hornady 250gr. Anyway I'v loaded 300gr bergers and SMK in my Lapua brass all the way to max load and have not had any problems at all. And have shot/reloaded some of them twice now, and still no problems.

I had the same problem with mine, didn't matter what brass, powder or bullet was used. I got tired of messing with it so its being re-barreled and re-chambered right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biggerhammer50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the same problem with mine, didn't matter what brass, powder or bullet was used. I got tired of messing with it so its being re-barreled and re-chambered right now. </div></div>

How much is something like that on the 110ba? I'm assuming your putting in a match barrel.

I have the same problem with my savage 110ba 338, Iam using lapua brass and on the third shot the brass is stick in the chamber. I just order a match grade barrel with PacNor barrels. I wont have the barrel until December. Savage is no help. The chamber are not cut right in my a opinion. The match grade barrel cost is about 600 bucks.

I would send it back to savage I had recently bought one and asked the gun shop about this problem before buying it. They told me they a herd of this problem but haven't ran into it but asked there savage rep about it and were told any problems what so ever send it back in. I've also talked to some guys that had this happen some have took it into a smith and had there chamber polished and others have just sent it back. Either way they all said the problem was fixed.

ya, when I first go mine. It was leaving a nipple on shoulder of case after firing it. It was b/c there was an indentation in chamber where shoulder lays. I sent back to savage all at zero expence to me. They put new barrel on, tested it out and sent back to me. Took about 7-8 weeks, even got 5 rounds of lapua brass out the deal.lol. I have had very good luck with there service/warrenty department. I do have to say they dont say much over the phone until they know you have a real problem. Im sure they get a lot of cazy people out there. One thing for sure, if you have reloaded for the gun, witch I know you have'nt
wink.gif
. Make sure you only have shot your factory loads and send them in with your gun after shooting them. Do not mention reloading other than you would like to after you get problem solved. Go to savagearms.com and look at there warrenty page, you will see that your gun will be fixed for sure, as long as you havn't had longer than 1 year.

I have not had a problem with my nosler brass as long as I stay under 91.5gr retumbo, and with my lapua brass I have no problems all the way to max load 94.0gr retumbo with 300gr bergers or SMK's.

I know one thing for sure, dont through that savage barrel away if you put a custom one on your self.

Thats the only reason I shoot factory loads at first to make sure nothing is wrong with rifle. I have seen plenty of hornady cases get stuck even with factory stuff. 250gr and 285gr. Good luck
smile.gif