• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110- stock options:

InTTruder

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2012
Dallas, GA
Not THAT kind of stock!

ANyone upgraded their stock recently? I have a 11o in .308 that shoots too well to put out to pasture (and I no longer routinely engage in 2-way action). So, ideas and stories appreciated.

Kind regards-

Re: Savage 110- stock options:

When I owned my 110FP, I replaced the OEM stock with the Choate Tactical stock. Heavy, yes, but the ergos were decent, it was pretty dang stout, and the barrel channel clearance was, uh, "sufficient" for dang near any barrel profile that one would fit to a Savage.

Manners will also inlet their stocks for Savage long actions. This would be significantly pricier than the Choate option, but Manners stocks are top-notch and well worth the extra cost.

Mine is in a McMillian A5

025-6.jpg

I have one in a McMillian A2. I plan on getting CDI bottom metal for it. The XLR chassis can also be made to fit it as well.

Here is mine in an A3
bradgunpic-1.jpg

If you don't want to wait, you can get an Hs precision, boyds, or bell and carlson. If it's not used for serious competition, I would vote for the Hs Precision. If it was a long option, you would be severly limited.

My first Savage LA build was set in a factory target stock I picked up from Numrich. It was meant for a 110 SF with a blind mag, but it worked just fine for a single loaded 111 CF action. I ended up parting out the rifle, and going with a 10FP-HS, and now a 12 LRP in .260. I still have the barrel from that build, and will be building it up again.

IMG_3001.jpg

...but next time I will be making the 6.5x55 a repeater using the XLR chassis.

I bought Eric Bryants 110FP...you have several options according to your patience and wallet...

BTW ERIC BRYANT...she is shooting .21-.26 3 shot groups with 175gr FGMM over and over and over again... ;-)

1. Choate Tactical, available NOW for about $225

2. A Stockade made for your rifle, 3-5 month wait, $400+

3. Manners, H&S or McMillan, 3-5 month wait $500-$1500

Here's mine...

http://www.warriortalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21553&d=1334367215

with DBM...

http://www.warriortalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21552&d=1334367163

Really, really, REALLY wish Bell & Carlson would start making the A2 Medalist (and/or A3 and M40) for the Savage 110 long action...

I too have a Choate Tactical, not a bad stock for the price. Had to do a little work on it to get it to fit properly, but nothing major. I would definitely buy another.

IMAG0539.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really, really, REALLY wish Bell & Carlson would start making the A2 Medalist (and/or A3 and M40) for the Savage 110 long action... </div></div>

If ENOUGH Savage owners started contacting them adn saying they will NOT buy a SA stock until they start supporting the LA they might...I've been waging a war with them for a couple of years...they have a snob mentality towards Savage...only Remington are real rifles worthy of complete support...They have as much told me so...

Capt Beach

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too have a Choate Tactical, not a bad stock for the price. Had to do a little work on it to get it to fit properly, but nothing major. I would definitely buy another.

IMAG0539.jpg
</div></div>

I would like to know if the Choate tactical is heavy?

I did a comparison a while back as I recall the Choate Tactical in LA Savage is something like 13oz heavier than say a McMillan or a Manners of the same ilk...13 or so OZ vs 1/3 to 1/4 the cost....I call the Choate a poor mans A5...ergonomics are 95% of the A5...so close you would think they'd end up in court over it...

I just ordered a stockade rollover for a 110 hunting rifle in 30-06 that I'm building for my brother. Looking at a 12-16 week wait right now. I'm not in a hurry so no big deal, just FYI. I've not used one before, so I don't have first hand experience but they came highly recommended as a hunting stock.

If your gun is a stagger feed (older models with the mag box attached to the action) the Bell & Carlson DuraMaxx is a surprisingly decent $100 stock. It needs a little fitting to float the tang but for a carry/hunting stock it's a great stock for the money.

If you have a center feed, your options are more limited, either make it work with a stagger feed stock or order a Manners, McMillan, Sharpshooter Supply, Stockade, Russo, etc. There doesn't seem to be that many drop-in center feed long action stocks on the market (unlike the 4.40" center feed short action, for which stocks are increasingly more available). I bought a center feed Stevens 200 for something like $190 and ended up getting a Manners MCS-T stock. Worked great, but it should for $450 plus cost to have a gunsmith bed it (you can also get it with pillars installed and be GTG).

If you don't mind doing some fitting work yourself, the rifle I have pictured above is a CF LA in a SF stock.

LA Savages use the same bolt spacing between the CF and SF rifles, unlike the SA which are different.