• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110BA .338 Lapua Bipod Mount Question

Ncmedic964

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2013
Feel free to move this if this isn't the proper forum.

Hello, my name is Scott Rice. I purchased the Savage 110BA in .338 Lapua Magnum. I will be purchasing a Sightron SIII 10-50x60mm optic and plan to mount it with Badger Ordnance 30mm xtra high rings. This brings up my first question, would you recommend scraping the rail that comes on the rifle and upgrading or is the stock rail fine? If an upgrade is necessary, what would you recommend?
Next, I plan to use an Atlas Accu-shot bipod but the 110BA only has a short piece of square stock with a sling mount rather than a section of rail at the front of the stock (see attached pic.)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364594547.600462.jpg

To fix this issue I am planning to use the BT28 AFAR Kit from Accu-Shot. (Pic below) however, the stock will need drilled and tapped to make this a secure fit and to keep it in a forward position like I want it, correct?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364594604.439682.jpg

Thanks for your time have a great day.

I thought about replacing the "tacti-cool" mount also, I heard it would help if you were experiencing accuracy issues. But I am not a fan of savage actions so i traded it off for a Remington XCR 338 lapua.

I ditched the stock tacticool rail on my 110BA and put a 20 MOA egw steel base on. If you're ok with the looks and weight of the stock rail you'll be fine. If i remember correctly it already has 20 MOA of cant built into it.
You'll be fine modifying the stick to accept the atlas bipod.
On a side note, what is making you go with "extra high" rings? I'm not even sure they're needed with the stock rail, and if you go with a standard rail most low rings will fit the bill quite nicely. You want the scope as low as possible as a general rule.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the reply. I'm only considering the extra high rings because I was under the impression they would be needed in order to allow the 60mm objective to clear. Is this not the case?

With the stock rail and a 60mm objective you should only need about 34-36mm high rings, measured center of ring opening to base.

I did this on my 110BA until I just got tired of the thing and just replaced the stock with a Manners T5-A replaced the barrel but yes it will work just use the rear sling stud for your bottom hole and drill another up front, that way you can go back to the original if needed but the original mount sucks. I also found the chassis to be to heavy to get the Atlas to funtion correctly. Below are pic's of my 110BA (338LM) with the new rail attached setting next to it's little brother 10BAS (308) before I put it in a new AICS stock. I used the BT20 because the hole spacing was better and I it comes with (3) pieces so I was able to do the 10BAS the same way before the stock change.

DSC00118_zps244ee910.jpg

The process takes about 10 min to do, just use nylon nuts and your good to go. my advise is to stick with the Harris on this chassis and get a quick release from Ameican Defense.
American Defense MFG, LLC | Browse | Bipod Mounts | AD-BP Bipod Mount
Good Luck
Sully

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I'm still a little confused on what size rings I will need. If your thinking is correct and I need 34-36 mm ring height by my calculations that would be roughly 1.4". If I go with badger ordnance rings like I plan to that's an "ultra high" ring. (See pic).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365011229.329773.jpg

Sorry to keep asking I just don't want to order the wrong height rings.

Thanks for the replies. I'm still a little confused on what size rings I will need. If your thinking is correct and I need 34-36 mm ring height by my calculations that would be roughly 1.4". If I go with badger ordnance rings like I plan to that's an "ultra high" ring. (See pic).

View attachment 3960

Sorry to keep asking I just don't want to order the wrong height rings.

Well, I just looked at a pic of the stock scope rail and noticed that it dips down where the objective. It looks to be at least 5-6mm of relief.
The ultra high will work, but i think you can go with their 30mm tall rings and have 3-4mm clearance.

Badger ordnance doesn't sell rings measured in mm of height. I think you are looking at the ring diameter. All badger rings are sold in height measured in inches. The ultra high measure 1.4" to center of ring, the next step down is the extra high ring at 1.25" and then the high at 1.125

I used the AFAR kit and by filing the square inner part of the supplied nuts they fit nicely in the bottom channel of the Savage stock. This puts my Atlas behind the original sling stud. It also allows you to move the bipod farther back if you had any desire to do that. Does not require removing the sling stud or drilling into the stock. Took me about 15 minutes with a simple bastard file to get the proper fit. You do need to use the longer of the supplied screws that come with the AFAR kit. Hope this helps.
Also my 56MM nightforce sits on Badger high rings and with the sunshade on there is still barely room for BC caps with the factory rail. If you keep the stock rail, which I did for the time being, it needs to be bedded. A Badger rail will be on mine in the future I just don't care for the looks of the factory rail and it catches on everything.

Hope yours shoots as well as mine!

I have the 110ba and am using the tacticool rail. I have the viper 6-24x50 with butter caps on there with burris x-treme medium rings and have about 0.070" clearance. I hope that helps your calculations.

I too have a spare atlas bipod I want to mount on this rifle, but have not done the mod. I was hoping Savage would come up with a movable picatinny rail for that long bottom slot, but they have not yet.