• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage 110E Bolt problem

s4b1106

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2009
Idaho
My Lt. brought a used Savage to me to go through prior to giving it to a young relative as a gift. It is a 110E in .270 Win, in the 910XXX serial range. Upon examination, the bolt head retaining pin was broken in half through the firing pin passage hole, and only half of the pin is still there. A quick call to Brownells and they do not have the part. A much longer call to Savage and I found that it is an old enough model that Savage no longer stocks parts. Numerich Arms does not have one, and Jack First has a constant busy signal. I don't know where else to go for this part, and I am tight on time. I do have a lathe, and it appears to be a simple part. Does anybody have the dimensions, and any idea whether the part is heat treated or not?

You will need to disassemble the bolt to replace it. While you have the firing pin out you need to measure the firing pin in the area that the pin passes through. I believe the E has the large diameter firing pin and cross pin hole. Dry firing many times was probably the culprit and was the reason for Savage going to the smaller pin.

For the easiest fix you could use the new part and drill the hole out to fit the older larger diameter firing pin. I would speculate that the cross pin is hardened chrome-moly. Here is a little info on the firing pin diameters.
New Page 4

Contact Lisa at the email address to the right and hint that you are LE or military looking for help. [email protected]

Last edited:
Looks like it is out of stock everywhere. Midway shows them as "overdue".

I can send you one if you would replace it when they become available.

Thanks for the info. I would happily replace one, but I wouldn't want to leave you in a bind if they take forever to get back in. Particularly, if I can make one. Any idea if the later model firing pin assembly will work in the older bolt? If so, that might be the best answer. I had the bolt apart, and the cocking pin has worn flat where it rides the cock I g notch in the bolt body. Replacing all of the guts to the bolt may be the best answer.

Yes, all the parts interchange since 1967. The only things that need to match are the firing pin diameter with the retaining pin diameter.

The two firing pin diameters are .100" for the new firing pins, and .150" for the older firing pins. I believe the hole in the retaining pin is .005" oversize.

Btw, Numrich has a complete long action bolt on Ebay for $146 with a 223 bolt head and legged front baffle. Those long action 223 bolt heads are not very common and nice to have around once in a while.

There's a couple other complete 30-06 bolts as well for about $100.

Thanks for the info. That gives me enough to fix it for now and plan on a long term fix as well.

That is first rate. And first rate is what I have found with members here and that is why I hang around here!

Just wanted to post here because I had the exact same part break on me and it was impossible to find online. Brownell's still shows it as out of stock and past due their original estimation.

I found this part available from Ahlmans They're in Morristown, MN. I got their name/address from a Savage form letter that they send you when they tell you they don't support pre-1995 rifles.
Ahlman's doesn't have an online parts search, or even a online order form, which is why you wouldn't have turned them up on Google before.

Anyways, just ordered 2 from them. Wish I would have called sooner.

I had a couple of Sav 110 bolts taken apart and was trying to put longer bolt handles on. I ran into some problems.

Then I had a cleaning patch stuck in a 223 chamber neck and the the thing went over pressure. The case head got big and stuck. When I smacked it out of the bolt head, I lost the extractor... way out in the safe brush.

I somehow got through these problems by buying parts. Sharpshooter or Ebay or someplace
Sav 110 223 bolt taken apart 2-23-2013.jpg